Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who else is worried that Civ3 will be too different from civ2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rommel393
    i think you got exactly what you asked for... civ3 is basically going to be civ2 on a lot of steroids with some breast implants.

The old things are better (hence the steroids) and there are new things like the trade system, armies, etc (hence the implants).
    I agree: Firaxis are not stupid - they know there's a HUGE amount of Civ people who are willing to pay good money for a game which is essentially the same game as the Civ-games previously released. There was no fundamental change from Civ to CivII and I'm willing to bet that CivIII will be more of the same - no revolution, only evolution.

Not that I'm disappointed - I mean, if you want something different there's plenty of other projects out there, commercial as well as non-commercial, with truely new ideas on how to take on an Empire building game, like Manifest Destiny and Clash of Civilizations, most of which are listed right here on Apolython - no reason why Firaxis should ruin the essential concept of Civilization to go an try something new. So don't worry

While I'm personally looking forward to seeing what the future will bring with regards to development in this genre, this will not prevent me from buying CivIII. I played CivII only the other night and still enjoy it immensely

The thing I miss the most is actually the Replay feature of CivI - why on Earth did they remove this?

Comment

-lousy cheap computer-generated wonder movies that only children like

Uh no... more like NO wonder movies.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

yayy
        it is civII with wining stuf like SMAC!
        just wat i want
        and culture
        and trade...
        but no moovys and trown room
        but a palace!
        Just my 2p.
        Which is more than a 2 cents, about one cent more.
        Which shows you learn something every day.
        formerlyanon@hotmail.com

Comment

All the changes from Civ 2 to Civ 3 are IMHO good changes
          The palace is back, the replay is back, trade is replaced with a useful system, culture prevents rogue cities in the middle of your empire... I dont even mind the lack of wonder movies.

However, i will really miss my advisors... Not that they told me anything useful, but they were fun and interesting to watch
          *cough ForeignAdvisor cough*
          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Civ 3 is a conservative sequel... so the whol egame was not revamped in the search of a revolution... the changes that were made seem to be good, and they are definitley not too different from civ II. I guess this will be civ II with few major new fetatures (resources/ culture/ special units), and ther rest is just made better ( graphics/ trade/war/ AI -I guess).
            Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
            GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

IMO, the release of civ3 will be very similar to the release of simcity 3000. at first people were expecting a completely new 3D game but the developers decided on adding more features, more gameplay changes, and better 2D graphics.

personally, from what i've read so far, i like the changes being done for civ3.
              Project Leader of Civiliza, an Alternative Civilization game based on Civ 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                ... the replay is back...
                Ah splendid!
                ... I dont even mind the lack of wonder movies.
                Neither do I. I only watched them once anyway. Important thing is that the actual gameplay is spiced with just the correct amouth of bells and whistles.
                However, i will really miss my advisors...
                Well, I wont miss them. As with the Wonder movies I only watched them all once, then switched them off. Oh well each to his own
                Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave
                Civ 3 is a conservative sequel... so the whol egame was not revamped in the search of a revolution... the changes that were made seem to be good, and they are definitley not too different from civ II. I guess this will be civ II with few major new fetatures (resources/ culture/ special units), and ther rest is just made better ( graphics/ trade/war/ AI -I guess).
                Exactly - couldn't have said it better myself

Comment

I am happy. In fact I wouldn't mind even more change from Civ2.
                  Rome rules

Comment

Hmmmm, Yin thinks its Civ 2.5 you think it is Civ 8.

IMHO, This is at most an upgrade and I believe that Yin is right. It is very conservative upgrade. The only Item that is entirely new is culture.

That does not mean I do not like what they have done. In fact I do like all the additions, especially the interface -s. There is no radical departure from Civ I or Civ II that I see.

Comment

Originally posted by jglidewell
                      The only Item that is entirely new is culture.
                      Resources as a prerequisite for building units will completely change the game dynamics - Rather than going to war with the Zulus 'cuz they annoy you (ala Civ2), you have to balance in a number of factors.

The Zulus may have a resource that you need, and are trading it with you. But once you go to war with them, you dont have any access to that resource. In this situation it would be a good idea to pick on someone else, or be peaceful.

On the other hand, the Zulus may have a resource that you need, but refuse to trade it with you. In this situation, you would be almost required to invade those pesky Zulus to gain access to the resource.

A reason to go to war is a radical departure from Civ I / Civ II IMO
                      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I think it will be just fine as they have designed it, based on Civ 1, not Civ2.
                        Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Re: Who else is worried that Civ3 will be too different from civ2?

Originally posted by GP

Instead we've got:

-wierd trade/support system
                          Don't worry GP. After a couple of months even you'll grasp this concept.

-culture
                          On this issue I must admitt there is no hope for you

-no ELVIS!!!
                          We agree, but don't let it go to your head

-lousy cheap computer-generated wonder movies that only children like
                          Drink a coke and relax GP. Movies are boring after a while and they are O U T

Here's a dollar of my money, do you want more

Comment

exactly.

you want civ3, you don't want civ 2.5.

think back a bit.

Civ1. then came civ 2. and what did it add?

a "weird" diplomacy system.

just like your "weird" resource system.

maybe civ4 will feature a "weird" religion system

keep on going stong sid.
                            "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                            - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Re: Re: Who else is worried that Civ3 will be too different from civ2?

Originally posted by paiktis22

Don't worry GP. After a couple of months even you'll grasp this concept.

On this issue I must admitt there is no hope for you

We agree, but don't let it go to your head

Drink a coke and relax GP. Movies are boring after a while and they are O U T

Here's a dollar of my money, do you want more
                              Hey fooker! BTW, I liked your comment about how euro types need to start taking care of own selves...stop relying on/blaming Uncle Sam...

And the movies and advisors gave the game a special feel when I was a newbie. I could do without them now...but doesn't Sid want to attract new players?

Comment

No,
                                I'm worried civ3 will be too close to civ2 still, though civ3's new features and additions seem more than enough to make it well worth getting.
                                I'm unhappy that there dosen't seem to be much change in the Tech tree and am not convinced there will be many new units added, and theres still the big problem of only 8 civs playing at once.
                                If i want another civ2 i'll play civ2, I hope civ3 is far better, keeping the good parts of civ2.
                                I'm sure there'll be a civ4 when they've got the profits from civ3 to make it,
                                hopefully 4 will be a full3D game with realtime battle scenes ( oh dear the civ inquisition will flail me alive )

PJ

Comment

Working...
                                X