Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fluxcapacitor
    Lockstep,

I supposed "in the field" upgrading is a little unrealistic...
    Has anyone suggested returning a unit back to a base before it could upgrade?
    Everyone knows that a million to one chance comes up 9 times out of 10.

Terry Pratchett

Comment

Multiple levels of morale ... that one should be in Civ3, too. The best thing about it was not the sheer number of levels (I could live with 3 or 4 instead of SMAC´s 7), but the fact that you generally could not obtain elite units in the early game simply by building command centers (alias barracks). Your units actually had to fight to get promoted to the highest level. (Although, IIRC, that did not apply for the Spartan faction.)

As for SE: I really hope that at least the ordinance system suggested by Korn469 will make it into Civ3. It does not require SMAC´s social modifiers and therefore cannot be accused of being 'SciFi'.

About the UN/Planetary Council: Several previews mentioned new paths to victory (PC GamePlay talking about 'UN victory'), so I guess the UN is in.

BTW, does everyone but me agree with the '1 happy citizen = 2 points' rule?
      "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

I really hated the unit workshop. It made the units boring and predictable. Besides, since Civ spans over a so much longer time period, the technology makes such drastic changes it would be impossible to maintain standard models and just upgrade them gradually. I'm glad it didn't make it to Civ III.
        Last edited by Juggernaut; August 3, 2001, 18:18.

Comment

i would love a more involved UN model... someone dig up that old thread
          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
          - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Something that was nice in SMAC was the little narrative sequence when you discovered a new advance, I would like to see this is in Civ 3 where perhaps someone told you when and how this advance was used in history ( learnings fun ) , with a nice voice/voices this could add something to the game.
            It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

they didn't have a narrative sequence when you discovered techs in civ2? it's been a few months since i've played...but that was one of the better features in SMAC and i hope that it is in civ3 also (maybe they could have quotes from real people this time)

also the UN sounds more developed, and it has became a new method of victory
              Last edited by korn469; August 4, 2001, 09:18.

Comment

You can edit the quotes in SMAC. For example, you can put them to be quotes by Markos .
                Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Obviously the quotes would be great to have included with a voiced recording of those that impacted each tech.

Things that should have been included from SMAC that are not going to be:

- elevation of some sort
                  - Social Engineering
                  About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Maybe we're talking about different things, tniem, but elevation is included. For example: when a warrior or other unit walks onto a mountain, they get a small increase in their sight range.

Comment

Working...
                    X