X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i like the irrigated tiles
    they look great!!!

Comment

Nadexander, I know what you're saying, the graphics so far do look great, but they are not as good as they can be.

It's been a long time since Civ2, and even SMAC.

Let me say, I really hate those 3D graphics, they are too fine and unrealistic looking, so I'm not asking for 3D graphics here, I'm simply asking for some quality looking graphics.

I just realised while I was having lunch that Firaxis may want to make the land easy to change, so maybe thats why the land is not so complicated looking. But still, I hope they allow a lot of the land to be changed in a big way. Not just the look of each tile, but to control how the tiles work aswell.

However, I also want to at least inspire them some way some how.

Comment

I hope that we will have those terrain files like we had in Civ2 so that you will be able to change them all to such great graphics as the one in that pic.
        "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Re: Re: Large Screenshot (400k?) and debate

Originally posted by Nadexander

BTW It looks to me like a very large city will occupy more than one square!!
          Wow! I also noticed it only now. It's a major improvement IMO.
          I always thought that cities should take more than one tile, it's far more realistic.

But in the pic we are still in the beginning of the game(look at the units), so the city is probably not very big, but still takes more than one tile. I hope that they wont exaggerate with the city sizes.
          "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Re: Re: Large Screenshot (400k?) and debate

Originally posted by Nadexander
            BTW It looks to me like a very large city will occupy more than one square!!
            Hmm! Does this mean that one can found a city one square away from any ocean-squares - then later then that city literally have expanded, nevertheless get ocean-access; enabling the option of building a harbour? Or is it just a graphical thing?
            Last edited by Ralf; June 9, 2001, 05:09.

Comment

maybe Ralf or you can just build on the water and have it expand inland only.
              -=-NakaNaka-=-

Comment

Originally posted by NakaNaka
                maybe Ralf or you can just build on the water and have it expand inland only.
                I wonder if it matters how many tiles the city takes.

Comment

The cities can expand over the land tiles, the very first screenshot shows it.

Comment

I think you've done a great job, ContradictioN -- I especially like the wheat, tho' as you say if large areas were all the same it might look a bit boring, so there'd need to be some way of showing the underlying terrain type.

But I have more basic question: Do we know for sure that what we've seen in the official screenshots IS the (almost-)final state of the graphics? Somewhere I seem to have picked up the idea that Firaxis have some really cool terrain graphics in development that they're not showing us just yet. I can't remember where or what I read that gave me this impression. Has anyone else picked up that idea, or have I just misunderstood something?

If the screenshots we've seen are truly IT, then I share your sense of slight disappointment, and any improvements -- like yours -- are very welcome!
                    Ilkuul

Every time you win, remember: "The first shall be last".
                    Every time you lose, remember: "The last shall be first".

Comment

the wheat
                      Maybe different cultures should have different crops shown growing around their cities... ie rice or corn.

If not by culture, perhaps civs starting on the same continent should grow the same crops...

Seems better than everyone growing wheat just cause that's what the people at firaxis eat the most.

Comment

lol, love your idea Geoff

Comment

sooner or later firaxis will do answer our calls.

most likey the latter.

i propose making an account with email askthecivteam@firaxis.com, and sign them up for auto notify on all the important threads.

that would get the message over.
                          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                          - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Working...
                          X