Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More piccies of units on Firaxis website!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More piccies of units on Firaxis website!

Look at the flash animation above the civ3 units. It appears to reveal units!

Archer
    Tank/Armour
    Mounted Brave (presumable Iroquois special unit)
    Trireme (I presume)
    Fighter (Spitfire, presumably early fighter)
    War Chariot
    Helicopter (Chinook, not a gunship, perhaps unit transport)
    Knight
    Stealth Fighter
    Impi (Zulu special unit)
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Re: More piccies of units on Firaxis website!

Originally posted by Provost Harrison

Look at the flash animation above the civ3 units. It appears to reveal units!
    Heck, you beat me for a bunch of minutes!

Trireme (I presume)
    Check, it has only an order of oar (is this the word?), not three as a trireme! But of course can be simplyfied

Fighter (Spitfire, presumably early fighter)
    Exact, probably one of the last series (seems to me it has a 4 blade propeller, but still the wings ending with tips)

Helicopter (Chinook, not a gunship, perhaps unit transport)
    Stealth Fighter
    Correct, CH46/47 Chinook usually is a transport copter. The stealth fighter is the old F117 Nighthawk (odd, but it's already quite an old plane
    "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
    - Admiral Naismith

Comment

I still can't wait to see a screen shot with modern units in it, but these will have to do. With Firaxis releasing a pic of a chinook, i'd say air transport is almost certainly in the game. whether or not the chinook will automatically pick up a unit if it flys over it and several other things like off loading and range still need to be answered. I don't like the view of the airplanes they gave us. A top down view of a plane wouldn't fit in with the perspective of the map. I think a side view would be alot better.

(I love the new smileys! )

Comment

That doesn't look much like a Trireme to me.

Actually, interestingly enough, I think it looks more like a Viking longboat. Sorta makes you go Hmmmmm.....

Comment

They aren't calling them triremes this time around but a galley instead.

Still looks more like a longboat to me too.

Comment

Originally posted by dearmad
            They aren't calling them triremes this time around but a galley instead.
            Correct! Thanks to have pointed out this
            "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
            - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Originally posted by H Tower
              I don't like the view of the airplanes they gave us. A top down view of a plane wouldn't fit in with the perspective of the map. I think a side view would be alot better.
              In another thread there is something about air units having "operational range" instead of actually being on the map. This would explain the view not fitting with the map.

Comment

Originally posted by shum00

In another thread there is something about air units having "operational range" instead of actually being on the map. This would explain the view not fitting with the map.
                The fact that they are renderings would also explain it.
                Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by Bleyn
                  That doesn't look much like a Trireme to me.

Actually, interestingly enough, I think it looks more like a Viking longboat. Sorta makes you go Hmmmmm.....
                  Yup, and a native indian on horseback. That doesn't match with the Iroquois. Hmmmm, indeed.
                  Golfing since 67

Comment

Re: Re: More piccies of units on Firaxis website!

Originally posted by Adm.Naismith
                    Check, it has only an order of oar (is this the word?), not three as a trireme! But of course can be simplyfied
                    Look closer. It does have three oars. Two in the water and one up in the air.
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Oh my......That there tank was no normal armor.

Why that was a T-34 and the Aircraft was a Spitfire...

Is firaxis not telling us everything, maybe going to suprise us!?

Comment

I am sure I recall Firaxis saying that they have animated some units for a WWII scenario, perhaps Dan could confirm this, but there is a chance that the T-34 and the Spitfire could be in the scenario and not in the standard game. However the Spitfire could represent an early fighter (as opposed to later fighters such as the stealth fighter) and the T-34 could be an early tank (perhaps the Abrams represents later tanks). But who knows, I think the WWII idea is probably the most feasible but we will have to wait for confirmation...

...and it is nice to see I have made the headlines again
                        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

About the boat...
                          It actually has FOUR oars, not three... to be presice, eight oars = four pairs
                          And for more about the boat, it looks very much the viking longboat and maybe it is... a BARBARIAN boat!
                          Maybe the barbarians come in different sizes and shapes, depending on the region
                          I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                            I am sure I recall Firaxis saying that they have animated some units for a WWII scenario, perhaps Dan could confirm this, but there is a chance that the T-34 and the Spitfire could be in the scenario and not in the standard game. However the Spitfire could represent an early fighter (as opposed to later fighters such as the stealth fighter) and the T-34 could be an early tank (perhaps the Abrams represents later tanks). But who knows, I think the WWII idea is probably the most feasible but we will have to wait for confirmation...

...and it is nice to see I have made the headlines again
                            That sounds logical, but what about the longboat and the Native Indian on horseback (definitely not Iroquois, or at least it definitely shouldn't be)? It is possible, as Sabre2th mentioned that Firaxis has some surprises in store. Perhaps they are planning to include some units so that people can make their own special Civs.

Then again, these could be old preliminary designs that were discarded.

By the way, that's not a T-34. It doesn't have the sloping front and the wheels are too small. It more closely resembles a Panzer III or possibly a Panzer IV.
                            Last edited by Tingkai; September 6, 2001, 07:44.
                            Golfing since 67

Comment

>>>>>
                              what about ... the Native Indian on horseback (definitely not Iroquois, or at least it definitely shouldn't be)?
                              >>>>>

Could the Native American brave be how Firaxis decided to represent the Scout unit?

Comment

Working...
                              X