Civ I's Useless Copy-Protections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ I's Useless Copy-Protections

Civ I's copy protection was useless... For Civ III's sake, I hope that if it utilizes copy-protection it does so in a better way than:

"A usurper claims you... etc... What advance is this (shows picture of a man holding a hammer)
    a: iron working
    b: Philosophy
    c: quantam physics

The answer is A. Any civ Player would know this... frankly anyone with a brain would know this. However, if you got it wrong, all you did was lose your units; and the usurpers claims stopped by 0 AD... (I think)
    -->Visit CGN!
    -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

I find it annoying when games require the CD to be in the drive. What's the point of a full installation?

It's not as if requiring the CD will prevent anyone from copying the whole CD and then using it.
    Humans are like cockroaches, no matter how hard you try, you can't exterminate them all!

Comment

I'm still trying to decide on how should I get Civ3.

I guess that I will buy it(a rare thing ), unless it will be a failure. In this case i'll just download it or i'll buy an illegal version.
      So Sid, make sure the game is good.
      "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

lol Civ 1 copy protection is as dumb as Dune II's You can guess your way out of both of them. If they think those pirates are dumb they are sorely mistaken. It's not as if 5 year olds play civlization

I actually don't want to see any protection for Civilization III. I really don't think it affects sales as much as they are made out to be. People still get pirated copies so it doens't really do much (except to stop the casual gamer from copying his/her friend's game). Lately, there have been way too many problems for legitimate purchasers. The last few games that I have followed (not strategy games) caused more problems than anything. The games won't work in many older CD-ROMs and it was really a mess. In fact, one of the recommendation on one of the fixes was to disable copy protection

If the game is good it will sell on its merit; if it sucks it won't. It's that simple... besides I expect most civ III players to be older and hence they can afford the game (those that pirate are the younger ones that can't afford games)...

KoalaBear33

Comment

I have no problems with needing the CD-ROM in a drive the whole time I'm playing the game. I don't need the drive for anything else, so I'm not bothered.

Of course you can never defeat pirates regardless of protection schemes. Aeons ago companies have tried to use things like screwy diskette formatting and so forth to thwart pirates. All they accomplished was annoying legit users.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by KoalaBear33
            It's not as if 5 year olds play civlization
            You obviously haven't been reading some of the posts around here. I'm not going to name names.
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Isn't it late - or more precisely, early - in Montreal?
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

You obviously haven't been reading some of the posts around here. I'm not going to name names.
                hehe must be some really smart 5 years olds... probably have IQ over a 100

KoalaBear33

Comment

CIV 1's copy protection might have been useless, but it was definitely fun!!

Comment

Civ I came out in the days when copy protection was in its infancy. The question and answer system was quite good when not every player had easy access to a photocopier in work or on the high street. Most games of the time used similar methods. I expect Civ III will employ one of the modern standards (which will no doubt be cracked within 6 months and replaced within a year).

I heartily agree with the posters who advocate copy protection that does not depend on the CD being in the drive. However I would not recommend replacing it with the type of protection used in the original SimCity - that black on brown code sheet was almost impossible to read even before I spilled coffee on it
                    To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                    H.Poincaré

Comment

Originally posted by Grumbold
                      ...which will no doubt be cracked within 6 months...
                      6 months??? 6 days sounds more real

Copy protection is mostly useless, the only protection there should be is a protection so the CD can't be copied (by us who doesn't know anything about cracking), a more advanced copy protection only annoys the buyer, as far as I know there's no copy protection nobody has cracked yet.

Copy protection is a waste of time
                      This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

As some of you might remember that kind of protection was pretty standard on microprose games in the good old days. The same kind of protection was on F-19 Stealthfighter (mostly aircrafts), M1 Tankplatoon (mostly army veichcles, soo simple) and Pirates! ("When did the silvertrain/Treusure fleet arrive in [town] in the year xxxx?") and a few others I guess.

Frankly only the Pirates! one was hard (when you know that one you really needed help) in the other chases the manual wasn't really needed since it wasn't that hard to figure it out. But I think it was nice in a way, the people really intrested in the game didn't need to buy it.

Comment

In the past I've had problems with some games that had copy protection programs that use coding to verify the presence of a legitimate CD in the CD player. They caused the game to crash frequently. There has to be a better way.
                          "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

I too would not like to see a CD copy protection scheme... since many people nowadays have an ample amount of hard disk space, I want to be able to do a full installation of Civ 3 and not have to worry about the CD again.

In addition to causing the hassle of always having to put the CD in first, requiring the CD also means you cannot listen to your own CDs while playing, and for those of us with noisy CD-ROM drives, the sound of the CD constantly being accessed (or even worse, intermittently being accessed, meaning the drive is always spinning up or slowing down...) during gameplay is a factor that might diminish the enjoyability of Civ 3. Part of the charm of Civ 2 was that it was quick to start up, no CD required, whenever you wanted... so I hope that if copy protection is included, it be implemented in a different way, although it will be probably cracked soon anyway - it will make copying the game somewhat more difficult all the same.

I agree, the Civ I copy protection was somewhat ridiculous... but not as much so as was that in the ten-year-old game SimEarth, which asked you for some statistics about planets in our solar system, which were featured in the manual. Of course, you could always look up the numbers anywhere else as well...

Comment

Copy protection doesn't have to be too complex; as a matter of fact they shouldn't be. All it does is to thwart causal copists, not the pros - nothing stops the pros.

I don't see the CD protection scheme as bad since without it a group of people can just do full installs on their computers with one copy of the game.

Comment

Working...
                              X