User programmable AI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• User programmable AI

Now that would be nice, since the AI can be improved continuously.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Do you mean that Firaxis would create an AI.txt file that the user could modify, that Firaxis would create an AI metalanguage that the user could program in, that the user could write his/her own C++ (or whatever) code for the AI, or something else?
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Well, what do you think? What would be the best implementation? I prefer a set of files containing the rules, since doing real programming is daunting to your average player.
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Firaxis could do a lot worse than implement SLIC (the CtP/2 modifiable code). While the average gamer will leave it well alone and rely only on some easily modifiable text values, it would guarantee the hardcore modders would eventually repair any AI loopholes that slip past the Firaxians.
        To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
        H.Poincaré

Comment

Civ has had a long tradition of flexibility. This would vastly improve the situation of those who find themselves unsatisfied with teh game and increase its lifespan. Of course this would als o put a lot of work on the Firaxis programmers.
          *grumbles about work*

Comment

Amen! I have been singing this song since the early days of the list. I agree that it would make things easier for users and scenario writers if there's a way to modify AI behavior by changing a text file. But that doesn't necessarily preclude also giving the real hackers the ability to make fundamental changes in the code.

I'd love it if Firaxis released their AI code as a bunch of DLLs, and gave documention for each routine. The danger in this approach is that loading a modified DLL could really mess up your computer through incompetent or malicious programming, so you'd better trust whoever made the mods. On the other hand, this would give the public a lot more access to the logic of the AI routines, and would allow aftermarket users to design a text file based AI interface if Firaxis didn't provide it.

Comment

That has been done in AoE 2, and result is some really good scripts by users.
              Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
              I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Solver,

How's it done in AoE2? Any details?

Comment

From what "id" did, they have been letting the Users program it for years.

It would be nice to see what people do with the AI's and how they improve Civ!
                  -->Visit CGN!
                  -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                    Solver,

How's it done in AoE2? Any details?
                    In AOE2, Ensemble Studios provided a scripting language which was processed by the game engine in real time. You could actually debug your script by running the game with the computer opponent set to use your script.

Unfortunately, the AOE2 scripting language was limited to strategic decisions such as what to build, how much, and when. You could not tell the AI how to attack or what units to attack with, but you could tell it how many troops to send.

I wrote a large script for AOE2 which was used by many people and I intend to mod the AI for Civ III as well, if Firaxis make it worthwile (in other words, give us enough power - more than just text files please!)

Comment

BUT -

If firaxis was implementing a user programmable AI (and it would be too late to add now, so it would have been something decided on early in development) - if they did, I hope they wouldn't/haven't fallen into the trap that Activison did - "oh well, everything's customisable.....so we'll let the users actually finish the game for us" - as was the case with CTP2, and to a lesser degree, CTP1.
                      If the voices in my head paid rent, I'd be a very rich man

Comment

I hope they wouldn't/haven't fallen into the trap that Activison did - "oh well, everything's customisable.....so we'll let the users actually finish the game for us"
                        That's the same point I've been trying to make in a seperate thread. No matter how customizable the game is it should still be sent as a good game.

I would also like the to have an easy to use User Programmable AI.
                        However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

Here's a quote from Firaxis about the customization "More powerful and intuitive customization tools.". I'm not sure how old this quote is, though.

the link to that page is-

So maybe a user programmable AI isn't so far fetched after all.
                          However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

A customisable AI would be quite good for generating different civilisations. Perhaps each one has it's own nuances which determine how the civilisation will react in quite specific circumstances. Perhaps it will be possible to generate your own list of criteria and modify them as necessary, ie, for your own scenario or civ.

Something more complicated than the civ2 model where there were only three broad categories: friendly/neutral/aggressive, perfectionist/neutral/expansionistic, civilised/neutral/militaristic. I would like to see these attributes expanded on dramatically...
                            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Sounds great but how can you implement programmable AI???

In the AoE example, telling the computer to send a certain number of troops to a particular place is fine but not really satisfying. I crave an AI that actually does things intelligently and efficiently.

No more building stupid upgrades (Port Facility?!?) when the city lacks a granary!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X