No announcement yet.

PC Gamer UK: No (UK) release this year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grumbold, on your subject title it sounds like you're talking about a late UK release. Could this just mean that the game will still be released at the scheduled time in the states and shipped out to other countries at a later time? Maybe I'm just hoping a little bit too much.
    However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

The magazine reported the UK release was to be pushed back to around march. This implies that the whole product may be being delayed but does not guarantee it. If you look at the game Arcanum you will see a certain level of bitterness in the US public because release is being withheld until the 24th August to allow all "localisation" to be completed and a simultaneous worldwide release to occur. The US version has been "gold" for some time.
      To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
      H.Poincaré

Comment

It's not accountants, damn it. It's the marketers (suits). They are bad news as they always want to run the show. That can't happen. They need to be reined in and told what to market.

Of course, being a techie, I could be biased
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Well if it is just the UK, or non US versions that are delayed for considerably longer, I consider this a great insult. Why the hell should one country get the thing so much earlier than the other? There is no logical reason for it that I can see other than trying to rip off the public.

Personally I can't see this being the case, they would be shooting themselves in the foot and make a lot of people very angry. It is known it will sell in all countries well, so they would release it moreorless simultaneously. If not, I will not be happy especially if they have this regional limitations on where the software will run, which I doubt (why do they do that? So you have to buy a more expensive European version? Profiteering of the worst kind, and constitutes a barrier to free international trade and competition when you look at it like that)
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Provost, let americans be the beta tester of early release. We'll enjoy the game after the second patch, already bundled with international version of the game.

BTW, are british english and american english diverging so much that they need different translations?
            "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
            - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Originally posted by Adm.Naismith
              BTW, are british english and american english diverging so much that they need different translations?
              It can't be doing younger British-Australian-Canadian-NewZealandian children good to learn spellings like "color" and "civilization". Every non-American knows its supposed to be "colour" and "civilisation"

It's a problem with the Gameboy Color - how can you tell a schoolchild that it is meant to be "colour" when the US spelling is splashed all over the TV?

Comment

Localisation includes all sorts of country-specific stuff. Language conversion. Testing the software for a "maturity" rating to their standards. Different publishers may be involved. Co-ordinating marketing with release. Artwork. Arranging local production of the game, box and other components. Distribution.

Unless you are a big company with multiple teams a game must be "gold" in the primary country before it can be adapted to fit others. All the time you hold back release in that first country is potential revenue earning time, especially if it is a good time of year for a release. Most adopt for a "ship when ready" approach in each country separately.
                To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                H.Poincaré

Comment

that S is a brit thing.

like fags.

all you fags.

::lights up a ciggy::
                  "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                  - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by Adm.Naismith
                    I pray for this. I'll become more religious, if not a fanatic fundamentalist, in change of a better enhanced and refined Civ III
                    You put rather dramatically, but I basically agree. If they can achieve that before christmas - OK, fine. But IF they must postspone the release-date to spring-02, I really wouldnt mind that much. The important thing is that they release a product that have the potential to become yet another all-time-classic.

Besides, Firaxis have also the "Sid Golf" project as well, which is good. Its never a good idea to put all eggs in one basket alone - even if the Civ-3 basket indeed is a promising one.

Comment

Working...
                    X