No announcement yet.

Plate Tectonics: Natrual Wonders Of The World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If items like the Victoria Falls did generate extra income, it most likely would be commerce. Then again, maybe you meant that...

Comment

Originally posted by death_head
      If items like the Victoria Falls did generate extra income, it most likely would be commerce. Then again, maybe you meant that...
      Yeah, that was what I ment
      This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Ok, just making sure we're on the same page.

*kicks monkey at typewriter*

Thanks for making me look stupid!

Comment

Natural Wonders (If done properly)

Erosion, etc. (Time span is too short)

Triremes, etc. on rivers would be nice, but as we know, rivers are actually BETWEEN tiles, so it may not work.

*makes a quick phone call to report death_head for animal abuse*

death_head: :banned:

Comment

Rivers are between tiles? How did I miss that?

Comment

how does trade arrows work for rivers betwween tiles ??? i guess defence bonus only comes from attacks across the river it self ... bit like the old board games
              GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Actually, if I remember correctly (it has been years afterall), Civ1 had some natural disasters. Earthquakes would randomly destroy buildings, floods would kill people, etc. They weren't that major in the grand scheme of things, but they did add a slight sense of Mother Nature's superiority over you. And it probably wouldn't be that hard to program in either, although I'm sure that there are going to be players who would complain about its implementation.
                The Electronic Hobbit

Comment

Ya, if they could do it back then(when was that?), then they could easily do it now. The natural wonders would be cool, if done correctly
                  Civ=pi CivII=pi*d CivCTP=pi*r^2 CivIII=4/3pi*r^3 (hopefully)
                  Civ pi= It's coming
                  P.S. pi=(about)3.14159

Comment

Natural Wonders are a great idea, so long as they only confer a small advantage, and don't unbalance the gameplay.

How about this idea? Once some cities are wiped out in the early game, they leave behind a ruin square which can become a source of income for later cities built in that area. Real life examples are pompeii and those inca hill cites. The ruin could be pillaged like any other improvement.

Comment

well there have been sea volcanic action thats created islands within 1000 years at most..

but what would be more apparent over 10000 years would be the different extinctions of animals and affects of nature humans would have.

Comment

Natural disasters in civ 1 were a bit pants if I remember correctly, it was just a matter of a random city had a random event _unless_ the preventing city improvement had been built there. There was no relationship to surrounding terrain or anything else.

Comment

Well there is no way to have animals become exinct since they aren't part of the game. However, 10 000 years ago, Scandanavia, northern Russia, Canada and northern USA were covered with ice sheets more than 1km thick!!!

It would be very easy for a random selection at the start of a game to determine if the land is in the start, middle or end of an ice age. That way, there could be "random" events every 2000 years or so which cause the tiles along the borders to shift in one direction or the other.

Not that I'm actually suggesting this. This should be left to the realm of scenarios.

Comment

Yeah really cool effects,terrain changing and stuff,especially when you just finished reirrigating your cityradius after a barbattack and then you see glaciers take over your nicely terraformed grassland become useless and your population starts dying.

Why does everyone want to use platetectonics?THere are other ways to create decent maps.
                            All natural events that don't take to long(in time)(eg vulcanic activity,floods,storms,...) are to short for gameplay turns,they should best be made events.

Shade
                            ex-president of Apolytonia former King of the Apolytonian Imperium
                            "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." --Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)
                            shameless plug to my site:home of Civ:Imperia(WIP)

Comment

Re: Only one canal???

Originally posted by fittstim
                              I can think of two "great canals" - Suez and Panama - and hundreds of "near great canals". Why should this be a Wonder???
                              The Grand Canal is located in China and is a tiny bit more impressive than Suez and Panama combined. It basically connects all the rivers in a very large area.

Is a canal going to be something that an engineer can create??? That, I think, would be a great idea. Sort of like allowing them to produce river hexes (but I guess this would be abused in order to rack in the trades).
                              I hope so! Surely this is an important advance in human history. It should be a slow process though, lots of turns per square. Faster if you built the wonder.
                              A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...
                              Project Lead of Might and Magic Tribute

Comment

I've always wanted to be able to name features of the world (as in Conquest of the New World) like continents, rivers, oceans, mountain ranges etc.

I realize that the game screen would get a little crowded, but it would be nice especially if you could toggle the labels on and off.

I don't really think that natural wonders should provide civs with any additional bonuses (since they have nothing to do with the decisions that you make as a civ's leader), but having bonuses would accurately reflect the "real world", where tourists pay millions of dollars to see the Ngorogoro Crater, Angel Falls, Everest, etc.

However, I think additional points to the discoverer might be appropriate since discovering the wonder does reflect the civ's propensity towards exploration.

Comment

Working...
                                X