Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What will your strategy be in your first Civ3 game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What will your strategy be in your first Civ3 game?

(Assuming you only know what you know now!)

Will you choose a militaristic civ and try to conquer the world? This will be a lot more difficult in Civ3, from all we've heard! You may suffer trade embargoes, not have the raw materials to produce your units, fall hopelessly behind in culture and be unable to hold onto conquered cities...

Will you go for a tech win (first to AC, if that's still in the game)? Risky, as you'll still be relatively unfamiliar with the new tech tree - and you could easily fall prey to militaristic neighbours in the early game, or have all the other civs gang up on you and slap on a trade embargo...

Will you try for one of the new routes to victory - diplomacy or trade? Again, perhaps the same sort of risks as for a tech win.

Let's compare our ideas and approaches for that crucial first-ever game of Civ3!

For myself, I know I won't go for a military victory first time round. I'll maybe try for a tech win, to familiarise myself with the tech tree, while at the same time exploring the trade and diplomacy possibilities. I probably won't win first time! But it'll be great fun. Can hardly wait...
    Ilkuul

Every time you win, remember: "The first shall be last".
    Every time you lose, remember: "The last shall be first".

Well, I have no idea, since i have never played it.

what i will do, is the first time I stick in that wonderfull CD, I will probably just get familiar with the game. maybe try a couple different civs or whatever. then, after I THINK I know what I am doing, I will go after a specific victory.

but if I was forced to choose now, I would probably choose conquest (I admit, I am a war freek ). or I think the trade and diplomatic victory sounded interesting. I never really did get all caught up in the space race thing in civ2, and I probably won't in civ3.

so I guess my answer is militaristic. though diplomacy is close behind.

p.s. maybe you should list at least a small idea of what the diplomacy and trade victories should be. I know myself that the diplomacy will have to do with you making yourself popular enough to win the head seat of the UN, and getting the rest of the civs to join it.
    I don't really know anything about the trade victory yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Diablo, Bro. of Mephisto
      p.s. maybe you should list at least a small idea of what the diplomacy and trade victories should be. I know myself that the diplomacy will have to do with you making yourself popular enough to win the head seat of the UN, and getting the rest of the civs to join it.
      I don't really know anything about the trade victory yet.
      Neither do I, which is why I would go first for something I do understand -- which would be a tech win, while at the same time just getting a general idea of what trade and diplomacy involve; and if I find it easier to switch to one of those routes to victory, then I would do so.

I know it's rather unrealistic to talk about deciding strategies now before we've seen the game and the manual -- but I thought it would be interesting to see, on the basis of what we do already know, how many people would go for war and how many for peaceful means of winning.

So far we have one warmonger and one 'peacemonger'! Maybe others have picked up a few more hints about the diplomacy and trade routes to victory, and can enlighten us...?
      Ilkuul

Every time you win, remember: "The first shall be last".
      Every time you lose, remember: "The last shall be first".

Comment

Attack 'em all.
        Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
        "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

being a war monger, as i have obviously proven over the course of my stay here at apolyton, this may sound odd.

i actually will try to see how smart the AI is my first game, by trading resources with as many as possible, and seeing how complex the trades can get.

i would like to learn the infastructure / resources part of the game before i go out and destroy them all.

in SMAC, i never leared the infastructure stuff, i just put my formers on auto and my cities on govenor until i got planet busters.

then i just got the whole world to declare war on me and nerve staple them all.
          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
          - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

CULTURE!!!

I shall be the mighty Babylonian culture! the pinacle of civilization! A mighty utopia of enlightened citizens!!!

"mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
            Drake Tungsten
            "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
            Albert Speer

Comment

Kill Kill them all
              Then maybe alittle trip through .gif lane with a shortcut off .txt avn.
              Destruction is a lot easier than construction. The guy who operates a wrecking ball has a easier time than the architect who has to rebuild the house from the pieces.--- Immortal Wombat.

Comment

Seeing as how I seem to be better in all civ games at building up my civ as opposed to war, I'll build up my culture and see which peaceful victory would be the easiest to achieve.

Comment

I will die a lot figuring the game out. Im not one to read manuals (other than cassually in 'private' moments)

(btw Kyller, very cool avatar)
                  "What can you say about a society that says that God is dead and Elvis is alive?" Irv Kupcinet

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown

Comment

I will attempt a 'peaceful' conquering of my enemies through superior culture!!

Muwahahaha
                    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Military Conquest as Mongols... Scratch that... Spanish... D***!... Vikings... S!(!

no fun

I suppose I'll conquer the world as the Chinese or Germans then
                      -->Visit CGN!
                      -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud
                        Military Conquest as Mongols... Scratch that... Spanish... D***!... Vikings... S!(!

no fun

I suppose I'll conquer the world as the Chinese or Germans then
                        well put....especially as a fellow warmonger and MONGOL player.. iwill attemp military victory the usual way..... attempt to land all resources and then

MAUL
                        Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

i think i will check out the culture feature, it seems usefull since i am a pansie when it comes to war. i prefer to build things up and i hope culture will let me take over my enemies without fighting them.
                          "The Bible is the greatest sales pitch in history" -Me

"I regret nothing and apologize for less." -My motto

Comment

Culture, that's in my first game, just to see how it works, and explore the tech tree and units a bit. I also want to try the new diplomatic model and the AI off course, but i will definitely try a peacefull approach first.
                            <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
                            Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

I'll pick the Babylonians with their Religious and Scientific abilities, and go for a culture victory with good science. The science is to get new culture buildings faster and so the enemies don't gain a military advantage.
                              None, Sedentary, Roving, Restless, Raging ... damn, is that all? Where's the "massive waves of barbarians that can wipe out your civilisation" setting?

Comment

Working...
                              X