Will the AI be able to grovel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will the AI be able to grovel?

I'm one of those people who always opt for the military victory, simply because its so much FUN. Amassing armies, crushing fledgling nations under the heel of my boot---what more could an aspiring despot ask for?

Well, an AI with at least some sense of preservation would be a good start. In my experience with Civ2 I found the AIs to be extremely haughtly, even though I'm far ahead in the tech curve and have an unrivaled amount of firepower. Without fail, one of these surly computers would foolishly attempt to steal technology or attack my cities, or declare war for stupid reasons, and in return I'd send my armies to obliterate them from the map.

There have been games where I've isolated the last vestige of the remaining AI to one lone decimated city, dangerously encircled by my forces. I'd generously off them a peace treaty one round--and on their very next, they'd try attacking my forces with their last rifleman. Or refuse to give tribute, though I could just send my tank in and take what's left of their treasury by force.

So, I want to know: if you're the unrivaled ruler of the map in Civ3, can you use the threat of force to subvert civilizations to your will? Or will they act like jerks to the very end?

d
    "Oderint dum probent"

Comment

I hope the AI is alot more savvy this go around, the AI in CIV II was just plain stupid.
      "Oderint dum probent"

Comment

Anyone else have an opinion?

Comment

If im gonna shell out my money I want groveling!
          It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

Hopefully, with the new and improved diplomacy interface, the AI's will be more realistic in their dealings with human players. But you are right, the over-all diplomatic attitude of the AI in CIV2 left a lot to be desired!

Comment

I was playing a scenario in Civ2 in which I was the weakest civ. I talked to the strongest civ, who offered me all their gold (around 20,000) to make peace with them!

I do hope the AI isn't as stupid in Civ3.

Comment

Jon, what level were you playing?
                DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

The "grovel" feature was quite well implemented in SMAC. When you were clearly dominant in some conflict and the faction you were after was very weak, you could offer them giving you all their techs, gold and signing a permanent alliance.

After that they always voted for you in the council (even for your ultimate victory) and agreed to all your (reasonable) demands. Unless you were really abusing them by demanding free cities and such, you could have your personal toady for the rest of the game
                  The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God?
                  - Frank Herbert

Comment

If there is imminent defeat looming for an AI civ and he is out of options, chances are (s)he will surrender and go down and kiss your arse for leniency. In SMAC, when this occurs, they are counted as having surrendered, and they are obliged to form a pact with you and be at your side, your little b*tch if you will

It was well done in SMAC and I hope it is carried over to Civ3...
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

oh yes. im sure the ai will grovel.

my only fear is that when 6 of them are grovelling to me they will band together.
                      "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                      - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

my only fear is that when 6 of them are grovelling to me they will band together.
                        What's wrong with that? It would be great if the AI would do stuff like that. If you're at your peak of your empire and everybody else is suffering from that in more ways than one then they should team together to stop you. Just as you should be able to team with other AI civs against another AI civ if it were the same situation.

One thing I would like to see from the AI is well planned attacks. Such things as them trying to bombard city walls first then attacking the city. Having defence units to come in and protect the captured city immediately.

IMO the SMAC AI was good and Firaxis will only go up from there which leads to the Civ3 AI being very good (this is for AI standards not human desired AI).
                        However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

What's wrong with that? It would be great if the AI would do stuff like that. If you're at your peak of your empire and everybody else is suffering from that in more ways than one then they should team together to stop you. Just as you should be able to team with other AI civs against another AI civ if it were the same situation.

One thing I would like to see from the AI is well planned attacks. Such things as them trying to bombard city walls first then attacking the city. Having defence units to come in and protect the captured city immediately. Etc...

IMO the SMAC AI was good and Firaxis will only go up from there which leads to the Civ3 AI being very good (this is for AI standards not human desired AI).
                          However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

You can say that again
                            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I also found the various ai's suicidal diplomatic strategies annoying. most especially i disliked how your most beloved allies would turn on you for no reason towards the end of the game.
                              Their fool hardy attacks against me could be likened to Canada attempting to invade the US.
                              By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may get to be a boss and work twelve hours a day.

Comment

Working...
                              X