X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rise and Fall of civilization

I think rise and fall is STUPID.

CIV3 is not Sim-History 4000BC-2000AD

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO to rise and fall. **** realism.

Sure, I'd like to see giantic wars and barbarian invasions that redraw boarders dramicly, but I don't want to see my 4000year old city gone because of some idiot.
    YES
    64.52%
    NO
    16.13%
    Neutral
    6.45%
    Bananas
    12.90%

If "Rise and Fall" of civilization is not done right it can be frustrating and annoying but if done right it can make the game a lot more replayable and enjoyable.

So again, it just depends on how it is implemented.

There are certainly many players who enjoy Civ precisely because it is NOT just a strategy game but because (to the limited extent possible) it can "simulate" or recreate historical development. I am one of them.

I recall doing a poll a while back and 75% of respondents said they prefer to play Civ3 as a sort of "historical simulator" than as a strategy wargame.

Comment

I'm against this... The computer would most likely be made too weak for this to work.
      -->Visit CGN!
      -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Originally posted by polypheus
        So again, it just depends on how it is implemented.
        I agree. I voted Yes, but it all depends...

I really stupid way to implement "Rise-and-fall" would be in the form of totally random events completely unrelated to how you play the game.

A better way would be if you manage your empire in a risky & sloppy manner. Lets say that you painted yourself in a corner by letting your empire-financial surplus be very weak - even negative. Also; that you have let your city-happiness stand and fall too much with martial-laws unit-presence. On top of that; your enemy AI/MP-civs now join together and strangle your trade-routs. This now become "the straw that break the camels back".
        A relatively big part of your finance-supported huge army refuses to follow your order (no wage) - perhaps even desert. As a result; several cities (perhaps 25-50%) start to revolt simultaneoulsy - and yes: even declare independence. If you dont act pretty quickly, everything self-feedingly spirals out of control.

The bottom line is: Managing an Civ-empire (especially a really big one) should be like rolling a ball along a narrow flat surface which blends over in a gradually more down-sloping surface, both left and right. If your ball rolls close to either slopes (as a result of risky/sloppy empire-managing) then things can easily (and self-feedingly) spiral out of your control. In short: the domino-effect.
        Last edited by Ralf; June 28, 2001, 17:56.

Comment

Re: Rise and Fall of civilization

Originally posted by MORON
          I think rise and fall is STUPID.

CIV3 is not Sim-History 4000BC-2000AD

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO to rise and fall. **** realism.

Sure, I'd like to see giantic wars and barbarian invasions that redraw boarders dramicly, but I don't want to see my 4000year old city gone because of some idiot.
          Did you ever succeed winning CivII on Deity level with seven Civilizations, Raging Hordes, not building Wonders, preserving a spotless reputation, on a small map, and not cheating in any possible way?
          Jews have the Torah, Zionists have a State

Comment

No wonders makes it hard, but the rest of it is no problem.
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I voted bananas. Bananas are good. When a cute girl eat's them correctly, I go bananas.

Anyway, I like the idea of beaten civ's coming back. I love rooting for the underdog. But I think that would require more intelligent AI's to beat up on the player so others could grow again. Even better would be an AI better then a human player, but that's still more of a hope then reality, but I got faith in Firaxis putting out the best Civ AI yet.

Comment

Originally posted by SerapisIV
                I voted bananas. Bananas are good. When a cute girl eat's them correctly, I go bananas.
                I'm not even going to touch that one.

Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                  I'm not even going to touch that one.

That's the problem, neither would she, damn women with taste

Comment

I thought better of what I posted here. Damn, but it was funny.
                    Last edited by KrazyHorse; June 28, 2001, 15:49.
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I voted Bananas too.. I must be very sick

But seriously , it reaaly depends how it is implemented, a clever programmer could make it work. IAs stated above, if you mismanage your civ and arent keeping them happy then the people are very liable to revolt and cause a few citys to secede from your empire . I hope they make the mainatainance of very large civs much harder , becasue that would be more realistic.
                      GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Yeah, too salty...I mean, I like mangos, big mangos

Okay, thats enough spam for me, that was fun though.

Comment

We move from fruits (well herbs actually brcause thats what bananas reaaly are , they technically arent fruit) to meat (Spam is a spiced ham avaialble in most shops in nice little tins)

Comment

Whoever thought that the ups and downs of civs would be so edible?

Comment

must have sometihng to do with the amount of times spent eating meals whilst playing civ, especially in MP games while you wait for everyone else to finish their turns ...

Comment

Working...
                              X