Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My statement to Firaxis (Firaxians, please read!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My statement to Firaxis (Firaxians, please read!)

Firaxis has always listened to our feedback. They are building Civilization III listening to what the fans are saying, and have not been ignoring our feedback thus far. This is very appreciated by the entire Apolyton community.
    However, recently an issue has risen about the screen resolution. Currently, to our best information from Dan Magaha, you need to be able to run at least 1024x768 pixels in order to play Civ III. However, there is a number of people, who would, for various reasons like to play Civ III with resolution of 800x600. Some prefer how that resolution looks, others have montiors that can not do any higher.
    I am asking Firaxis to implement the ability of playing the game under 800x600. If this will not be done, I will not, to my regret, buy Civ III. I understand, that the sales for Civ III will be very good, and I really hope this will be the case, and thus one or 10 customers can't mean so much to Firaxis as 1000 customers. But, 800x600 can be implemented, and other screen resolutions kept.
    Firaxis have promised to keep good support on the game, and we sincerely hope this will be case - accepting this offer could well demonstrate the most positive intentions Firaxis have in listening to Civilization fans and providing support in future.
    If here's anybody else to agree with me (I know here is), please post here. I would really like to see reaction by somebody from Firaxis on this issue.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Re: My statement to Firaxis (Firaxians, please read!)

Originally posted by Solver
    I am asking Firaxis to implement the ability of playing the game under 800x600.
    I agree and second that request.

1024x768 pixels gives me a headache and I had to give up playing some games that offered only this resolution.

Comment

Yes, my two reasons are and old monitor (and I have three reasons to keep it), and eye hurt I get in approximately half an hour after working with 1024x768. I have discussion on this in the Release Date thread also, by the way.

Comment

Assuming they don't officially recognize the lower resolution, I'm certain there will be an "unsupported" 800X600. However, this would likely mean some buttons wouldn't be accessible, etc. It might well be the case that they are packing so much info on one screen they couldn't redesign one with less space without splitting screens or something.

I hope, however, there is an elegant solution to this so nobody gets left behind. Even if most monitors can run a higher resolution, some people's eyes really hurt at higher resolutions...
        I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Best solution would be to implement both 800x600 and higher, this would leave you with the choice . I remember CtP kept the resolution in text file, and you could change it. Hope it will be changeable with Civ III, and won't lead to seeing only half of the buttons. Better would be an official support for it from Firaxis.

Comment

well, options are always nice. But is up to firaxis and how much they care about the little guy I guess.
            If the voices in my head paid rent, I'd be a very rich man

Comment

I think Yin's post will be the most accurate here. Firaxis seems to be smart enough for this. I don't think they would leave these people out unless it interfered with the gameplay.

Comment

at times companies have to move on

it would be silly and stupid to insist on backwards compatability to 386s

like wise in the future it will be foolish to insist on compatibility for 800-600 (I personally dislike it)

this time may be now, find a larger resolution/monitor size you do like and go with it

for your sake though I do hope that Civ3 can be run on the lower resolution

Jon Miller
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

You do realise that something like 50% of everyone who accesses Apolyton have an 800x600 resolution set? Almost all laptops, for one. Also, many many of us have 15" monitors- there is no point in upgrading, really.
                  Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                  Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

MarkG posted this in the Release Date thread.

screen resolution stats for apolyton

Resolution %
                    1. 1024 x 768 pixels 45.84
                    2. 800 x 600 pixels 32.11
                    3. 1152 x 864 pixels 8.43
                    4. 1280 x 1024 pixels 6.74
                    5. Other Resolutions 3.08
                    6. 640 x 480 pixels 1.90
                    7. 1600 x 1200 pixels 1.34
                    8. 800 x 553 pixels 0.31
                    9. 1024 x 721 pixels 0.21
                    10. 640 x 433 pixels 0.04

Comment

Originally posted by Snapcase
                      You do realise that something like 50% of everyone who accesses Apolyton have an 800x600 resolution set? Almost all laptops, for one. Also, many many of us have 15" monitors- there is no point in upgrading, really.
                      I only have a laptop

it is 3 years old

and I have always used 1024 by 768

can't stand less

Jobn Miller
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

maybe this is ehere I should mention that since I do have a 3 year old laptop

it is not up to spec

and so I will have to find some way to get a new computert

and I am already 3000 short on my college bill
                        Jon Miller
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Of course, I can upgrade my 15" to 17" or whatever, but I can't stand anything more than 800x600. There are very few monitors on which I can sometimes look with 1024x768...

Comment

get a flat screen

they are much better (to look at)

I giuess they are spendy right now at 400

Jokn Miller
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Are you talking about 400$ here? If so, that would mean cost of Civ 3 to me being 400 $, which is ridicilous.
                              Also, for 400$ I can buy a good new PC.

Comment

Working...
                              X