Armies of Settlers / Workers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armies of Settlers / Workers?

could you make an army (stack) of workers and have them always travel around together, maybe with a legion in there for defence?

could you but 5 settlers in a stack with 3 phalanxes and make a size 5 city with full defence in one turn?
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

That would be cool to have "guard/protect" command.
    "What can you say about a society that says that God is dead and Elvis is alive?" Irv Kupcinet

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown

Comment

I don't think you'll be able to found cities bigger than size 1, although you could in Ctp2 with the modern settler or whatever it was.

I think if you had 5 settlers in a stack, and wanted them all to settle the same city - it'd kinda be like an instant city without any hard work - I can't see Firaxis letting that be in the game.

I do think, however, that stacks of workers should be able to build tile improvements more quickly - that makes sense, doesn't it?
      If the voices in my head paid rent, I'd be a very rich man

Comment

It's worked in the past so I don't see why they would change it. Every settler converts 2 pop to 1 pop so it is hardly cost efficient even ignoring the increasing food cost of growing larger populations.

A grouping method (other than armies) would be useful for moving stacks around in one go if you did like the worker/worker/guard concept. I'd be even happier if the auto-worker did sensible things to improve a city and auto-patrol guards would understand how to guard them effectively. That is the sort of micromanagement I don't like to handle when I'm up to 30+ cities
        To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
        H.Poincaré

Comment

I don't see why you shouldn't be able to found a city more than size 1. In Civ2, if you had enough settlers/engineers, one could found a city and the rest could join it to increase size up to size 8.
          "Proletarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch!" -- Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels
          "If you expect a kick in the balls and get a slap in the face, that's a victory." -- Irish proverb

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!

Comment

Originally posted by Zanzin
            I don't think you'll be able to found cities bigger than size 1, although you could in Ctp2 with the modern settler or whatever it was.
            Well, a settler costs 2 pop-points so a starting-size of 2 pops seems reasonable - but maybe cities in Civ-3 starts with only 1 pop, I dont know.

Originally posted by Jelly Donut
            I don't see why you shouldn't be able to found a city more than size 1. In Civ2, if you had enough settlers/engineers, one could found a city and the rest could join it to increase size up to size 8.
            I hope they put a more restrictive top-limit on how many settlers/workers can merge a newly founded city without that city having enough infrastructure/ city-improvements. 8 pops seems too much.

Comment

actually i think the 2 pop to form 1 pop to start a city is what they're going to do. in the resource tutorial, Rome is a 1 at the beginning.

although thats odd for your population number on the side (10,000 people dying off), i guess it would prevent sleeze a bit more, having to wait for the city to grow twice before you could pump out a settler. makes you want to build a temple or something
              "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
              - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Working...
              X