Capture catapults and cannons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capture catapults and cannons?

As far as I know, in civ3 the human player has some chance to capture AI workers.
    As workers could have a defense value of 0 (umm.. still not sure about that), will other units with a defensive value of 0, as catapults could have, be capturable?. Has anybody heard something about it?.
    Guess we will have to wait and see... but that would be a nice new feature.

I highly doubt it.
    However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

I hope so, as catapults alone shall be able to do noting (without infantry to control them). They are support units, and if such units are left behind, what stops another unit from taking them. I guess that they shouldn't be able to disband themselves either.
      Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

I think its silly they have to be "manned" the building of a unit should also represent the crew of the unit too- are we going to need to "man" battleships and the other naval units? How about missiles? Those need to be controlled by people too- tanks??

It's stupid that way. However I DO like the fact that they don't kill other units, just wound them and structures. That makes more sense.

Comment

Originally posted by TechWins
          I highly doubt it.
          me too
          it would be cool bnut i bet you its not in
          And God said "let there be light." And there was dark. And God said "Damn, I hate it when that happens." - Admiral

Comment

no sense?

Hmmm, a catapult killing no units? Makes no sense to me either. Of course for a catapult, the change to hit a man alone is minimal, but throw the stones on an attacking army (irl a mass invasion) still makes victims.

But it should make sense if a catapult causes more damage to structures then to units.
            -------------------------------><------------------------------
            History should be known for learning from the past...
            Nah... it only shows stupidity of mankind.

Comment

cataoults are not traditionally used to fire at a group of chariots, iirc

they are used for barraging a fortress / castle / city and pummeling it until infantry / calvary can move in.

civ3 should represent this.

is it the same thing as the SMAC barrage (artillery) ?
              "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
              - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

UberKruX is right. Catapults are not used to shot stones on armies. And if it were it would be very ineffective if the armies not were extremely big. One person can avoid a shot from a catapult as a stone takes some time to fall. It is also hard to aim with it.
                Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Dunno

Well I guess that throwing a big rock to some infantry is useless, but throwing all a bunch of little rocks, couldn't it be useful in some way? I personnally don't know, but I know it was used as such in Ages of Empires.
                  Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

Re: Capture catapults and cannons?

Originally posted by Alfonsus72
                    As far as I know, in civ3 the human player has some chance to capture AI workers.
                    As workers could have a defense value of 0 (umm.. still not sure about that), will other units with a defensive value of 0, as catapults could have, be capturable?. Has anybody heard something about it?.
                    Guess we will have to wait and see... but that would be a nice new feature.
                    ala Cossacks, where it works very well, provided the player has the option of disbanding the cannon/catapult befor eit is captured, to prevent it being captured.
                    Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                    "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

If Catapults are taken as symbolic for the whole range of ancient wooden range (non-archery) weapons, then they could be used in non-seige battles. Don't you guys recall the opening battle of the movie Gladiator? The Romans were throwing all kinds of things at the barbarian army. The Romans had a lot of range weapons for that very purpose, since so many of their armies weren't based in fortified cities. Various mini-catapults about as tall as a person, some looking like large crossbows. Even if you don't hit people all the time, its a great fear weapon.

Anyways, if there's a chance to capture workers, then its probably a feature that can be turned on or off for each unit. So you could make your own mod that allows the capture of certain units, if the game doesn't come that way.

Comment

posted by dearmad
                        I think its silly they have to be "manned" the building of a unit should also represent the crew of the unit too- are we going to need to "man" battleships and the other naval units? How about missiles? Those need to be controlled by people too- tanks?
                        my thoughts exactly dearmad! manning a catapult adds nothing to gameplay, it adds little to strategy...the only thing it adds to is MICROMANAGEMENT! in civ you are the spirit of the civilization, not a company commander, or platoon leader

however i think (hope?) that manning units is a rumor, from the screen shots i've seen that a catapults stats are 0(4).0.1 so this means that it has no attack or defense values but instead has a bombard value like what was found in SMAC, so this means that a catapult can't actually kill any units (except for other bombard units), so in oder to make the best use of a bombard unit you'd need to operate it in coordination with normal units...using the catapult to soften up hardend targets like greek hoplites in a city and then once you weaken them you attack with legions to actually kill them...this is what i hope it means

if not, and if you actually have to continously have to stack other units with bombard units this will just be a major annoyance...if this idea gets in and M.A.D. doesn't then we know firaxis let one slip away!

Comment

I'm willing to bet cold hard cash that there will not be manning of catapults. Each unit you build is supposed to be built manned. Catapults will NOT be manned.

What i like is that you can use the catapults to destroy city walls. I never found artillery in SMAC to be anything more than a nuisance. Also, I have trouble with city walls in Civ sometimes. Some of the guys in there just wont die, and you have to have too big of an attack force for it to be worth my while. so i pump out diplomats for sabotage, but you don't know whether he'll get the city walls, and then you lose the fugging diplomat after each attempt. Thats why i like spies better, they wont die automatically. Which brings me to another threads topic, how will espionage be handled?

So many questions, I'm dizzy. Or maybe I'm just having a stroke.
                          Retired, and it feels so good!

Comment

On the subject of having to use another unit to man a catapult or cannon, I'm indifferent at this point. I'd rather wait and see what actually happens, and get better details.

On capturing, I'm all for it. Especially if a catapult or cannon unit is caught on its own. Yes they would have the crews serving the weapons, but with 17th-19th century cannon at least, they did not have enough, if any, organic infantry to really defend themselves. The best the artillery crews could often do on their own was spike the cannon to make them useless to enemy until a master gunsmith could repair it. And I would bet catapults had similar defensive issues.

I'd also like to see city walls do a disappearance, like the barracks do, when cannon appear. The straight up and down fortifications that were adequate for defense against a catapult were useless against all but the earliest cannon. The Alamo is a perfect example of this. It was a frontier garrison fortification that was perfectly adequate for defense against Native Americans and bandits with only small arms, but perfectly useless against the artillary of a real 19th century army. Those guys were just plain doomed and stupid to hole up in there like they did. They would have done much better to emulate the guerilla warfare tactics of the Revolutionary war.

And if there must be a post cannon city walls, limit it to only towns under a certain size. The fortifications required to protect a town against a siege with cannon just weren't feasible for the big cities.

Comment

formations

Hmmm,

I think a catapult WILL be useful against infantry, grouped in certain formations, like the famous roman Phalanx. In civ 2 phalanx is a Unit, but i.r.l. it was a formation of roman soldiers.
                              Those formations usually march straight ahead, unless the casualties become to big. So a catapult could at least break those formations, which otherwise would have been way to strong for the enemy.

A catapult to be used mainly as a bomarding unit of course makes sense, but then it must be possible to:
                              a: attack from a long range and
                              b: to defend it with other units.

And a long rang means out of reach of "normal units". And units like horse or something also should be considered as "normal units", so a striking distance of 2 makes no sense. At least make it 3 so a horse also needs 2 turns to reach a catapult.
                              In this case however, the catapult should hardly be able to kill the horse, though giving it some damage could be a possibility.

Grtx
                              History should be known for learning from the past...
                              Nah... it only shows stupidity of mankind.

Comment

Working...
                              X