Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

liberals.

pah.
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX
      liberals.

pah.
      like i said, this isn´t a matter of if one personally not like it. in the real world i don´t like nuclear or nationalism either, but it´s cool in the game.

Comment

I think it would be better the other way round. The tech would be printing, leading to the printing press improvement. Any city which built a printing press would have more unhappy people under "restrictive" governments but some cultural and scientific benefits. Under more liberal governments the unhappiness penalty would be reduced or finally removed. I wish more techs worked like this, so that the renaissance or industrial revolution occurs when a certain number of cities have built the requisite improvements, not when someone researches a tech they then fail to implement.
        To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
        H.Poincaré

Comment

that´s a really god idea and with the PRINTING tech, the construction of JOHN LOCKE`S COMMON SENSE would be allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by uncle_funk
            well, it may be a consequence, but one with great impact. and one of such historic importance it should be implemented in Civ III IMMEDIATELY!
            Whatever. If something is merely a social consequence of technology, then it shouldn't be hard-wired into the game; It should arise as part of a more complex array of interactions.
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

that´s a really god idea and with the PRINTING tech, the construction of JOHN LOCKE`S COMMON SENSE would be allowed.
              You know, just because you like Locke doesn't mean that he should be in the game. The benefits of "Liberalism" are already modelled by the availability of a switch to democratic government.
              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Haphazard
                I just like the idea of common sense being a wonder of the world...
                Only problm with common sense is that it isnt as common as most would think
                GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

You know, just because you like Locke doesn't mean that he should be in the game. The benefits of "Liberalism" are already modelled by the availability of a switch to democratic government.
                  did i ever say i liked him? i just think it´s a cool wonder. i like wonders. i like to be innovative. do you think Sid likes the Manhattan Project just because he put it in the game?

Comment

i hate the wonders , i wish they were all out !!!
                    GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Apologies uncle_funk, but for once I think KH has not been disparaging enough of a silly idea. "Common sense" is not a technology or a wonder. If it was so common, it's highly doubtful it could have been invented.

Furthermore, John Locke did not in any way "discover" common sense - he supported a humanist and idealistic view of human nature and politics that developed into classical liberalism. The political and economical effects (improved productivity, reduced corruption) of the rationalist/liberal revolution in philosophy are well-represented by the "Democracy" form of government, so I don't see that we need another technology or form of government to achieve the same thing.
                      Diplomacy is the continuation of war by other means.

Comment

i´m reffering to the fact that Locke´s ideas were called "common sense", noth that he should have invented the common sense or something.

besides, the liberal ideas had great impact all over the world at this time. i´m just saying that it´s a very relevant peice of history that would have been interesting to have in the game.

Comment

Liberalism seems too abstract to be a wonder or a tech... possibly a government suboption that would allow your people free speech or not?

Free Speech- +50% happiness
                          No Free Speech- -50% crime (there has to be some sort of bonus.)
                          -->Visit CGN!
                          -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

YOU DONT LIKE NATIONALISM?

faith in your country must suck.

i happen to like sweeden (or sweden, i've seen it both ways).

vacationed there a few times.

ANYWAY...

why dont you like nationalism, and the will to die for your nation and it's ideals?
                            "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                            - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX
                              YOU DONT LIKE NATIONALISM?

faith in your country must suck.

i happen to like sweeden (or sweden, i've seen it both ways).

vacationed there a few times.

ANYWAY...

why dont you like nationalism, and the will to die for your nation and it's ideals?
                              it's sw-e-den.

yeah, faih in my country sucks. and i think it should. we´re just stiff, civilized people, mostly atheists too. we're quite cultivated, good at music and IT.

i don't like patriotism and nationalism cause it's these kind of things to make people go to war and do crazy things. it's fine in when it comes to sport but beyond that....

i don't like my nation so much, we're just a puny country in the north and have a funny accent. and i certainly wouldn't die for my country, i disagree with most things here. and we were cowards during WWII. i don't think anyone in Sweden would die for this country. we're just soft.

Comment

Everyone is probably a little patriotic but excessive nationalism just breeds intolerance, xenophobia and allows extremists to gain power. Just look at the list of current wanted war criminals for an example of the biggest "patriots" around.
                                To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                                H.Poincaré

Comment

Working...
                                X