Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Civilization certified as a professional game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilization certified as a professional game?

I would like to do another poll with a different approach to the same subject.

In order for Civilization to achieve professional status like chess, there needs to be a place where matches are played and the results are certified and recorded. These games would be able to be saved on the game server and the host could restart them at a later date.

That way nobody can cheat between games because the game is saved elsewhere.

Also this would insure game longevity. The host could start could start the game with the same people or anyone who would be interested in that game. Anyone would be able to view basic information about the game on the game server.
    Firaxis needs to include a site where games can be saved and played later and where matches are certified and recorded.
    29.17%
    Firaxis need to include a site where games can be saved and be played later but it is not neccesary to certrify and record matches.
    0.00%
    Firaxis needs to include a site where matches are certified and recorded but no need to save them on a Firaxis server.
    4.17%
    Firaxis just needs to have a site where players can meet and play by LAN.
    27.08%
    I would like to be able to play multiplayer but just single player is fine.
    22.92%
    I hope Firaxis doesn't spend any time or energy worrying about multiplayer capabilities.
    16.67%
    ...Liberty and Justice for All

Time makes a game a classic. The entire Civ series is barely 10 years old. It's also to abstract to be useful like Nova Logic's Delta Force is by the Army. So I'd say that its not poissible for Civ to be a certified professional game.

Comment

Whoops took the post out of context. Thought you were talking about chess comparisons, not starcraft comparisons for professional gamers. I'm not sure long games like Civ are well-suited for pro-gaming like South Korea has. Does S. Korea have long games like Civ played professionally? Can a 25 hour game be profitable to hosts?

Comment

Originally posted by SerapisIV
        Whoops took the post out of context. Thought you were talking about chess comparisons, not starcraft comparisons for professional gamers. I'm not sure long games like Civ are well-suited for pro-gaming like South Korea has. Does S. Korea have long games like Civ played professionally? Can a 25 hour game be profitable to hosts?
        This can be profitable if they have a monthly fee like they have with MMORPG's. I would be willing to pay $10 a month if the site was good enough. Or maybe they could do it like Cases ladder where you get basice capabilities to play for free but you would be able to have your games rated and use other features with a monthly fee.

As far as a long term game being possible, I think it would be with the capability to save those games on a game server and pick them up later. This would avoid the problems in the past of cheating on saved games since they would not be available for the players when they arn't playing them.

Comment

As far as a long term game being possible, I think it would be with the capability to save those games on a game server and pick them up later. This would avoid the problems in the past of cheating on saved games since they would not be available for the players when they arn't playing them.
          That could be great if the games are saved on the server (and deleted if not used for a certain amount of time), but I think if they have to that, they will problerly charge us some money per month for it...And if they charge us money there isn't many people back to pay for it. Some other poll showed about 40-50% wouldn't care about if there where MP support in the game or not, and I think about 25% of the remaining will leave if there's a monthly charge

Since I'm not sure about this I think I'll make a poll (if I can figure out how it's done )
          This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by ADG
            and I think about 25% of the remaining will leave if there's a monthly charge
            Looks more like 75% for me.

They must make it free IMO.
            "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Originally posted by Eli

Looks more like 75% for me.

They must make it free IMO.
              It was supposed to 75% not the 25% I wrote, woops
              This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

The more I think about it ther more I think it would be good to have basic playing capability free, and it would be worth itf or hard core civers to pay a modest monthly fee if they wanted to have all the bells and whistles.

Comment

i voted: Firaxis just needs to have a site where players can meet and play by LAN.

i NEED multiplayer, and the Alpha HQ fiasco is ringing in my head.

maybe the zone could serve as a meeting place?

"I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                  - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

"Firaxis just needs to have a site where players can meet and play by LAN."

I'm not sure how to understand this. Should I read this as a site where people can play LAN, sholud I read this as a site to play by internet and an option in the site to play by LAN, or should I read this as a site to play by internet and an option in the game to play by LAN?
                    However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

play by internet and play by lan are the same, they just used different protocols.

(at least in civ 2)

lan used IPX. internet used TCP/IP.

if u were on a lan and ure ip was 192.168.0.3 (me on my lan), you could host an internet game, and have LOCAL machines join via that ip, and DISTANT machines join with your main one.

techies. w00t!
                      "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                      - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

That's not my question Uberkrux. My question is that option to play the game on the site there for people who want to play by the interent or by LAN and the internet. Meaning if I want to play just by LAN am I going to have to go to that site to play by LAN? Not, can I play by LAN and the internet at the same time.
                        However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

I never used AlphaHQ (didn't have time to play anything lengthy online) but a possibility is that Firaxis could work something out with Gamespy and have a built in player-matching service like Lionhead did with Black and White. (It's like what Starcraft has except I think Gamespy maintains the servers instead of the game publisher/developer).
                          I not only dream in colour, I dream in 32-bit colour.

Comment

Championship

This could be the start of various touraments and yearly championships. I
                            think most civ players have a little meglomania in them and a WORLD
                            Champion would appeal to most.

Comment

I read in an interview that Sid Mier likes Blizzard and has a lot of respect for them for what they have accomplished. I can only cross my fingers that Firaxis uses a Blizzardlike interface that will enable us have certified and recorded games and to save games on a community server that the host could restart at a later time.

This would cut out cheating between multiplayer games by having the games stored elsewhere. Also with the game being on a community server people could view basic information about the game ans see if they wanted to play it.

Additionally, we would be able to have ratings to see who is best and could have Firaxis sponsored tournaments.

Comment

Working...
                              X