No announcement yet.

Social Interaction and Unrest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GGS is one year old. It takes a long time because we are not professionals, but hobbyists.

I meant tha we should make our own civ 3
    I wish you all the best.

Comment

How should Unrest Work?

Hi Vetlegion,

I've mentioned this before in previous posts, but I believe there should be 2 levels of political unrest: City based (which can lead to seccession) and Region based (which will lead to a "Revolution"). Whether unrest occurs would be based on "Loyalty". A city's loyalty to it's parent civ would be dependant on factors like: cultural strength, happiness/unhappiness, corruption, distance from capital, strength of previous culture (if applicable), economic strength and number of garrison forces. An unrest check would occur when Loyalty falls below a critical level. It would also be checked when you change government, build certain wonders/improvements/units or begin researching certain technologies or when your capital is captured.
      If the loyalty check fails, then the city goes into a state of unrest (production slows, corruption increases, unhappiness increases etc). The unrest worsens each turn until you either stop the unrest or the city seccedes. If a city is in a state of unrest/seccession, adjacent cities must also make Loyalty checks. If enough cities seccede, then you have a state of potential civil war (and a new semi-civilization!) You can either try and conquer the seccessionists militarily, or you can attempt to deal with them like any other civ! If a seccessionist army manages to capture your capital, then loyalty checks must be made to see if any more cities break away (as well as losing all Capital city benefits).
      Regional loyalty simply uses the average loyalties of all cities sharing the same Land Mass. If regional loyalty drops for any reason, then a regional unrest check needs to be made. In this situation, all cities are in some level of unrest, but cities with very low levels of loyalty will become "Hot-Spots". If this unrest is not checked, then a revolution will occur. This is like unrest, but all cities must check loyalty to see if theywholly join the revolution. These cities must be re-taken in order to put down a revolution and the nature of the revolution is dictated by which faction has the greatest influence in your society (Like workers or military, for example).

Anyway, just a few thoughts. Do you have any suggestions?

Yours,
      The_Aussie_Lurker.

Comment

Originally posted by ADG
        I have to read 2 books in the hollydays
        Man, you've only got to read two books and you're complaining? Does nobody read for fun? I've polished off at least 20 books in the last month, in addition to working full time. I'm sure you can read two books in 4 months.
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Ok, I ment something else with City-Region-State question, but it is material for another thread

1) There should be several major groups in a Civilization- Merchants, Military, Clerics, Workers, criminals and Scientists (later in the game you might even have environmentalists)
          These groups are very different, but I assume you meant Industrial Workers, because all other groups are also workers in respective proffesions. In that case, only Enviromentalists are a different kind of group, since they are not a full time job. Any Priest (Cleric) or Scientist or anyone may be Environmentalist too.

You may devide your people by several factors: work, religion, nationality, race and some other too. If I had to pick one, the division by work sounds most reasonable. But the trend in making suggestions for next generation civ game is to have "models" for each of those categories.

So you have a model describing how those work classes behave, Religion model which describes how Religion behaves and so on. Some models are very advanced, and isolated, they look perfect. It becomes a "consistency problem" when you put (in a thought experiment) all those models to work together.

The nature of the unrest depends on the most dominant group in your society (eg. workers unrest will lead to a slowing of production rates, wheras military unrest will lead to military units disbanding!)
          and

the nature of the revolution is dictated by which faction has the greatest influence in your society (Like workers or military, for example).
          The two you mention belong to the same Characteristic Class, and same model. The problem occures when you mix models. Which group is dominant: Merchants or Protestants? Germans or Farmers? When some Merchants are obviously Protestant and some Germans are Farmers.

Since a guy can be Black, Merchant and Turkish (he can be more, depending how many models exist, and to how much detail you want to go) we need to know at certain times which model controles each man.

This is particullary important in Unrest, Riot and Rebbellion situations... but also in Peacetime. We can not have religious uprising and racial uprising happening at the same time.

Anyway, just a few thoughts. Do you have any suggestions?
          I have come up with two things that may work:

1) having a "first come - first served" system, where we only allow one Unrest/Riot/Rebellion at a time in a given City. So if there are two or more cross model unsatisfied groups, we let the first to "explode" and "lock" the others in position to avoid number of rebels exceeding number of people that actually exist.

2) having a system where population would decide what is more important to it at the moment, for example their rights as a Black or their rights as a Muslim, and react accordingly. This dynamic "activity switching" would also allow flexibility in other areas, as we discussed in:

Both ways seem effective. The second one is a bit more sophisticated, since the population is self-regulatory, but is harder to implement. The first, where we have models that "get" control of people is easier to implement and will likely be the way to go. But there is room for discussion

Comment

Working...
          X