Alpha - Beta - Gold - Sold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alpha - Beta - Gold - Sold?

O.K., assuming the "October 2001" date on the latest ad really holds up (God help us all if it does), where must Civ 3 be right now? Let's work this backwards:

Sold: In stores by the end of October, let's say.

Gold: Obviously to go gold, you need at least a few rounds with the publisher...so assuming two weeks (?) to copy the master CD, get it into boxes, and deliver to stores, the final gold candidate would need to be ready by early October, which means most of September would need to be open for the 'kick the CD back to Firaxis for some fixes' process, right?).

Beta: So if September is mainly dedicated to polishing things up and getting the Gold CD ready, August MUST be the last and only time to run this game through complete Beta testing, and there's really no time to do major art changes at this point unless you want to risk last minute changes breaking other parts of the game, etc.

CONCLUSION: Assuming the screenshots we have seen represent late Beta work, we are in big trouble. Further assuming that a major beta effort should be or is nearly underway and we have heard NOTHING about it also tells me we are in big trouble.

DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT PRE-ORDER CIV 3 IF YOU VALUE YOUR TIME AND MONEY. Pick it up on the cheap around April when the first few patches will also be patiently waiting for you.
    I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

I think that your new avatar is very appropriate yin; you just won't let go.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

i think he might be onto something though... but arent we all used to games and other software not being right on first release, people dont do beta ttesting anymore they release the beta version for sale then ship a patch or worse yet charge for an upgrade
      GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Actually, Markos pulled his Admin rank and FORCED it on me. Nice of him, eh?
        I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

Comment

Can I be President of the Optimists club? I think Civ3's going to blow us all out of the water. Including yin.

My avatar could be a lamb going to the slaughter.
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

No it will be a great game! And Yin is just playing here.
            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

rethinking unthinkable

yin
              i agree with you, but graphics look SO UGLY that i simply cannot believe that they are beta. remember shakycam video. graphics there did not look anything like the screenshots you posted. plus, i haven't heard any e3 previewers complaining about graphics - they were rather reserved about the possibility to pull it off for the 3rd consecutive time...

Comment

Why do you stop there Yin? Why not go back further?

Sold: in the end of October/possably early Novermber?

Gold: I agree, maybe a month in a half to two months is needed... thats September and some of August...

Beta: How about end of June and July go to Beta testing? Whens the last time we've seen an update, news snipit, etc straight from the horses mouth? When was that slide show of screenshots explaining Resources put up? Wasn't it like early June or even end of May? From then to July... What have they been doing? I'm sure its not re-inventing the wheel. They already have new additions to the game added... the only thing left logicaly is minor things. Like graphics, bug hunting, and beta testing.

Conclusion: The game has been in beta testing for some time now. lose ends are getting tied, Gameplay and graphics are being carved in stone.
                "Mr. Chambers! Don't get on that ship! We've mastered the book, To Serve Man.... it - its a cook book!"

Comment

I still say that the game's graphics look better than Alpha Centauri's graphics, and they are light.

As long as they are not too light- the game will be worth preordering... but I have never preordered a game.

My advice: Wait till it's in stores, and then buy it after reading 2 reviews and looking at the box.
                  -->Visit CGN!
                  -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

More than likely the schedule you gave is for the game that you suggested - Sid's Sim Golf and Civ III is not expected until some time next year.

I just can't believe that they are a big enough developement firm to take on two games at the same time and be able to be beta testing them both at the same times. If they are, well good luck Firaxis.
                    About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Re: Alpha - Beta - Gold - Sold?

Originally posted by yin26
                      O.K., assuming the "October 2001" date on the latest ad really holds up (God help us all if it does), where must Civ 3 be right now? Let's work this backwards:
                      Yin when do they make the 12 scenarios? Will they assigned one or two people to work on them?

Comment

Yet another great question...

Comment

have they mentioned the number 12 as a fact?
                          Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                          Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                          giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

back in my days of glory when i was playtesting europa universalis, it took a team of over 100 people about 4 months to iron out glitches. Make that into your calculations. And yes,we were playing it heavily.
                            By the way, I read that someone posted here on the forum that EU was disappoiinting. It is a good game, it was heavily playtested yet it had considerable bugs when released. hope civ3 is not like that when released...

Comment

That is true, and EU was at version 1.06 before there was an English edition. The one thing I love about Paradox is that it was very playable at that point yet they still went on to accept suggestions calmly and release 1.07, 1.08, 1.09 and remain willing to do a 1.10, 1.11 and so on until they feel that they have produced the best version possible. If Firaxis have half their commitment then provided the gold version isn't irredemably flawed with stuff that cannot be patched, I believe Civ 3 will be a worthwhile purchase.
                              To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                              H.Poincaré

Comment

Working...
                              X