Multiple Resources For Units Confirmed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple Resources For Units Confirmed

quoted from civ3.comThe Rider is an upgraded version of the Knight. Like the knight, it requires both iron and horses to build,
    looks like units will require more than one resource.

i always thougth that, but now it's confirmed.
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

This has far reaching implications for some of the more modern units, who may require many resources
    http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

But the thing to remember is that you only need one of each resource in your empire or by trade route to make a unit. So by the end game you should have most resources without much worry. There will probably be an advisor saying what you need and when.

I really think by the end game you will have a handle on what resources you have, need, or can do without fairly easily.
      About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

The modern units don't require many resources. The jet needs, like, oil and iron, and i don't think a unit will even need three resources. besides, by the time you're making jets, you should have enough of a trade network going that it should not matter.
        Retired, and it feels so good!

Comment

I would assume that each age's units requires an additional resource than the previous age's units. A jet might need oil, iron, rubber, and something for electronics while a hoplite would only need a metal for shields and spears.
          "I agree with everything i've heard you recently say-I hereby applaud Christantine The Great's rapid succession of good calls."-isaac brock
          "This has to be one of the most impressive accomplishments in the history of Apolyton, well done Chris"-monkspider (Refering to my Megamix summary)
          "You are redoing history by replaying the civs that made history."-Me

Comment

i dont think hoplites require anything.

a FIRAXXIAN said that archers require nothing to build, but chariots need horsies.
            "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
            - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

The modern units don't require many resources. The jet needs, like, oil and iron, and i don't think a unit will even need three resources.
              isaac brock

i don't think you are correct...from what i've heard tanks will require iron, oil, and rubber so i'm sure that the stealth bomber will require at least three resources if not more

Comment

Originally posted by isaac brock
                The modern units don't require many resources. The jet needs, like, oil and iron, and i don't think a unit will even need three resources.
                Tanks need three resources. From a GameSpot UK Preview (http://www.gamespot.co.uk/stories/pr...7326-3,00.html):

If the iron-controlling civilization wants to build tanks, they need oil, rubber, and iron, but if those other resources are controlled by two other civilizations then they must be careful. If the dominant iron civilization enters into the rubber-controlling civilization, then the oil civilization may see that as a potential threat and ally with the rubber-controlling civilization to fight off the invasion.
                "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

Wage War?

with all of these differnet resources needed to create units, especially modern ones; how hard will it be to field an army capable of taking any meaningful action? It would stink if you couldn't have the most advanced units if your resources are used up. while more realistic, i'd rather fight than micromanage the use of my resources.

Comment

This is perfect for customizing.
                    Now if you just can add your own (new) resources to the game everything is perfect on the resource front.
                    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

It now makes sense to build cities in a pattern that covers all the squares It also means that being a pure conquest strategy is going to be a lot harder to achieve.
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                        It now makes sense to build cities in a pattern that covers all the squares It also means that being a pure conquest strategy is going to be a lot harder to achieve.
                        Not necessarily, you may use colonies, and you may wait for big borders.
                        Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Re: Wage War?

Originally posted by H Tower
                          with all of these differnet resources needed to create units, especially modern ones; how hard will it be to field an army capable of taking any meaningful action? It would stink if you couldn't have the most advanced units if your resources are used up. while more realistic, i'd rather fight than micromanage the use of my resources.
                          I think you're in the minority, Tower. I believe most of us are thankful that the game is going to be a bit more complex than simply churning out tanks for conquest (well, it's always been more complex than just that, but you get my drift.) I think this is one of the best innovations implemented, and possibly the best.

Just my opinion, but I strongly feel it is mirrored in others.

Dan Maghaha, in describing his 'peaceful' Civ3 game, mentioned how he had to get aggressive with the Americans to procure much-needed oil. I can't wait to deal with a civ for a needed item, whether through diplomacy, espionage, or outright warfare. It will (presumably) make gameplay so much deeper. Of course, I respect your opinion, but I heartily disagree.

Comment

I think fighting for resources will be the main reason for war in Civ III - Perfectly realistic. I wonder how AI would respond to this kind of situation and how agressive it will be in pursuing resources.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                              No actually this new strategy makes it so that doesn't make any sense at all. You are going to need to build buildings for culture to expand your borders. Building settlers will not allow you to build the culture buildings and so you may have tons of cities but you will not have any borders to get the resources.
                              About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Working...
                              X