Will you purchase MOO3 or Civ3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will you purchase MOO3 or Civ3?

Within a few months (years), both Masters of Orion 3 and Civilization 3 will be out on the shelves; both are grand strategy games, and both are sequels to games with solid reputations. Which game, if any, will you purchase?

I for one will almost definitely purchase MOO3; I'll have to check the reviews to see whether I should buy Civ3. My reasoning is that MOO3 appears to be a significant advancement over MOO2, while I'm a little worried that Civ3 might not be enough of a change from Civ2 to make its purchase worthwhile.
    I'm going to buy both.
    27.59%
    I'm definitely buying MOO3, possibly Civ3.
    10.34%
    I'm definitely buying Civ3, possibly MOO3.
    31.03%
    I'm definitely/probably buying MOO3, but not Civ3.
    3.45%
    I'm definitely/probably buying Civ3, but not MOO3.
    14.94%
    I'm not sure; need to check reviews, ask friends, etc. first.
    5.75%
    I am not buying either game.
    1.15%
    I have never heard of Civ3 or MOO3.
    1.15%
    What?
    4.60%
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

I have never played moo 1 or 2. I don't even know what it's about. Is it something like civ?

I do know that I'll buy civ3, no matter what. Just so that I know what I'm talking about!
    Member of Official Apolyton Realistic Civers Club.
    If you can't solve it, it's not a problem--it's reality
    "All is well your excellency, and that pleases me mightily"

Comment

Same here, I have never played MOO. But I am interested in what is going on in MOO3. But I would expect that I will end up buying Civ3, it would take nuclear war to stop me I would expect

Although I'll definitely check out MOO3. Anyone have a link for information?
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I can't wait for Civ3. About MOO3, I'm gonna wait and see how the whole imperial focus idea plays out. Space civs have tried to eliminate micromanagement before (ie, Imperium Galactica 2) but most of those games feel flat, just weren't as involved a gaming experience as an average Civ game.

Comment

I have never played moo 1 or 2. I don't even know what it's about. Is it something like civ?
          MOO1/MOO2 are similar to Civ. In both games you start colonies (in MOO you colonize planets, in Civ you found cities) and build structures on those planets/cities in order to increase production/population/etc. You also make tech advances in both games. The biggest differences I can think of are that MOO has tactical combat, allows you to design your own units, does not have terrain improvements (except as abstracted planetary structures), does not have Wonders, does not allow you to change government types mid-game, allows you to customize the strengths and weaknesses of your race (civilization), and has unique admirals/governers who can increase the abilities of your fleet(s) and the output of your colonies.

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
            Although I'll definitely check out MOO3. Anyone have a link for information?

Comment

Had MOO 1 & 2. Gave both away. If there is a demo on MOO 3, I will play it before I buy the game. Still have all version of Civ.

Comment

moo is the same as civ except it uses cows instead of humans
                GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Civ got me first and I don't have enought time to learn MOO any more... well that's me... anyway I am more of a earth guy. Space is for others to explore and rule...
                  Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                  GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by campmajor!

I do know that I'll buy civ3, no matter what. Just so that I know what I'm talking about!
                    MOO2 is pretty much as technophile described. MOO1, the classic, is a lot different. the population is in the millions instead of 1 or 2 citizens, like in civ, and you adjust your priorities by sliding bars instead of moving people around. it also allowed for immense fleets (sometimes over a thousand ships) you could construct. The real cool thing about both MOO and MOO2 is the spaceship design. If you've played AC, the units workshop could be considered a pale shadow of the possibilities with the MOO spaceship design.

As for myself, I will definitely buy civ3. maybe my first preorder ever! MOO3 has me doubtful, since MOO2 pretty much sucked and the imperial focus sounds like a serious backfire. I'll play the demo for free, but don't count on me actually plopping money for it.
                    Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
                    ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

The original MoO is far superior to MoO 2 with one exception: you can't upgrade ships. Technical combat in MoO 2 is an interesting addition but I can do without it.

There are also some small errors in technophile's description, but I can't be arsed to fix it

I'll probably buy Civ 3 just on Sid's reputation alone, but MoO 3 sounds it's biting off too much it can chew. I'll see if I can playtest a "popular" version of it before I decide. If it can't run on my Windoze box forget it.

FB,

The Unit Workshop in SMAC is better since you can have a large number of unit types, as opposed to MoO where you are limited to six, a nonsensical restriction.
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I'll buy CIV 3 and maybe MOO 3. Moo 2 was phantastic, but I'm worried about the new stuff, it will be a RTS !!

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin
                          moo is the same as civ except it uses cows instead of humans
                          Rasputin, you have drink too much Vodka!
                          "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                          - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Originally posted by joseph1944
                            Had MOO 1 & 2. Gave both away. If there is a demo on MOO 3, I will play it before I buy the game. Still have all version of Civ.
                            If you can kill the guardian with only merculite missiles and zortium armor (in MoO2) like I can, you will surely still be playing this game (like me), because it has an immense range of weapons combination, wich can truly kick butts on MP games...

I'm going to buy both games, because they will surely be good games! Of course, if I sense that there is a risk of low support for MP gaming, like it happened with SMAC, I'll stick to a pirated version! So sue me! (no, don't do it, I'm kidding!)
                            Last edited by Zealot; July 18, 2001, 15:53.
                            "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
                            Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
                            Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
                            Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

Civ 3 and Moo2 are definetly eagerly anticipated by myself. Civ, was the very first computer game I bought. I didn't have a computer. My roomate at college let me play it on his computer.

Moo2 was the second game I bought, again with out a computer.
                              This time bugging a friend from college.

So now that I am all grown up and have my own computer I can play these games without annoying anyone, except maybe my wife.
                              What if your words could be judged like a crime? "Creed, What If?"

Comment

Working...
                              X