Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So whats the deal gonna be with barbarians?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So whats the deal gonna be with barbarians?

Anyone know how its gonna work? Same? Any diplomacy w/ barbarian? Barbarian leaders? Barbarians take over city = new civ? Anyone?
    "What can you say about a society that says that God is dead and Elvis is alive?" Irv Kupcinet

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown

Nothing is known for certain.
    It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

I think it has been said that Barbarians will have cities formed outside your boarders, and if a city is destroyed they will form a new one. They also seam to have replaced the goodie huts, as you get stuff from destroying them.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
      Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Gramphos you are primarily correct but you do have a few small errors. Barbarians will have encampments (1 pop size city) that will lay outside your borders. When your borders expand onto the encampment or near the encampment the encampment will then be pushed out further away from your borders. Eventually with a major spread of culture you could push out barbarians out of your surrounding area completely. I have no recollection of hearing that goodie huts will not be included. Here is a quote out of the civ abilities chart, "Better stuff from barbarian villages". This could either mean the goodie huts or the encampments.
        However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

Tech: they form out of your view (fog of war), which was meant to make you constantly explore the barren terrain you didnt bother colonizing.
          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
          - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

oh, and in the civ3 trailer / teaser from E3, a warrior walks onto what looks to be a hut, and a barbarian warrior comes out.
            "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."

Comment

Tech: they form out of your view (fog of war),
              Yes that is true but they still don't form in your borders regardless of whether or not your borders are in your view.
              However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

i thought your borders would always be in your view

Comment

I don't think so...

Ever see the resource slideshow? Well I think it showed that a city has its normal line of sight and borders don't effect it. I'm not sure, but I think it did.

Comment

argh. patrolling my own borders.

Comment

Hopefully there will be some form of terrain advancement that simulates the sensors in SMAC. I don't want to be stuck moving unit around all the time just to keep the Fog of War off spawning sites.

Here's a bonus though, particularly for expansionistic civs. If you have empty space that you can't build cities into or just don't want to be bothered with, just keep moving a unit back and forth in and out of a barbarian encampment Fog of War range to respawn goodie huts. Sort of like worm farming in SMAC where you have units purposely running through fungus to provoke the natives and earn extra case.

Suddenly Greenland becomes valuable for barbarian hunting

Comment

lol Comrade KruX of the Roman Polythesist Barbarian Hunters.

don't understand the polythiest part??? check my threads for that religion post.

Comment

TechWins, you say that barbarians will be "pushed out" does that mean that your vision will expand as your culture does? Ie people are coming in from all over the countryside.... you here rumors, maybe your city radius could expand/contract with culture... just some thoughts
                          "What can you say about a society that says that God is dead and Elvis is alive?" Irv Kupcinet

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown

Comment

No, don't think so. You can always build more cities to expand your vision, though. I also don't think there will be a sensor sort of terrain improvement, so now there's a real use for the 'p' command
                            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Why can't fortresses have a 1 square site radius, even when not occupied by troops? In Hadrian's wall, the romans had mini-fortresses spread out along the entire length with a few troops, mainly there as runners to the main forts behind the walls if barbarians approached. I'm not looking for the SMAC 2square radius, but 1 square even when unoccupied seems very reaosnable to me.

Side question, has any of the screenshots shown a fortress yet? I haven't seen any, but was wondering if I missed something.

Comment

Working...
                              X