Wonders in Civ3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wonders in Civ3

I know that they've split wonders up into major and minor ones, but I haven't heard much else. Are they keeping the same wonders, for the most part? Do they have the same effects? (Balanced, of course) Anyone have any thoughts?

EDIT: Spelling

What we know: The Civ2 wonders will be kept but some will have different effects. New ones will also be added.

The Great Wall will, instead of the old benefit, be a physical part of the map over which enemy attacks will be more difficult. The Great Canal is a new wonder which you can use to link two oceans with a passable canal. Another new wonder is The Internet, although they had not at the time of that article figured out what exactly it would be for.

Minor wonders that can be built by every civilization include the SDI defense and the Manhattan project.
    Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
    Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

I've heard about the Great Wall and Canal, but what else?

SDI is a wonder now?

Comment

Whoops. I meant "SETI". Sorry.
        Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
        Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Anyone care to speculate what the new wonders would be, we know of the internet and the great canal but what else deserves to be in?
          It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

Oh yes, SETI, I get it

If this turns into a speculation/whatif thread, is there ANY way at all I can remove my name from it? I hate those

Comment

There is only suppose to be 12 major wonders, this should really put the race for getting a wonder on!
              Alex

Comment

I wanna screenshot of the Wonders that show up on the map, like the Great Wall and Grand Canal. Previews have mentioned that they actually get placed on the game map. I wanna see how my empire looks with the Great Wall defending my frontier. ANy ideas on what other Wondes might be visible on the map (ie Black helicopter roaming the map after building the UN? )

Comment

Asking about what I would like to see on screen, I have always wanted to see the Hanging Gardens spilling water next to one of my cities. Others of course would be:

The Pyramids
                  The Colossus
                  Space Program (Minor Wonder - See the Shuttle on Launch Pad)

That is all I can think of at this time, other suggestions?
                  About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

I think it'd be cool to see pyramids and maybe other wonders on the map near the city that builds them.
                    Last edited by Sabre2th; August 3, 2001, 01:58.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre2th
                      I think it'd be cool to see pyramids on the map near the city that builds them. Considering the fact that you can see them from space......
                      Actually, you can't - the Great Wall is the only one human made structure visible from space.

But it would be nice if pyramids were visible on the map.
                      The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God?
                      - Frank Herbert

Comment

Originally posted by Martinus

Actually, you can't - the Great Wall is the only one human made structure visible from space.

But it would be nice if pyramids were visible on the map.

Actually you can't.

There is no man made structure that can be seen from space. Have you ever looked at a picture of Earth from space, can you see the Great Wall?

No. Look it is impossible the wall is only like 25 feet high. If you could see it than you would be able to see every skyscrapper on the planet. You can't.

The rumor began when the Chinese built the wall. It was said that the gods could see it from space or some thing like that. Well may be the gods can, but us humans cannot.

Debunking one rumor at a time...
                        About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Originally posted by tniem

Actually you can't.

There is no man made structure that can be seen from space. Have you ever looked at a picture of Earth from space, can you see the Great Wall?

No. Look it is impossible the wall is only like 25 feet high. If you could see it than you would be able to see every skyscrapper on the planet. You can't.

The rumor began when the Chinese built the wall. It was said that the gods could see it from space or some thing like that. Well may be the gods can, but us humans cannot.

Debunking one rumor at a time...
                          It is not about height (since from up there it doesn't really matter) but lenght.
                          The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God?
                          - Frank Herbert

Comment

So if we take a 5000 km long cord and put it in one line across lets say, the US, it will be seen from space?
                            "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Civilization Vs City

It would be nice, if you can see your wonders on the map. But I just had another idea:

In Civ I + II, wonders were created by a city. I think this is wrong. Because wonders like the Pyramids or the Great wall haven't been built by only ONE city. The whole civilization have done there part of work in order to build such a building! So I think wonders in Civilization III should be build by the civilization! If you start a project you have to spend your money on it, just as you have to spend your money on science. When you have spended enough money on it, the wonder is finished.
                              The empire will strike back!

Comment

Working...
                              X