No announcement yet.

Zero-Player Option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sure that Firaxis have thought of this, as it is the fastest way for them to check the game balance for AI and special units
    "An Outside Context Problem was the sort of thing most civilisations encountered just once, and which they tended to encounter rather in the same way a sentence encountered a full stop" - Excession

Comment

yes

Yes

YES

YES

JUST PUT IT IN. IT CAN'T HURT

Comment

What the hell put it in. As long as it doens't slow the release date down. I mean if the game could come out in early October without it and with it the game would come out 3 weeks later, I don't want it. Maybe if just one week later or the same time I say why not. I'm sure it wouldn't take that much time to implement this either.

Those dates are just hypothetical.
        However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

Originally posted by Myrddin
          I'm sure that Firaxis have thought of this, as it is the fastest way for them to check the game balance for AI and special units
          I heartily agree.
          - mkl

Comment

just not very useful as the Ai has never been clever enough... although you could use it as an easy way to learn how AI plays and then use that agaisnt them
            GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

eh?

Originally posted by Jarouik ...I actually watched the computer play Civ2 for hours on a huge map...
              Hang on, how do you actually do that? Are you talking about Civ II? I can't think of a way you could start a zero-player game...What do you have to do?
              A fact, spinning alone through infospace. Without help, it could be lost forever, because only THIS can turn it into a News.

Comment

Re: eh?

Originally posted by JosefGiven

Hang on, how do you actually do that? Are you talking about Civ II? I can't think of a way you could start a zero-player game...What do you have to do?
                Start a new game, activate cheat mode and the go to chose human player anbd pick:
                No Human player (if you manage this right you can controll the barbarians for a different guerrila like game!).
                No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

Re: Re: eh?

Originally posted by Henrik
                  Start a new game, activate cheat mode and the go to chose human player anbd pick:
                  No Human player (if you manage this right you can controll the barbarians for a different guerrila like game!).
                  Yes, that is the way to do it... there is one feature, though, I would rather live without: the game won't advance from one turn to next automatically, since it will still show you all of the notifications and pop-up boxes for the civilization you had selected before picking No human player. It would be great if the zero-player mode had a pause function, but would otherwise proceed automatically with no clicking needed, so you could run it on the background or while away from your computer. Really, it would make a great screensaver!

Comment

Re: Re: Re: eh?

Originally posted by Jarouik
                    Really, it would make a great screensaver!
                    The whole CIV III game as a screensaver?

Man, you should have a real underused Pentium 4 1.7GHz with 256MB of RAM to feel the need of a screensaver so... gorgeous
                    "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                    - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: eh?

Originally posted by Adm.Naismith

The whole CIV III game as a screensaver?

Man, you should have a real underused Pentium 4 1.7GHz with 256MB of RAM to feel the need of a screensaver so... gorgeous
                      Actually, it shouldn't be difficult to do... Firaxis could just include on the cd a small screensaver module that, when triggered, starts up a game in a special zero-player demo mode

(Although it would take a while to start up the game, I agree...)

So perhaps they could have the whole Civ 3 code load into your system memory when you boot the computer, so then you can start a game really quickly whenever you want to, since once you have Civ 3 you will be playing it all the time anyway

Comment

That's what they did to balance SMAC. I remember Firaxis saying that they just taped down the enter key and left the computer running while they ate lunch and stuff.
                        I not only dream in colour, I dream in 32-bit colour.

Comment

You know what would be really cool, is if you could do this for scenarios. Just grab some popcorn and watch the nazi's march across europe. Then watch the allies kick their butts.

It would also be cool to be able to record a no human player game, that way you could watch your favourite campaigns over and over. It would also be useful for finding out the AI's mistakes, and analyzing them in depth.

Comment

Working...
                          X