Military Rule vs Culture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military Rule vs Culture

Which do you like better, forcibly keeping your citizens content, or that whole culture trip?

or is militarism a cultural thing?

basically, im just saying which do you like better, having a huge army to quell your citizens uprisings, or having temples and junk.

will it even be possible to just be a military civ?
    I like military rule, and the concept that my civ will stay in line if I smack them down.
    13.04%
    I like cultural enhansements, whereas I like pretty temples and dancing fairies.
    43.48%
    I think militarism is, or should be, a cultural aspect.
    26.09%
    I'm confused.
    17.39%
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

quoted from http://www.firaxis.com/civ3/asktheteam_040601.cfm
    The culture value of your civilization directly affects your borders (among other things). This encourages even the most war-prone players to invest in the culture of their civilization.

"I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."

Comment

if you dont want to build a civliastaion paly another game !!!!!!
      GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

the early mongolians were a civ, weren't they?

you know the ones that ran through china killing entire villages and raping the local inhabitants, leaving huge piles of human skulls in the village square to scare off any remaining people?

i bet they had lots of temples.

Comment

Believed it or not, I like to developed my cities first. However once I'm assaulted, will go for the kills just as fast as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX
            the early mongolians were a civ, weren't they?

you know the ones that ran through china killing entire villages and raping the local inhabitants, leaving huge piles of human skulls in the village square to scare off any remaining people?

i bet they had lots of temples.
            The mongolian empire didn't last for long...
            No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

you beat me to the reply henrik, my point exactly, most war like civ havent survived for the long haul, usually broken up from within like Alexanders Greece after conqueirng most of the world.. His generals after his death broke up his kingdom into minor ones...

not too many military based civs last/////
              GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

hhhmmmm, I dubious, to say the least, that this poll has any value what-so-ever.

It could of been crafted so much better....
                "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
                --P.J. O'Rourke

Comment

Military Rule should be part of culture- several culutres used it:
                  The Mongols
                  Feudal Japan
                  English Castle Warriors
                  etc.
                  -->Visit CGN!
                  -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

SOrry for the history lesson....

Acctually,Feudal Japan was....well,lets not say a civilization at the time.Feudal Japan was cut up into over a 100 diffrent clans that vyed for power after the Emperor lost power,instead,The emperor feebly retreated to his palace in Kyoto and practiced Tea ceremonys while ruthless Daiymo hacked his nation to peices.It didn't last very long either...many of the clans did'nt last over 10 years,and the 7-8 that emerged to power weren't "military" goverments,they were more like mini-monarchys rulled by the warrior king Daiymo.Naturally the Tokugawa shogunate was founded...and the mini monarchys became one big fascist monarchy.

Very few civilizations can be said to have been trully "war Civs" that existed for the sole purpose of battle.The mongols were nomads,a definate plus for a all military liestyle but they're sorched earth tactics left little for them to rule and the empire they built broke down as the tribal leaders returned to Mongolia to fight with themselfs.
                    "Battle is a combination of all your skills,therefore,to be excellent at battle is to be excellent at life"-Me

Comment

Working...
                    X