Happiness Affecting Production?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happiness Affecting Production?

I always thought that it was odd thathaving happy citizens brought little returns, unless you pumped your economy for WLTxD. Maybe a simple system could be made where:

% of happy citizens - % of unhappy citizens = % of production bonus

To make this fair, this would only apply to cities of size 5 or up. Now this would create a true incentive for players to boost happiness. In addition to this, keep the WLTxD effects, but at least give the players some reason to create happy peope other then keeping cities out of civil disorder. And give civil disorder dire consequences, not the mear ones found in other Civ games.
    *grumbles about work*

Does happines bring productivity in real life, I dont think people produce more if they are happy, more likely they produce less. When you are poor you work even harder for what you get and
    well being has never been a great motivation for hard work unless you are doing something you really enjoy. What I could imagine is a science bonus based on happines.
    It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

Originally posted by Wille
      Does happines bring productivity in real life, I dont think people produce more if they are happy, more likely they produce less. When you are poor you work even harder for what you get and
      well being has never been a great motivation for hard work unless you are doing something you really enjoy. What I could imagine is a science bonus based on happines.
      But Civ is an abstract game and happiness has to be rewarded some how...

I fail to see how a science bonus is better than a productivity bonus? Could you please explain further?
      -->Visit CGN!
      -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud

I fail to see how a science bonus is better than a productivity bonus? Could you please explain further?
        Happines increases the free thinking and creativity of the people.
        And of course there are a thousand flaws to this and any other solution to rewarding happiness but for me this is a more plausible way of rewarding happiness than raising productivity.
        It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

Re: Happiness Affecting Production?

Originally posted by Shadowstrike
          And give civil disorder dire consequences, not the mear ones found in other Civ games.
          Yah!! I agree. I never worried about civil disorder in Civ2 you just clicked workers to make an entertainer and that was it. It would be nice if you let your population get more unhappy there would be greater risks (ie greater chance of Civil war).
          It was always neat in Civ2 when the computers nation would sometimes break out in civil war if you took over their capitol (not so neat if it happened to you).
          "To live again, to be.........again" Captain Kirk in some Star Trek Episode. (The one with the bad guy named Henok)
          "One day you may have to think for yourself and heaven help us all when that time comes" Some condescending jerk.

Comment

MOO had a system where happiness led to production. However, it also did not have a system where an unhappy colony would go into civil unrest, nor did it have "We Love [insert title here]" days. Happiness should have a positive effect on an empire, but I don't think that it should have both effects (production as well as civil unrest/"we love" days).
            <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

I also think that if your people are happy, you should be rewarded somehow. Otherwise, the only deal about happiness is when they're rioting, or not rioting. It doesn't matter whether they're close to rioting, or all very happy. I think that high happiness should help your culture - people who are generally happy attend museums, listen to operas, perhaps write something, thus increasing the culture.
              Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
              I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

This would of course fit with my Revolutions idea, though it may be a bit late to implement it.
                *grumbles about work*

Comment

I agree that production should be directly linked to happiness.
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                  X