No announcement yet.

So, what’s in for the statistics lover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, what’s in for the statistics lover?

I think I’ve made a thread like this once or twice before, but I suppose there’s no harm in starting another, especially since most of you won’t remember. (I can hardly remember them myself)

We have received a reasonable amount of info about civ3 already but I haven’t seen much of the statistics yet, which was a pretty much neglected feature in civ2. (the demographics screen, the civ score and the power graph, that was about it)
    So what I’d like to have is a wide range of clear cut, precise statistics and charts representing all features of your empire and the others, ranging from economic to military.
    Ever seen CIA’s world factbook? I think the game ought to have such one to view your empire and others and charts comparing the figures of each empire.
    It’s not only practical, the easier it is to oversee your empire in a single sheet, the easier it is to govern, it is also plain fun for stats lovers like me to compare your empire against other or against the past, to view your progress or decay.

I don’t think it’s too much to ask since, the data is already present in the game, it just needs to be covered and any 8 year old with some grasp of MS Excel can make slick, precise graphs.

And related to this, why not provide us with some good maps for change? We had the main screen but the only way to view a political map in civ1 or SMAC was by retiring from the game, which wasn’t very practical. Other maps might be a little harder but not impossible, such as population density, altitude, pollution, transport networks etc
    Sim City had it, so why not civ3?

Featuring good data screens and maps alone would be a large incentive for me to buy the game. (though not nearly as large as a good AI and diplomacy model but that's another issue)

Comments?
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

I love statistics, but I think that they should be totally customizable. Not everyone wants to see all that stuff. Personally, I wouldn't mind a report of every single battle in the game, just to analyze statistics and so forth...

Comment

If stats are included, they should really focus on the ones that effect the gameplay rather than just there for fun. Knowing land areas, populations, gold income/gdp meant more in Civ2 than knowing length of military service or literacy rates. A definite must, for example, is a stat graph for pollution levels of different civs.
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

They need to make it possible to see all sorts of statistics, on anything the player wants. That way, nobody will be disappointed, and if someone hates stats, they can just turn them off...

Comment

Originally posted by death_head
          They need to make it possible to see all sorts of statistics, on anything the player wants. That way, nobody will be disappointed, and if someone hates stats, they can just turn them off...
          I agree with you, but you don't want to be overloaded with stats.

On the more practical side how much time are Firaxis going to be able to spend on peripherals. In a trade off between a good bug free game and stats up to your neck, I know what I would choose.
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

There actually has been some threads that are like this one recently.

I want to be bormaded with stats from the demographics. It just adds a certain feel to the game. I love it when I find out that I only have the second biggest pop., so I have to work really hard to get that number one pop again. It kind of gives me motivation to be number one in all categories. There needs to be a more extensive demographics and top five x.
            However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Crunch
              I agree with you, but you don't want to be overloaded with stats.
              Which is why I said that people could have the option to turn the stats off...or mix and match for that matter..

Comment

I'm not proposing pop-ups or something similar, I'm proposing data reports, as there's the current demographics screen in civ2 but including a much wider range of data.

If you don't want to view such reports, then simply don't it.

Techwings, another thread won't harm I suppose?
                DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by TechWins
                  I want to be bormaded with stats from the demographics
                  darn right!!

i want as many statistics the championship manager series have. and more!
                  Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                  Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                  giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

The "ledger" in Europa Universalis sets new standards for presenting tons of statistical goodies in the game, 30 or 40 screens IIRC. I hope the Civ 3 people take a look at that and match or improve it.

Comment

Excellent idea! Not to mention it feels good to know that I am not the only stat-freak on the planet! Kautilya's right the EU ledger is simply sublime...
                      "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk." -Tuco Benedicto Juan Ramirez
                      "I hate my hat, I hate my clubs, I hate my life" -Marcia
                      "I think it would be a good idea."
                      - Mahatma Ghandi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization

Comment

I'm not so much interested in statistics inside the game as OUTSIDE the game. Can stats for various civs be logged in a file that can be imported into excel or another program? Program's like Civ always have some sort of debug mode so that means they should be able to log the gameinfo.

That's what I would like to see.
                        Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

whats IIRC stand for?

thanks in advance.
                          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                          - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

I cant seem to find the Palestines on the CIA list, are they not recognized by the U.S?
                            It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX
                              whats IIRC stand for?
                              If I Recall Correctly

Comment

Working...
                              X