No announcement yet.

Civ 3 graphics - what's the fuss about?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To me CTP II map looks better. (If civIII does not improve) The colors are my problem. Green sea and river color. Ok it is not totally green more like green/blue. But I liked bl;ue color of Civ II and than scale it to show the deeper/shallower parts. To me that green color of the deap sea would suoit better to the shallow water and hace deap sea dark blue like in real life. (well that is only just me) but PINK FRENCH LOL!

That is the best joke . I hope civ colors can be adjusted, if this is default and than no other civ has similar color scheme to them. All of the other civs looked OK from what I could remember.
    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

While we're at it, can we prevail upon the 3-D modelers to fix the leaders so they don't all have teeny-tiny eyeballs? The eyes in all of the screen shots look strange to me.

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX

and how come all this "hype" is set early-game? i never saw a video of someone playing with tanks and battleships.
        Not mention railroads
        "Pessimism: Every dark cloud has a silver lining, but lightning kills hundreds of people each year who are trying to find it." - demotivational poster

"It's not rocket scientry, you know." -anonymous co-worker

Comment

Now, WHY would Sid put his name on a below-par game? He never did such a thing....
          Research Covert Action and CPU Bach.
          I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Graphics are important in so much that they be crisp, clean, and concise allowing the user to easily distinguish between units, cities, terrain, and terrain features, et. al.

I don't see this from the screen shots. The desire to use realistic tones and such makes for a muddled view of everything at once. Sure, individual items by themselves look beautiful. Put them all together and you find yourself squinting in an attempt to make out exactly what you're looking at.

To me that's not an improvement, that's a problem. My wife still plays CtP2 (modified by me, of course ) and is still a pleasure to watch simply because most of the features are crisp, bright and easily distinguishable.

I hope viewing the screenshots is merely a muddled representation of what it actually looks like on a computer screen.

I'm sure it will be.

Comment

I hope viewing the screenshots is merely a muddled representation of what it actually looks like on a computer screen.
              I think there's a pretty good chance of this. Remember that the screenshots are compressed and are smaller than the screen would be.

Comment

This, of course, is ONE of the problems. I think the graphics look WORSE.

You got eyes?

You looking at JUST the screenshots, or did you also see the movie of Civ3 Gameplay? The graphics in that were utterly breathtaking..
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

whatever.

the graphics arent that good.

but really i could care less.

if I can tell that a Knight is a Knight and not a Crusader at first Glance, then hell, i'm ok with them.

(ONLY 90 MORE POSTS TILL I GET AN ICON)
                  "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                  - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

C'mon guys I still have Civ I installed where the tank is maybe 30 pixels...

All I really want is Civ II but with everything the way it should've been when it was released, plus a few 'more ofs' and 'biggers'.

Graphics=Schmaphics
                    "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                    "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                    "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Originally posted by yin26
                      Research Covert Action and CPU Bach.
                      What 'bout them?
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                      X