Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A complementary peaceful trigger for "Golden age" is needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A complementary peaceful trigger for "Golden age" is needed.

The way I heard it, golden ages will be triggered by a civ-specific unit winning a battle. Thats OK, but I want an complementary peaceful trigger as well. If I am at peace with everyone, minding my own business, I dont want to be forced to pick an unprovoked fight (war without casus belli = less civ-points in Hall of fame, and less chance of achieving diplomatic victory), just to trigger that damn golden age. Any info, comments - any suggestions?

Also, in the Player Setup screen you have the option "Allow civ-specific abilities". Choosing "No" to this means no Civ-specific abilities table (obviously), but does it mean the exclusion of civ-specific units and golden age also?

Personally, I would like to keep the specific units and golden age, and only be given the choise of excluding the civ-specific abilities-table.
    Last edited by Ralf; August 25, 2001, 05:03.

Well I reckon most sensible people would probably just go out of their way to kill a barbarian. When they see them approaching or landing, I can just see human players with hordes of special units dashing down to kill them. This is going to be a pain for the Americans, who will get the special unit very late which will make it difficult for them to find such barbarians to kill. Yeah, some special event should trigger it, perhaps acquiring a certain number of mini wonders or something in particular for that civ...
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Perhaps something dependent on the number of luxuries/resources that you have access to. Perhaps if you have access to 6 or more luxuries, for example (an amount that would require significant expansion, trade/diplomacy or conquest), then that should trigger a golden age!
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Don´t know if that has been mentioned before, but can´t you simply attack the Barbs if you are in peace with the other civs?
        Blah

Comment

Like they said, there are always barbarians. But maybe a diplomatic or economic method might be nice too, like having peace with every nation in the world, or having trade routes stretch across the globe, that sort of thing. Of course, if you where to use one of these methods before you get your special unit, you won't be able to get another golden age.
          Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

And that's why I set barbarians nice and high. "Villages only?" Bleh. That's for WIMPS. "Raging Hordes" all the way for me. Is that another Barbarian ship ready to do battle? Goody, goody, time to send over the special units....
            None, Sedentary, Roving, Restless, Raging ... damn, is that all? Where's the "massive waves of barbarians that can wipe out your civilisation" setting?

Comment

Wouldn't it have more sense to have the golden age trigger once you have built x number of special units.

The Nuclear Age would still be ushered in even if Fat Man and Litle Boy weren't used against Japan.
              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Defeating a barbarian with a special unit does not trigger a golden age. You must defeat another civ.

Comment

Originally posted by Pembleton
                  Defeating a barbarian with a special unit does not trigger a golden age. You must defeat another civ.
                  How do you know that. All firaxis said is that a golden age is triggered when you first win a battle with a special unit. No mention of who against at all...
                  Speaking of Erith:

Comment

a firaxis member said that somewhere before Provost, I was disappointed too. I mean, is this Civ 3 or Barbarism 3?
                    http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

This is not Civ 3 OR Barbarism 3. It's
                      Build-a-Nuke-For-Every-City-You-Do-Not-Control-and-Nuke-Them-All-In-One-Turn 3!

Comment

Originally posted by Pembleton
                        A small correction: It was pointed out elsewhere that it's defeating an enemy with an elite unit -- not a civ-specific unit -- that triggers a golden age. So it can be any unit that's achieved elite status (i.e., more than veteran).

I don't know the answer on the barbarian / other-civ issue...
                        Ilkuul

Every time you win, remember: "The first shall be last".
                        Every time you lose, remember: "The last shall be first".

Comment

"This is not Civ 3 OR Barbarism 3. It's
                          Build-a-Nuke-For-Every-City-You-Do-Not-Control-and-Nuke-Them-All-In-One-Turn 3"
                          LOL

I wish someone could back me up on the barbarian/other civ issue, I seem to recall some firaxis member talking about it in an interview of some sort.
                          http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

It was pointed out elsewhere that it's defeating an enemy with an elite unit -- not a civ-specific unit -- that triggers a golden age.
                            Taken from the Civ 3 website developer update:
                            Golden ages only occur once, last twenty game turns, and are triggered when any one of your civ-specific units wins its first combat against another civ.

It says a win against another civ... I don't think barbarians are considered a civ... but I could be wrong.

Comment

I am a bit behind the times, what specifically does the golden age give. I presume its increased culture/economy/military/science or something?
                              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X