Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EB Games: Definantily Over Optomistic

EB Games Quote:
    The most detailed and beautiful art, animations and sound ever found in the genre.

Does anybody agree with this quote?
    Last edited by Alex 14; July 30, 2001, 02:27.
    Alex

Well...

Turn Based games are hardly known for their breathtaking graphics...
    So...
    Yes?
    Wojit - He likes rice

Comment

art, animations and sound
      Art: So far, they have NOT impressed.
      Animations: Cute and basically useless.
      Sound: No idea yet, but also not a must-have A+ item.

To recap: The art we've seen is weak, the animations are basically useless after seeing them the first time, and the sound could be important if done horribly or well, but mainly A) They have shown us nothing to support the wild claim about busting the genre and B) meanwhile they ignore discussing gameplay and AI, which are the bread and butter of this whole thing.
      I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

The units and their animations seem to be good but the rest... I still hope that Firaxis will change them

Comment

However, they seem to be very confident that CIV III will ship at
          10/16/01 !!!

Comment

Re: EB Games: Definantily Over Optomistic

Originally posted by Alex 14
            EB Games Quote:
            The most detailed and beautiful art, animations and sound ever found in the genre.

Does anybody agree with this quote?
            Sid said the same thing in a several interviews now. EB isn't writing this stuff, they're copying Firaxis' quotes. Besides that, how tough is it to have better graphics then SMAC and CTP? Not very hard, they're not very advanced graphically, that is in comparison to many RTS and FPS games.

Comment

Have you seen the screenshots, Serapis?

Comment

The screen shots look worse than CTP or TOT. Even worse than Civ2. They're more complicated than civ2...but worse.

Comment

Originally posted by SMACed
                  Have you seen the screenshots, Serapis?
                  I'm not arguing, I'm not thrilled with the graphics either, but I'm just saying that EB isn't rating games or doing hype, they just quote the best sounding news release from the company themself to increase sales. EB is not a place you look for honest reviews, there in it for money, of course they're going to describe games in glowing terms, no matter what game it is.

---

One thing that Jeff said in his interview was that the screenshots are not finished. I think they look pretty decent right now because again, half the polish isn't there. The basics are there, but the finishing touches that make things great are missing.

Besides be happy, if all they cared about was great graphics, it'd be months before they got a working game engine. As it is now, the graphics are mostly functional over finished, so that the programmers can tune the AI and game concepts. Makes sense to me. Less perfect graphics now means better balanced and more complete game later

Comment

Working...
                  X