No announcement yet.

12 major wonders??? Is that enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just checked the CivFanatics page too. They confirm the 12 Major, 24 Small wonder total.

They also mention that SDI is now a Small Wonder, rather than a city improvement. Things are getting interesting...
    Eine Spritze gegen Schmerzen, bitte.

Comment

The 'Seven Wonders of the World' is the whole point between the wonder system in the civ games... I agree with DarkCloud, it would be silly to have any number other than 7 per age - At the very least there should be a multiple of 7 wonders, even if they can't manage 7 in each age

Comment

If there is 36 wonders in total, there should be 7 wonders for each age and the rest could be stuff like 'Manhaton Project'. In the wonders of the world screen, only those 7 for each age should appear, the rest should appear as 'Achievments'.
        Alex

Comment

Originally posted by Alex 14
          If there is 36 wonders in total, there should be 7 wonders for each age and the rest could be stuff like 'Manhaton Project'. In the wonders of the world screen, only those 7 for each age should appear, the rest should appear as 'Achievments'.
          Maybe 'minor wonder' was only a working title during the alpha stage of Civ3 and they are called 'achievement' in the gold version. BTW, I think that the Heroic Epic, Fireworks etc. will also yield less points in the final score than a 'major wonder'.

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
          I am quite keen on cutting down on the number of major wonders. For example ones such as the Manhattan Project, Cure for Cancer, Universal Suffrage, Newton's College, etc., should all be minor wonders that everybody can build.
          I agree. It was never clear to me why I couldn´t build my 'Hoover Dam' just because a similar dam had been finished on another continent.
          "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

Originally posted by Rhysie
            The 'Seven Wonders of the World' is the whole point between the wonder system in the civ games... I agree with DarkCloud, it would be silly to have any number other than 7 per age - At the very least there should be a multiple of 7 wonders, even if they can't manage 7 in each age
            On a historic point of view, seven win hands down.
            OTOH, we know that seven is only a "magic" number, it's not a real limit: we often chose ten - like in Top Ten lists - because our math is ten based - ten fingers and everything else

Now, if for some balancing game reason 12 main + 24 small work well I can live with it: we know there are hundred of relevant achievement in history that can be stretched to fit the "wonder" definition, but that's not the point.

Giving each a useful, and easy to reckon, game role is another bunch of problem. That's an area where it seems to me Firaxis is learning (from CTP feat of wonder, too) some good lesson, adding multiple Civ advantages (small wonder), and probably effects more tightened to the game (e.g. proper Great Wall drawn to the map, with a tangible effect on enemy movement).

This is a point I'm quite confident Firaxis will do a good job (but a demo to double check that would be better ), so I'm only reconsidering the List of Wonders and their effects for some Scenario I was thinking in these days...
            "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
            - Admiral Naismith

Comment

I don't see why there's a need for 7 wonders per epoch. Hanging Gardens? Oracle? Lighthouse? Bah! The Pyramids and the Great Wall, yes. The rest are pushing it.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Well, it's not Firaxis pushing it. Other than the Oracle, all those things really were called the Wonders of the Ancient World.

Comment

Here's the traditional list of the Seven Wonders of the World. This was put together by the Greeks, so they're all places that they have first-hand knowedge of (i.e. no Great Wall.)

The Pyramids of Egypt
                  The Hanging Gardens of Babylon
                  The Lighthouse of Alexandria
                  The Colussus of Rhodes

The Mausoleum of Halicarnassus
                  The Temple of Artemis at Ephesus
                  The Statue of Zeus at Olympus

Comment

Working...
                  X