City Production Possibilities...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• City Production Possibilities...

Everyone loves making super high production cities in Civ 2... and what bugged me is, if my city produces 200 shields, why can it only produce 1 (60 shield) unit? I think cities should be able to take FULL advantage of their production every turn. How about being able to say "put 100 shields into making this superhighway" and "put the rest into making that B-2" all in one turn. Not only would this encourage big city building, but it would also be more realistic. Why should a city making 60 shields a turn be able to make just as many tanks as a 120 shield city?

Re: City Production Possibilities...

Originally posted by 1
    Everyone loves making super high production cities in Civ 2... and what bugged me is, if my city produces 200 shields, why can it only produce 1 (60 shield) unit?
    Well, you perhaps have a point seen from a theoretical view. But I really prefer a stiff max-limit of 1 unit/ 1 city-improvement per city/turn, regardless of wasted output, anyway.

The reason to this, is that it would be too easy to misuse this cheat in a very gameplay-destructive matter. You could virtually overflow the map with 7-8 cheap & effective spies/diplomats or cheap musketeers/riflemen, from one mega-city/turn alone. Not to mention if several mega-cities cooperated. After only 3 turns from 3 mega-cities, you could end up with upto 70+ spies, or musketeers/riflemen. What about the added micro-management?

Finally, it would be far too easy to create "unbeatable armies" this way, with help of massive amounts of cheap, but defence-competent musketeers/riflemen. It would only become inflationary in the end - and the human player could exploit that much better, because of his map-overview advantage over the AI.
    Last edited by Ralf; June 23, 2001, 14:30.

Comment

Re: Re: City Production Possibilities...

Yeah, that would be a little too much micro-management, but it is a good idea anyway.
      "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." -- Commisioner Pravin Lal, U.N. Declaration of Rights
      "A ship at sea is its own world. To be captain of that ship is to be the sole and absolute ruler of that world." -- Colonel Corozan Santiago

Comment

This would be another effective solution to prevent ICS and BAB (or at least make it less succesful) - now 1 mega city would be able to rival in the production speed with 6-7 smaller cities.

I think it is a good idea.
        The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God?
        - Frank Herbert

Comment

Re: City Production Possibilities...

Originally posted by 1
          Not only would this encourage big city building, but it would also be more realistic. Why should a city making 60 shields a turn be able to make just as many tanks as a 120 shield city?
          As I mentioned earlier Im against building several units/CI:s in one city, in one single turn. At the same time I must admit that Im rather sympathetic about the "encourage big city building" part of your argument.

One could of course argue that a huge 200 shield-output mega-city (this means Civ-2 Manhattan Project in 3 turns, without any caravan/freight help - is that even remotely possible?) that builds a spy for only 30 shields, could save the 170 shields to the next turn. Then 170 saved shields + 200 new ones would turn into 370 shields. But this would only prolong the problem: what about the next turn, and the next? You would end-up with a constantly overflow-growing shields-mountain. And building Wonders would be far too easy, by deliberately build cheap units in advance, in order to accumulate the shield-overflow. Not good.

A final solution would be that you could sell any shield-overflow automatically to a heavily reduced junkyard-prize. This overflow-junk would then at least bolster your economy somewhat. Important though: Any small overflow-amounts would NOT transform into junk-money. ONLY really big overflow-amounts over a certain rather high level; so that ONLY huge mega-cities is likely to benefit from this economically.
          Or perhaps if you have missed the chance building a big Wonder, and theres no other worthy wonder-projects in sight. You could then produce any unit/CI of your choice - and, if the wasted overflow is big enough, you at least could reap an added economical junk-recompense.
          Last edited by Ralf; June 23, 2001, 16:11.

Comment

I think its and idea with some value but of course it has to be refined to prevent the abuse that Ralf mentioned. Perhaps limiting the max number of units per turn and city to 2 or 3?
            It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

First of all how are you even able to get 200 shields? If you really do without cheating than that is awesome.

Personally I don't like the idea of multiple building because of all the reasons Ralf listed.
              However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

Well in response to Ralf.... obviously other parts of the game would have to be changed in order to accomodate this. Most likely, the most simple solution is best... and that's just to raise production costs on certain units. No harm, no foul. This way the problem is addressed and we are both happy (and btw, I just made up the 200 shield city thing, just as an example, though I have done it before with 4 irons and lots of hills I believe)

Comment

Let's see: assuming no food caravans, four irons, you've got to have 8 farmland grasslands to keep your city at size 20. It's possible to all of the grasslands producing shields. Add to this the 28 shields from the mined/RR irons and the (21-8-4)*4=36 shields from the mined/RR hills, and you get 72. Multiply by the 2.5 Factory/PowerPlant/Manufacturing bonus to get 180. I guess that's close enough for me. Has anyone ever actually seen this without setting up a custom map? I don't think I've ever even seen four irons grouped perfectly. Very lucky, 1. I've never gotten a city above 110; it seemed useless.
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Actually, I just realized that coal's better than iron. It gives the same seven shields, but also a food. That means I can change one of the grasslands to hills, netting me 3 shields*2.5 = 7 when rounded down. 187 shields. Closer...
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

You can do it food caravans, and make everything hills

Comment

As long as my bomber can kill the lame musket stack, I see no problems with massed units.

Besides, the upkeep is going to kill them.

Comment

Ummm..wrong thread?
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Double and triple unit/city building production (the shields would either a: be evenly distributed (or) b: be distributed by a side slider bar to assign priorities.

and unit queing should be allowed in civ III.
                            -->Visit CGN!
                            -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

What if your production was pooled for your civ? It would be up to the player to distribute the production points amonst the cities to fill competing needs. It would certainly limit the need to build wonder-assisting caravans as in Civ II and would provide the ability to quickly build a unit or improvement that you have to have immediately.

On the other hand, now that I think about it, it would create the same problems as being able to build multiple units/CI's in one city at the same time, so maybe that isn't such a good idea.
                              "Pessimism: Every dark cloud has a silver lining, but lightning kills hundreds of people each year who are trying to find it." - demotivational poster

"It's not rocket scientry, you know." -anonymous co-worker

Comment

Working...
                              X