One cool feature of Civ I was city defection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One cool feature of Civ I was city defection

This used to happen occasionally when you were doing really well. A city from another civ would "envy" your progress and wonders and defect to your civ. It was a nice wild card. I would like to see it in civ 3.

It would also be nice if you were in danger of losing cities if you fell behind.
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Yes I do remember that feature. I think it was only the AI that could loose a city and not the Human.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph1944
      Yes I do remember that feature. I think it was only the AI that could loose a city and not the Human.
      you are correct....

it went something like "the citizens of york admire the prosperity of samarkand" :rebellion: usually in some area of the map that you hav'nt colonized and of course surrounded by your enemies LOL
      Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

My civ is always admired and envied

It could be good in multiplayer for the "builders" like Markusf and Deity. Those who fall behind otoh could be in deep do do.

In other words, I would like to see human players at risk of it.
        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

There's already going to be something like this in Civ3. It was confirmed by Firaxis a little while back. No I don't have the link either so don't ask. Except it's going to go a little different. It will have culture to be the determening factor if a city will defect or not. If a low culture city is next to another civ's high culture city that city might defect over to the other civ.
          However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

Oh goody

That will help slow down a lot of warmongers who build nothing but military units.

Comment

I remember that, when you used to be buzzy crushing a Civ there lowest city would swap rather than get attacked. I forgotten all about this. It would be could if this or some varient was included.
              I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow. As surely as night follows day.

Comment

It would be could if this or some varient was included
                There is, look at my post up there.

I also like it being this way because it will stop from the gay AI building a city right next to my cities when that area is clearly mine.
                However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

yea, its called "enroaching culture". basically if a small enemy city is swarmed by another (greater, more powerful, more improvements) culture, it is possible for that city to be assimilated.
                  "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                  - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by TechWins
                    There's already going to be something like this in Civ3. It was confirmed by Firaxis a little while back. No I don't have the link either so don't ask. Except it's going to go a little different. It will have culture to be the determening factor if a city will defect or not. If a low culture city is next to another civ's high culture city that city might defect over to the other civ.
                    When I was playing with the Americans on an Earth map, a greek city defected to me. All of america was mine, and I was really pleased with the "gift"! But if what u say is true, then there won't be any more transatlantic defection! Nay, I prefer like Civ 1!
                    "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
                    Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
                    Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
                    Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

Working...
                    X