Players should NOT be allowed to build cities on mountains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Players should NOT be allowed to build cities on mountains

No cities are built right on top of mountain peaks. Cities in mountainous regions are built in valleys - even Katmandu.

So why should people be able to do this in Civ III?
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

I can say I'm surprised you didn't post this thread before. However, I think you won't smash the record of replies the other one got.
    "An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike"
    - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

*snicker* not again
      Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Do we care

Besides, the lack of food is the real reason....like the civ.

Comment

So if you can't build on a city on the mountain how could you move on it? Would you have to have rock climbing units? What you have to understand is that the mountain tile doesn't just represent one mountain, it represents multiple mountains. Meaning that there would be pathways between the mountains. The city is built on the pathways not the actual mountain and the units move between the pathways.
          However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

*sigh*

It's a bloody big mountain range, so a city can be built anywhere in there, not just on the top of the highest peak.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

*snore*

Another night on the graveyard shift there UR?
              Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

There's no need to add extra rules when the disincentive to establishing a mountain city is its growth potential.
                To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                H.Poincaré

Comment

WOW! everyone on this thread seems really lively!

dont you think people would be more like "lets settle in this nice mountain valley" than " ok boys were gona climb everest today!" "why?" "becouse we were assigned to build a library"
                  "Nuke em all, let god sort it out!"

Comment

Geeze, running out of trolls or something AH?

What is this, Second or Third time on this one?

And quess what, It sounds just as stupid this time around.

RAH
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                      Geeze, running out of trolls or something AH?

What is this, Second or Third time on this one?

And quess what, It sounds just as stupid this time around.

RAH
                      Perhaps we could come up with a list of pre done topics and ming could set up another area to redue them. Like Civ3 suggestions in review.

Comment

I'm supporting you Horsie, we can't have this nonsense.
                        DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Again, in Civ 2, with a huge map supposedly representing an earth sized planet the tiles are about 200 miles across, so a mountain tile represents highly folded terrain with all its peaks and valleys. The question that might be asked is what sort of mountains are represented by the mountain terrain in Civ. Does it only represent the most rugged terrain like the Andes or the major chains defining the Himalayan area? Does it also represent the lesser mountains like the Appalachains and the Balkan ranges, or would these be more appropriately represented by hills? There are areas in China that are very rugged yet have a population density to rival that of europe's most densely populated urban areas. In fact I've often thought that there should have been an allowance to allow irrigation of mountains. Then again maybe Civ needs two types of mountains.
                          "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

When a tile contains mountain terrain, I don't just think of it in terms of its altitude; I think it also has a lot to do with the quality of the terrain, i.e.: is the ground dirt, or is it rocks?
                            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Killing it is the new killing it
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                              When a tile contains mountain terrain, I don't just think of it in terms of its altitude; I think it also has a lot to do with the quality of the terrain, i.e.: is the ground dirt, or is it rocks?
                              Yes now we are on the right tract, we can have:
                              brown mountian to signify soil terrain
                              silver mountains to signify rock terrain
                              black mountians to signify valcanic terrian
                              and red mountians to signify lots of rose bushes

Last edited by jake03; June 29, 2001, 10:57.

Comment

Working...
                              X