Dvd, #cd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dvd, #cd?

I just woundered on how many CDs Civ III would be? Will it be on DVD too? I searched on Firaxis' site but didn't found.

Thanks.
    Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

1 CD. Nice and compact.
    Alex

Comment

My guess it will take only one CD. The game will just have the same units and videos played over and over and so you do not need to repeat yourself over and over again.

Of course if you buy the Limited Edition it will be two CDs as they have promised to include some things that would take a second cd.
      About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

I vote 1 cd. Mainly because since Firaxis is keeping the system requirements as low as they are (PII 300 I think) they'd probably not expect many people to have a DVD player on their system. I don't have one. But I'd get one to play Civ3.
        Jeepers where are my priorities....?????
        "To live again, to be.........again" Captain Kirk in some Star Trek Episode. (The one with the bad guy named Henok)
        "One day you may have to think for yourself and heaven help us all when that time comes" Some condescending jerk.

Comment

2 Cd's for the limited edition? Isn't it the strategy guide?
          Alex

Comment

Originally posted by Simpleton
            I vote 1 cd. Mainly because since Firaxis is keeping the system requirements as low as they are (PII 300 I think) they'd probably not expect many people to have a DVD player on their system.
            I still have a P233MHz with 64 Mb so I will be acquiring a whole new system a month or so before Civ3 comes out. A system close to 2Ghz and 256MB should allow for smooth running of the game, with or without DVD.

If a game is on a single DVD would it cost any more than an identical 2 CD game? (Due to production costs, DVD technology royalties etc...)
            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I think it's just a little bit more expensive to make a DVD than 2 CD's.

Surely Civ 3 will come in on one CD. I cannot think of anything they can possibly do to take up more than 650MB of data.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Alex 14
                2 Cd's for the limited edition? Isn't it the strategy guide?
                We're still working out the final details, but it'll come in a very nice tin with the game, manual, a "Making of Civ III" CD and some other cool stuff

Comment

i can assure you that the normal civ3 disk won't be on DVD...i might be wrong but i don't think so

civ3 requirements (which won't be out till october at earliest)

P2 300 mhz
                  32 mb ram
                  100 megs of hard drive space (+50 for swapfile)
                  4X CD-Rom

emperor: battle for dune's requirements (which came out in june)

single player

P2 400
                  64 mb ram
                  16mb video ram
                  600 mb hard drive space
                  4x cd-rom

multiplayer (5-8 players)

P3 600
                  128 mb ram
                  16 mb video ram
                  600 mb hard drive space
                  4x cd-rom
                  tcp/ip (56k or better)

it came on four CDs, each CD holds 650mb of data...i'm fairly certain that a DVD holds about 4gb of data...i'm not sure about royalties but i think that unless a game is going to require at least three cds then it is cheaper to put it on cd, and if you put it on dvd only about 40% of computers compared to 99.99% of computers with at least cd rom drives (meaning you have just isolated about 60% of the customers)...and that putting it on both cd and dvd is going to be more expensive then just having it on one or the other...i bet the first game on DVD only will be C&C3: Tiberian Dusk or whatever they call it...more than likely it will come out in like 2003 will probably require at least a 1 ghz cpu and tons of hd space...and it would probably take like 6 cds to fit it on

Comment

Probably just 1 CD... That is the gaming standard. I doubt the game will be larger than AoE.
                    -->Visit CGN!
                    -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Originally posted by korn469
                      i can assure you that the normal civ3 disk won't be on DVD...i might be wrong but i don't think so

civ3 requirements (which won't be out till october at earliest)

P2 300 mhz
                      32 mb ram
                      100 megs of hard drive space (+50 for swapfile)
                      4X CD-Rom
                      Two or three month ago in another thread, we were talking about how big the game would be. I loaded all of my Civ 1, 2, and TOT games. I think TOT extended was around 85 megs. This game (civ 3) will be in the area of maybe 150 to 200 megs. Remember TOT was animated w/o the leaders.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph1944
                        Two or three month ago in another thread, we were talking about how big the game would be. I loaded all of my Civ 1, 2, and TOT games. I think TOT extended was around 85 megs. This game (civ 3) will be in the area of maybe 150 to 200 megs. Remember TOT was animated w/o the leaders.
                        Yeah but what was SMAC?

That would be a more realistic comparison as it is a newer game by the same company that is releasing Civ III.

The other thing is that what your loading on your hard drive is different than what is on the CD, there are still all the movies and such that you don't load and take up cd space. I still only think one cd, but just adding some food for thought.
                        About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

joseph1944

that is the requirements off of the infogrames civ3 website, which DanM from firaxis pretty much backed up when he posted in the release date thread that civ3 needed a middle of the road p2 and that he didn't think the requirements were too high...

i still know that civ3 with come on CD (probably just one); and i doubt that in this release of civ3 that it will come on DVD

wait to Civ3:Extra Super Special Uber Edition Volume 2 which will probably come on dvd in a jewel case made out of real jewels

Comment

Originally posted by korn469
                            joseph1944

wait to Civ3:Extra Super Special Uber Edition Volume 2 which will probably come on dvd in a jewel case made out of real jewels
                            I will buy this version for sure.
                            (Almost bought a 1.4 Ghz for 1296 today).

Comment

Working...
                            X