No announcement yet.

Allied liberations and one last chance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In a game I would used the treaty only to benefit my nation and would if necessary turn on a allied or friend in split second. It is a game only, not life.

Comment

::a sweeping realization hits Uber KruX::

civ is only a game?

::he walks outside and melts::
      "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
      - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

I think Uberkrux's idea of an "ally" is what everyone else would call a "vassal-state".
        I'm consitently stupid- Japher
        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

the Romans have rich oil fields, and you have been giving them 50 gold a turn for a few drums of oil. those rich oil-producting cities were taken over by the Greeks. You then go in and take the cities from the Greeks. So now you have 5 or so, already developed size 6 cities, making YOU oil for FREE and your large military presence in the area.
          Of course this mean you will meet with your ally (the Romans) after the conquest and discuss the aftermath. This is (i hope), what Firaxis means with their "expanded" diplomacy. Should the Romans demand all their cities back and still ask for 50 gold a turn: run them down!

Comment

What about allies that are more powerful than you and lose cities due to stupidility or the one turn rail raid. Would you risk it and not give back the city UberKruX?

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX

read all my posts dimwads

i stated that i only help allies that help me in some way. (tech biatch, money, etc)
              I have read it twice, but I misunderstand you: may be because of your joke about "she under your desk"
              I understand that in your opinion they aren't good enough points to make an alliance. In fact, you follow that path with your

after the million gold I just paid them for the oil I used to make MY tanks that I sent to take over the Greeks cities? I have to give them back? and resume paying THE WEAKLING WHO CANT HOLD HIS OWN CITIES?

sounds like a plan to me.
              Yes it is: call it Desert Storm
              and IMO, no one would sign an alliance where the terms are "you give me oil and i give you alliance". Sounds more like bullying than a friendship.
              Ehrrr, it is the usual foreign office duty of superpower, isn'it?
              "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
              - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Originally posted by MORON
                What about allies that are more powerful than you and lose cities due to stupidility or the one turn rail raid. Would you risk it and not give back the city UberKruX?
                more powerful than me?

hasn't happened yet.

and yes, as i said before "all the land is mine, the other civs are my tenants". i guess those are vassal states.

oh and incase you wanted a first hand view of the "expanded diplomacy" i know of a screenshot.

http://www.strategyplanet.com/civili...ges/shot35.jpg

perhaps you havent seen that one yet.
                "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."

Comment

I hope culture will be a powerful enough factor to make you WANT to give back cities to your allies because it is more convenient to have them trading you goods than having to ruthlessly repress the city culture in order to harvest the resources yourself. I would fully expect any alliance to decay toward hostility if my "Ally" was ruthlessly crushing my culture somewhere on the map, or I theirs.

If culture turns out to be a weak force that is quickly mollified and absorbed in a few turns then the whole concept will be a gimmicky failure. If it keeps forcing you back to the diplomacy table as the cheapest means of achieving what you want then it will be a success.
                  To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                  H.Poincaré

Comment

grum: i agree.

culture should not be easily subdued.

but it should be able to be subdued by the presence of a large military.

in any case, i just dont want military rule completely phased out.

there have been various instances throughout history.

Comment

Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't it be possible for one to reach a very favorable agreement to give back a liberated city ? I had no opportunity (if anybody outside of the dev team had) to play Civ3, but I believe that one could get better deal terms than prewar ones if one has something significant to barter for. For instance, you had a 50 gold per turn for oil deal, it could become a 1 gold per turn for petroleum if a city is given back.
                      Just my .02$
                      De biais si je peux, de front si je
                      dois.

Comment

Uber: I'm entirely happy with allowing cities to be ruled by any nation that is prepared to station 6+ divisions in the suburbs...provided giving the city back and asking nicely would get you that trade good for the equivalent cost of supporting 2 divisions What I won't be happy about is if stationing 6 divisions there will see the "rebel" culture assimilate to your culture at one head a turn so that in ten turns or less it is safe to march off and leave a fully pacified city behind you - particularly if your ally stays allied and happy while this goes on.
                        To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                        H.Poincaré

Comment

I think that having to finnacially support the military is really going to hit us warmongers hard. And it is going to cause the kind of alliance you're talking about, where rather than post 6 divisions to guard against rebelling citizens you give the city back and get the oil you want for free.
                          By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may get to be a boss and work twelve hours a day.

Comment

it said in a screenshot that agreements (like i give you 50 gold a turn for oil) last until war.

perhaps i missed a "cancel" or "refit" option somewhere.

but imagine you still had to pay them the 50 gold.

stupid romans.

Comment

In the Romans being attacked by the greeks scenario, personally I would liberate the cities from the greeks (maybe taking one or two close by greek cities) and ask the greeks for peace. The romans would come up and ask me for their cities back and I would send my tanks into the streets of Rome. I am a tech/builder type when I play, but in that situation (i.e I have my tanks in perfect striking distance of the weak Romans, in a war thats probably going to last five or 6 turns max) then to hell with the romans, i'll take their (supposedly) high culture cities. On the other hand if they were as powerful (or more??) than me and they somehow managed to lose a ciy, yes I would give it back.
                              - Biddles

"Now that our life-support systems are utilising the new Windows 2027 OS, we don't have to worry about anythi......."
                              Mars Colonizer Mission

Comment

Working...
                              X