Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earth Maps Included?

Everyone:

What's the word on Civ III in regards to maps of Earth? Will the game have them, just as Civ II came with such maps?

CYBERAmazon
    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

IIRC, there will be at least one Earth map.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I wonder if they're going to make a map where the continents are in proper proportion or are they just going to just follow the old-school maps like they did in Civ2?
      And also are the north and south edges of the map going to be connected like the doughnut-world of CTP? It was dumb that you can't sail north to reach the southern hemisphere and vice-versa.
      Learn the mistakes of yesterday to prevent the ones of tomorrow...

Comment

I think that CTP 2 Earth map was a horible one.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Magnus
          It was dumb that you can't sail north to reach the southern hemisphere and vice-versa.
          but you can't sail north and reach the southern hemisphere, well at least not the way it was done in CtP.
          it would be cool that you could go to the other side of the world by crossing the northpole, maybe there could some special tech which would allow you to do this.
          <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
          Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

My guess is that they'll have 2-3 of them in different sizes.
            It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

Earth map

I certainly hope so - the Earth maps in recent games have been poor.

Surely the Earth map is what gives the game proper life - you always know where you are and what you're doing. These style games are about re-writing history, and you can't do that without an accurate and realistic Earth map.
              Tod.MB

Comment

Re: Earth map

Originally posted by ToD.MB
                I certainly hope so - the Earth maps in recent games have been poor.

Surely the Earth map is what gives the game proper life - you always know where you are and what you're doing. These style games are about re-writing history, and you can't do that without an accurate and realistic Earth map.
                I think I even saw a mention of a bigger and better Earthmap somewhere...but anyway I have no doubt it will be included -it has been since Civ1!

Also, the quality of some user-made Civ2 earth maps was outstanding. Or maps of certain continents...I've enjoyed making scenarios on a few of them.

Comment

it would be cool that you could go to the other side of the world by crossing the northpole, maybe there could some special tech which would allow you to do this

Really you should be able to going anywhere along the top the map not just the opposite side. Because the north pole is a point you are at all longitudes at one.

Even if the maps included aren't that good I am sure that Apolyton will be acquiring some good maps from the cartographers amongst us.
                  One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I agree with Big Crunch. Of course, naval movements probably wouldn't use the poles too much since they're ice locked, but I know for sure that during the height of US/USSR tension, the north pole was the thoroughfare for all projected nuclear attack. The US and USSR are actually very much closer over the north pole than any mercator projection would imply, and in all the Cold War global scenarios you end up having to reinforce nukes much closer to enemy territories than in reality.

I hope that air units and ground units will be able to go from any single square on the top and bottom lines to any other given square on the top and bottom lines in one single movement unit.
                    "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Magnus
                      I wonder if they're going to make a map where the continents are in proper proportion or are they just going to just follow the old-school maps like they did in Civ2?
                      And also are the north and south edges of the map going to be connected like the doughnut-world of CTP? It was dumb that you can't sail north to reach the southern hemisphere and vice-versa.

Oh no. I hated CTP's doughnut-shaped map. It's so idiotic. Imagine a planet with an enormous hole in the middle.
                      CSPA

Comment

I hope if they do make an Earth map, that the resources are all in the right places. There should be alot of oil in the Middle East, gold in northern california, etc...
                        Truth, Justice, and the American Way!

Comment

Sibir *drool* and NOT TO SELL ALASKA EITHER !
                          BTW they better not put a singe horse in America

Comment

Everyone:

Thanks for the insightful commentary — I am quite sure Civ III will have a nice Earth map or two (or three). Right now I play some of my Civ II games on the "Northern Hemisphere" map I DL'd from Apolyton. That's a good map, IMHO, right up there with the "Large Earth" map that comes with Civ II.

CYBERAmazon

(P.S. I also customize my Earth maps to a degree.)
                            "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

re: Lemmy
                              When I said "It was dumb that you can't sail north to reach the southern hemisphere and vice-versa." I was refering to Civ2 and not CTP. But in CTP you can choose a map where the north and south edges weren't connected. And why would a civ need a special tech to travel from the north to south edge of the world? Just take a ship and sail full speed ahead, that's how they do it in real life.

re: Gangerolf
                              You joker, I think CTP called the connected map a "doughnut-world" not because it had a hole in the middle but because it was uniform like a doughnut and not broken at the north and south edges of the map.

Anyways instead of having a flat map just have a sphereical earth but since you can only view a small section of it at one given time it'll look flat. But as you zoom out you can see a round earth.
                              Learn the mistakes of yesterday to prevent the ones of tomorrow...

Comment

Working...
                              X