If Civ3 gets released in October...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Civ3 gets released in October...

Infogrames itself is listing October as Civ3's release date, which I fail to believe. However, if this turns out to be true, I will personally capture and cage this Firaxis mascot (shown here with Sid circa 1992 on a much deserved vacaton after the successful release of Civ 1) until the 4th patch is released. But if progress is too slow, I might enroll him in the Activision Day-Care Center for Obese Firaxis Mascots...if you catch my meaning.

Oh Lord, hear my prayer. Please don't release Civ 3 based on quarterly financials. That is all...
    Last edited by yin26; July 11, 2001, 02:39.
    I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Sid shown here WITHOUT cat (circa 2000). It would be tough to get used to such an image...

I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

Comment

yin, you need to get over your firaxis addiction! that trip you made did some good(remember the thread you did when you returned?) but apparently it had only temporary effects....

of course you could try to use the addiction in a positive way like i have done with my civ addiction: make an "Apolyton Firaxis Site"(short: AFiS, sounding like an egyptian god)
      Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
      Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
      giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

LOL! Yes, you are sooo right. O.K. As of now, I am giving myself a 'vacation.' How long should I take? (serious, since I know you are too kind to do it yourself )

Comment

Listen to Yin

Yes,
          please listen to Yin and do not release it yet...

(I hearby have to change my decision of buying Civ3 asap to a later date, since I just cann't belive Civ3 to be ready for serious use in october. OK, I need a new computer as well before Civ3 ... 300MHz wow!!)

P.S. Has there been any talk about beta testers sofar?
          (IIRC Firaxis was quite keen in late stages of SMAC production to tell that their beta testers are doing a great work - haven't seen those writings here sofar)

Comment

October? That sounds about right. I hope it is on Halloween, thats my birthday

Comment

Jeje, what are your specs?

300Mhz will be for if you play the game the way it was made to play (animations, size of map, # of players), etc.

You might be able to run it, just not be able to do everything you want.

The 1024x768 is kind of confusing. Why does it have to be that resolution? (I've got a feeling its that city view).

A lot of the screenshots aren't at that resolution, they're at 800x600. They may have been scaled down afterwards. But it does seem wrong.

I'm not bothered by it of course

Comment

I'm interested to know why many people feel that this game will be buggy if it gets released early?

They've had a lot of time to make the game, and many people to make it. A bigger team than the team that made Black and White. (yes, I know it was buggy).

This game is not a revolution in gaming, they're all using known knowledge. They weren't doing any serious major changes or additions. They were just simply making things better. So 3 years sounds perfect to get everything done and without bugs.

And hey, October is just around the corner, can't wait. I'm really happy about it..

Comment

yin was right
                  i mean, all this info could have been posted on firaxis civ 3 site, i really do not know why it takes an army of fans to dig out all the informations....
                  300mhz is just about right...my 600mhz laptop is ok for abuse

Comment

Just like Jeje2 I have the same problem:

At the moment I only have a 180 Mhz. PC.
                    I am just able to play Ctp2, although it keeps
                    quitting to Windows, because I only have 32 MB....

So, don't release it yet, so that I can raise enough funds
                    for a new PC!
                    Member of Official Apolyton Realistic Civers Club.
                    If you can't solve it, it's not a problem--it's reality
                    "All is well your excellency, and that pleases me mightily"

Comment

Originally posted by campmajor!
                      Just like Contradiction I have the same problem:

At the moment I only have a 180 Mhz. PC.
                      I am just able to play Ctp2, although it keeps
                      quitting to Windows, because I only have 32 MB....

So, don't release it yet, so that I can raise enough funds
                      for a new PC!
                      man, you live in the netherlands! cmon, if we, lowly eastern europeans, can afford it, so can you....
                      i expect you to equip yourself with pentium IV, flat screen and all the gadgets...or i will start losing my faith in EU

Comment

I have an expensive wife...
                        Member of Official Apolyton Realistic Civers Club.
                        If you can't solve it, it's not a problem--it's reality
                        "All is well your excellency, and that pleases me mightily"

Comment

LaRusso:

It confuses me as well. One gets the feeling that the publisher is trying to pull teeth. This either means Firaxis is playing a cool game of poker waiting to lay down aces in a few months...or that cat is gonna come back looking awfully thin.

Contra:

I would agree with you except to say:

1. Just a few weeks ago, Dan was saying this and that just isn't "done" yet. He was referring in that case to resources, I believe. Now, if resources isn't handled properly, the whole game could be out of balance. I've also heard that they are about 85% done as of last month.

2. Which leads to the point that if they are releasing in October, they'd need to be in beta testing by now. But beta testing stuff that isn't "done" is a lesson in frustration, and ultimately the programmers will be forced to think more about meeting a deadline than putting the game through some hard-core testing with hard-core players.

3. The lack of information leads to only one of three conclusions: First, Firaxis could be totally and utterly disorganized (I leave that to your own view as to how such a situation might reflect the final product). Second, Firaxis could be the first and only gaming company in history to have kept quiet about an absolute gem because, you know, why advertise? Or, third, there could just not be anything to brag about yet. Just two months from a potential release date? Logic begins to cast a dim shadow over the situation...

Trust me on this: If Civ3 gets released in October, it will be a good 3 or 4 patches before we come even close to getting the game it should have been. And just when we WERE getting close, Firaxis will decide it's time to move on or put the real fixes in an expansion pack to "justify" the programming time that should have been better allocated to begin with. I've seen it a hundred times.

Now, what I think is happening is that the tired dance is working from the publisher's angle on this one. In all likelihood, Firaxis want to release this baby in Q1 or Q2 2002 but is getting this kind of indirect (and direct?) pressure to make the 2001 quarterlies look good. This, also, happens ALL the time. The question is: Can Sid's name keep the sharks calm? One would hope.
                          Last edited by yin26; July 11, 2001, 04:38.

Comment

Originally posted by campmajor!
                            I have an expensive wife...
                            expensive usually means 'fine' congratulations!

Comment

1) october sounds like publisher's wishfull thinking to me...
                              2) if i dont hear it from firaxisi dont consider it to have much base
                              3) remember the initial date for smac and the actual release date....
                              Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                              Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                              giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Working...
                              X