No announcement yet.

I Don't Wanna See this Happen Again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Don't Wanna See this Happen Again...

Especially note MWHC's last sentence in the last post.

This was from the last MicroProse game ever released and the last 'official' Civ game, ToT...

Please don't forget the little things, Firaxis, in all this hubbub over graphics and colours and other stuff.
    "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
    "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
    "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

my point exactly. lets not get a great prahpics game at the cost of the game itself being crap
    GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Good companies manage great gameplay AND great graphics. Why should you ask any less of Firaxis?
      I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Good games are not about graphics. While great graphics may improve the game, there are plenty of great games without graphics at all! If you know where to look, you can find free games entirely in text that are quite entertaining, although you often end up sketching a map on a piece of paper so you know where you're going.
        "Proletarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch!" -- Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels
        "If you expect a kick in the balls and get a slap in the face, that's a victory." -- Irish proverb

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!

Comment

...you can find free games entirely in text that are quite entertaining.
          Absolutely true. Of course, when I pay $45 for a game, I expect a tad bit more. Don't you? If Firaxis wants to offer Civ 3 for free, they have my permission to strip out all the graphics and let me draw my own map.
          I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

If they "go to" command is very efficient then wars would be more entertaining not having to move every unit tile by tile. It would also increase the fun of MP by shortening the amount of time each player would take by moving his units tile by tile. The more the AI can do effectively the more fun you will have playing the game in MP, as well as in SP.
            However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

Originally posted by JellyDonut
              Good games are not about graphics. While great graphics may improve the game, there are plenty of great games without graphics at all! If you know where to look, you can find free games entirely in text that are quite entertaining, although you often end up sketching a map on a piece of paper so you know where you're going.

Quite true, however if I want a great game with poor graphics I will get out my old copy of Civ I and play it on my old 286.

For this series to survive and to flourish in the future, Firaxis must at least give us adequate graphics. I do not believe the current graphics arrive at that point. That does not mean I won't buy the game or play it, just that the game will not bring in new audiences and wow the critics.
              About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

The way I see it, graphics is only part of the means for an end, the game itself. While surely it's great to have awesome graphics, it extracts a terrible toll in the form of expensive hardware. Steep requirements prevent more people from buying the game, which is A Bad Thing.

Therefore, some kind of balance must be reached between "having mind blowing graphics" and "can be run on any Wintel boxes."

Since Civ is not a game that depends heavily on graphics, I don't mind if it's graphics aren't gee-whiz-wouldn't-you-look-at-that. Look at Black and White for a counterexample.
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I agree with you. The most important thing is that the gameplay is good. The graphics are less important. As long as you don't get a headache of the colours...
                  Member of Official Apolyton Realistic Civers Club.
                  If you can't solve it, it's not a problem--it's reality
                  "All is well your excellency, and that pleases me mightily"

Comment

Playabilty is a must, anyone agree. I must tell that tniem point
                    For this series to survive and to flourish in the future, Firaxis must at least give us adequate graphics. I do not believe the current graphics arrive at that point. That does not mean I won't buy the game or play it, just that the game will not bring in new audiences and wow the critics.
                    is right IMHO.
                    It's not that we are asking for highly real time scalable graphics that can leave a GeForce 3 face down on the dust.

We were asking a decent 3D map but, renunced to that, any decent looking group of mountain that gently blend into hills, then plain, without seeing rivers and road floating a mile over the map.

Is not that a low spec PC can't handle a better map: I'm playing a 1999 game with graphics better than that I see at Civ III screenshots, and the review of it mentioned of "low attention on graphics by game developers"

The cold attention the game received by E3 is a very big alarm sign, IMHO. A game magazine here in Italy mentioned the game with low relevance, mostly as a Civ sequel "signed by a Sid too old and rich to spend his time caring of programming the game" .

Civ III have get same number of words as the SimGolf preview get, and quite less than others new ordinary games!

Consider that usually that magazine is quite good in rating games... well, you get the alarming news.

So, apart a stunning AI, probably too much for realistig game level standard, it will be better that Civ III playability blow reviewers socks off, or we'll be in low rating list

The shortcut to attract casual players and reviewers is still the same: enhance that #@!*&@ map graphics
                    "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                    - Admiral Naismith

Comment

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. So many recent games with "bleeding edge" graphics turn out to be duds, which seem to me that reviewers pay too much attention to graphics and nothing else.

I don't trust in most magazines anyway they seem to be unable to tell a good game from a bad game.

"That does not mean I won't buy the game or play it, just that the game will not bring in new audiences and wow the critics. "

How does a game without staggering graphics not be able to bring in new players? My contention is a game with lower hardware requirements are better at getting new players, since there are a lot more new players with older hardware than those with super duper computers.
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Urban Ranger, graphics alone isn't enough to sustain a game selling, but surely help at game kick-off

Reviewers have limited time to rate a game: add some limits to some reviewers by themselves...

Anyway, magazine reviewers have a place, as Internet sites have (and more people still look at newsagents easily than at Internet, at least in Europe).

Some bad review can probably damage game selling more than hard core fans opinion: without some strategy hint most players would never realize how stong or weak some part of game is, IMHO.
                        I learned more tricks on forum about SMAC that playing it ten times.

Casual, new players, will decide mostly looking at box and game graphics, with an eye on a magazine review "Overall Rating" box.
                        A star rating of "two or three out of five" on graphics can't help, IMO

Now, it is not that I think I can teach this to anyone, Firaxis team included: only hope my external point of view can help them with last minute changes
                        "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                        - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Gameplay is very important, but so is the graphics. Remember, no one will ever use MS Windows, if not for the Graphical User Interface.
                          ==========================
                          www.forgiftable.com/

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.

Comment

Long live MS-DOS!

Comment

Originally posted by death_head
                              Long live MS-DOS!
                              Yes, the blasted thing still hasn't died properly. It is a pain. I see that it just isn't microsoft that has a penchant for ancient pieces of code...
                              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                              X