Provinces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Provinces

Just something I was thinking of the other day.

It'd be interesting to be able to divide your empire into provinces (or states, or whatever else you want to call them)which would (aside from just being a neat feature) allow you to more easily assign different kinds of automations for the cities within different regions of your empire. or perhaps even add a whole new aspect to the game, like being able to pool resources between the cities of the province and whatnot.... though, there would obviously need to be limitations and maybe a downside on this feature. (I can just imagine people combining all of their cities to build a wonder in 1 turn then make them all seperate againthe next)
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Oh, incase I didn't make it clear... the thing about pooling resources and stuff was just an after thought, the main thing I want is just to be able to divide your country up for the novelty of it, and to be able to more easily automate different regions for different tasks.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

cool idea

I've also given some thought to this. I think it could be done very poorly, but if implimented well, it could be cool for scenario's, as nearly every large country is divided up into parts, and it's been that way forever. Just imagine a ww2 scenario - "The Japanese have troops moving into the Kwantung Province, our city of Shanghai may be put in jeopardy!" Or for the lovers of the European front, "The Allied forces have landed in Normandy, we must send our panzers to push them back onto the beaches!"

Maybe it could just be with certain landmarks or something, like in SMAC.

Comment

I'm sorry, Osweld. But this sounds too similar to EU.

Comment

How is this anything at all like EU? All I am suggesting is internal borders, merely a dotted line along the map, and not even something that you'd need to use, or see.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I have to agree with what's been said about it. What would be the purpose of it. You need a purpose to justify the added complexity of it.

Comment

Re: Provinces

Originally posted by Osweld
                  Just something I was thinking of the other day.

It'd be interesting to be able to divide your empire into provinces (or states, or whatever else you want to call them)which would (aside from just being a neat feature) allow you to more easily assign different kinds of automations for the cities within different regions of your empire. or perhaps even add a whole new aspect to the game, like being able to pool resources between the cities of the province and whatnot.... though, there would obviously need to be limitations and maybe a downside on this feature. (I can just imagine people combining all of their cities to build a wonder in 1 turn then make them all seperate againthe next)
                  That would be kinda cool, but your gonna have to wait until CIV 4.
                  "Oderint dum probent"

Comment

Was discussed to death a long time ago.

I for one am in favor of it. I think states or provinces would be something that should have been included in Civ III and look forward to a TBS game to take advantage of it in the future.

You might wonder what the advantage of provinces would be. Well it is easy - less micromanagement.

A province or state would poll resources, food, and production together and then divide it up among the cities in the province. You would be able to one screen control what as many as 10 to 20 ciities are working on. You could have the province build a granary overnight in one city and meanwhile have it grow your army.

It would also allow cities to have some individuality to them. Cities that produce extra food could stay small and feed the larger cities in the provinces without much trouble. Larger cities in turn would help smaller cities construct things faster. And it would all be done without very much micromanagement at all.

I have always stated my support of provinces and states and the more I think about the idea - the more I like it.
                    About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

I for one am in favor of it. I think states or provinces would be something that should have been included in Civ III and look forward to a TBS game to take advantage of it in the future.
                      I am told that Master of Orion 3 will be doing something similiar, though it would be much much more useful in that game since you have many different leaders and politicians and your empire is always running with some level of automation.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by tniem I for one am in favor of it. I think states or provinces would be something that should have been included in Civ III and look forward to a TBS game to take advantage of it in the future.
                        Imperialism I and II both use Provinces, in those games cities are just centers of production inside Provinces which may or may not be taken advantage of...
                        No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

scale makes for provinces not citys

i always paly my civ 2 games as if each city is aprovince not a city. the scale of the map usually means this is more realsitic, if you play european map , you cnat fit all the real citys found in europe on map. in fact you probably would olny have room for each nation such as one city for germany one city for france etc...

Makes no diff to game but just makes it seem more real to me....
                          GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Re: scale makes for provinces not citys

Originally posted by Rasputin
                            i always paly my civ 2 games as if each city is aprovince not a city. the scale of the map usually means this is more realsitic, if you play european map , you cnat fit all the real citys found in europe on map. in fact you probably would olny have room for each nation such as one city for germany one city for france etc...

Makes no diff to game but just makes it seem more real to me....
                            I did that to, I just would name my city after states.
                            "Oderint dum probent"

Comment

i was in favor of a similar system, not bent on geography as much as "class".

in my idea you could give each city a class, invisible to enemies.

so when u found a city, or anythime after that, you can make a class name for it, like "Sci City". and then in a special window you could order / queue up buildings in all the "Sci Cities" you made

would be great if u just go univestity and had 50 cities to click through.

i suppose you could make provinces in the same way... no visible borders, but you could make a "class" named "Eastern US" or something.

could be cool for scenarios
                              "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                              - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Working...
                              X