What do we know about art?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
    From what I spotted from the screenshots, I think I know what arts are. In civ2 you could divide up your income between science, luxuries and taxes. You do the same in civ3 of course. But of course luxuries are something totally different; traded commodities that offset unhappiness. I think the civ3 name for the earlier civ concept of 'luxuries' is now 'art' Makes sense, doesn't it?
    Yes, it makes sense, but I'm afraid it doesn't fit with info from screenshots: Civ 3 official screenshot, page 2, the highest/rightest screen is from Babylon.

You can see that Commerce indicator divide the entry to Treasure (40%) and Research (60%). No art in view, I'm sorry

I remember an old screen mentioning Art in a vertical column of a table, but ...

I'm still wondering about the effect of Great People that aren't Great General: may be they add Art point to the Culture grand total.
    "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
    - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Maybe "Arts" is a name for thing like "Capitalization" in Civ2 or "Housing" in some games, only that it generates culture instead of money or population, respectively, by converting the production shields.

On the other hand, if it was only something like this, they would not make such a fuss about it being a "brand new feature".
      The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God?
      - Frank Herbert

Comment

Yeah, Great People that aren't Great General: great scientists, great artists, great bussinesmen, etc. I wonder if such people will really exist in Civ3. If I remember correctly, this is not confirmed yet. They will probably say that "we tested this feature and found it too unbalancing, blah-blah..." and won't include it after all.
        "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
        --George Bernard Shaw
        A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
        --Woody Allen

Comment

I think I understand it. From what I've read, the arts are technologies that aren't necessary to, say, advance through the ages, but that increase your culture dramatically.

So, even though you can keep moving on to the industrial age without, for instance "rhythmic lap dancing", you won't be taking in nearly as many points.
          Retired, and it feels so good!

Comment

Originally posted by isaac brock
            From what I've read, the arts are technologies that aren't necessary to, say, advance through the ages, but that increase your culture dramatically.

So, even though you can keep moving on to the industrial age without, for instance "rhythmic lap dancing", you won't be taking in nearly as many points.
            Yes, IMO we should barely be considered an Advanced Tribe without "lap dancing" knowledge and wide use of it

Seriusly, you can be right about arts as "useful but unnecessay tech". Still IMHO it doesn't fit with the general game background as it has been showed until now...

Still waiting for an official (Dan Mahaga?) reply.
            "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
            - Admiral Naismith

Comment

La la
              Cheese eating surrender monkees - Chris 62

BlackStone supporting our troops

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStone
                La la
                What's with you and your "La la" answers!!

Seriously though, I agree that the ARTS are usefull techs you don't need to advance to the next age. FIRAXIS mentioned this once. I would be techs like. Horseback Riding, Literature, Philosophy. I don't remember where I saw it though.
                My Website: www.geocities.com/civcivciv2002/index.html
                My Forums: http://pub92.ezboard.com/bacivcommunity

Comment

Horseback Riding an art? I doubt it somehow...

Well I thought I had seen art shown with science output and other related stuff on another screenshot. I presumed it would just be allocated, but who knows what it is...
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

The tech tree is split into four sections: Ancient Times, Renaissance, Industrial and Modern. The new rules are that, in order to advance to the next section of the tech tree, you pretty much have to complete everything in the section before it, except those arts or the intellectual pursuits. For example, you don't have to develop horseback riding in order to advance to the next era, nor anarchy , republic or literature. But literature gives you the Great Library, so they're useful to have. The whole new concept with the arts is that they're things you don't need to progress, but if you have them your civilization is much stronger, and more developed.
                    -- From the Civfanatics Civ3 Infocenter.

BTW, we haven't seen anarchy on the techtree have we?
                    My Website: www.geocities.com/civcivciv2002/index.html
                    My Forums: http://pub92.ezboard.com/bacivcommunity

Comment

Working...
                    X