Scenarios in Civilization 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scenarios in Civilization 3

I read somewhere (I think it was in the june issue of PC Gamer) that Firaxis plan to implement 12 (?) scenarios in Civilization 3. Is this correct? Which scenarios should be in?

That we'll get WWI and WWII is pretty obvious, perhaps also a Cold War scenario. We'll probably get a future and a fantasy scenario too.

I hope we'll see one of the crusades, something with the mongols, the american revolution, the roman empire, the 100 years' war, the 30 years' war, something in the caribbian ocean (the colonies, Aztecs, Maya etc.), perhaps the Black death, the unification of China/India, the Rise of Russia etc. etc. etc.

Any guesses/ideas?
    We shall go on till the end,
    We shall fight in France,
    We shall fight on the seas and oceans,
    We shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air,
    We shall defend our island,
    Whatever the cost may be,
    We shall fight on the beaches,
    We shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
    We shall fight in the hills,
    We shall NEVER surrender.

(Winston Churchill)

i dont really care how many or which ones they include as long as they have good expansion packs with lots of scens and easy customizability so there will be many available online. Hell, i dont even care if they ship any! when im bored of playing the regular game, im sure theyre will be tons online and in the stores already! (not to mention the option of multiplayer)
    And God said "let there be light." And there was dark. And God said "Damn, I hate it when that happens." - Admiral

Comment

Remember that not everyone has access to the internet. Scenario-makers can concentrate on making other scenarios than those already implemented. Besides; scenario-making takes time, and it will take a while before we'll get a decent amout of scenarios available, you can't argue with me that it's nice to have some scenarios to play at the very instant civ3 is published? I agree on your views on easy customizability, though.
      We shall go on till the end,
      We shall fight in France,
      We shall fight on the seas and oceans,
      We shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air,
      We shall defend our island,
      Whatever the cost may be,
      We shall fight on the beaches,
      We shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
      We shall fight in the hills,
      We shall NEVER surrender.

(Winston Churchill)

Comment

I read somewhere too that firaxis is looking for a way to export scenarios from civ2 into civ3. not sure how it would work, or even if they'll do it for sure, but i think they were looking for a way to do it.
        -connorkimbro
        "We're losing the war on AIDS. And drugs. And poverty. And terror. But we sure took it to those Nazis. Man, those were the days."

-theonion.com

Comment

Here are a few ideas;

*Napoleanic wars.
          *The British Empire
          *Shaka Zulu
          *Crusades.
          *Alexander the Great
          *Athens vs Sparta.
          *Egypt (Ancient times).
          "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
          --P.J. O'Rourke

Comment

There is no way Firaxis will convert civ 2 scenarios to civ 3.

I don't play scenarios much, though they should release a cd a few months later with heaps of scenarios on it. I don't believe Firaxis are currently up to working on scenarios or multiplayer. Anyway heres what i'd like to see:

- A Medieval Europe scenario
            - A Roman Age scenario
            - A Post-Modern scenario
            Alex

Comment

I think you all forgot about an American Civil War scenario. I mean, people even want to make the Confederacy a civ

Comment

I don't usually play scenarios myself so I'd rather Firaxis spend time elsewhere but my suggestions are -

Warring States Period in Japan
                3 Kingdoms Period in China
                Age of Exploration (I don't know any real name for this, though I used to. It's the time period around Pirates!)

What happened in 1066? (Forgive my ignorance)
                I not only dream in colour, I dream in 32-bit colour.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean
                  Here are a few ideas;

*Napoleanic wars.
                  *The British Empire
                  *Shaka Zulu
                  *Crusades.
                  *Alexander the Great
                  *Athens vs Sparta.
                  *Egypt (Ancient times).
                  Would choose nearly the same Perhaps WWI and II also, but generally I prefer ancient/medieval. Other ideas:

- Persian Wars
                  - Punic Wars
                  - Caesar´s campaigns

And if scn making is as good as Fireaxis has said, then I´ll definately make scns for civ3
                  Blah

Comment

Originally posted by eNo
                    What happened in 1066? (Forgive my ignorance)
                    Only wilful ignorance needs be pardoned. In 1066 William I of Normandy invaded England and established himself as king. Since then all English kings have been related (often quite distantly) to him. There has never been another successful invasion of Britain. I hope for a 1066 scenario myself, along with:
                    American Civil War
                    Crown and Parliament (Cromwell vs. Charles I)
                    American Revolution
                    Napoleon (1789-1815)
                    Islaamic Expansion (7th-12th centuries)
                    Boer War
                    Mongol Expansion
                    Pelloponesian War
                    WWI
                    WWII (whole world)
                    War of the Spanish Succession

The chances of my list matching theirs exactly is about 1 in a flurg, but I already had enough trouble cutting myself down to 12!
                    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Killing it is the new killing it
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by King Richard
                      Remember that not everyone has access to the internet.
                      yes, but i would go so far as to say that *ALMOST* everyone who does have a computer also has access to the internet or a disk drive from whence they can get scens from a friend/fellow civver.

Originally posted by King Richard
                      Scenario-makers can concentrate on making other scenarios than those already implemented. Besides; scenario-making takes time, and it will take a while before we'll get a decent amout of scenarios available, you can't argue with me that it's nice to have some scenarios to play at the very instant civ3 is published?
                      Well, it would be nice, i'm not saying they SHOUlDN'T, my point was that for *ME*, I would prefer that they concentrate on other topics, but i also realize that i am probably in a minority
                      And God said "let there be light." And there was dark. And God said "Damn, I hate it when that happens." - Admiral

Comment

Once again, I post here my humble suggestion I already wrote on the CTP II forum about the same subject; I left some reference about CTP II proposal, just for history (new name of lazyness ).

I see almost every proposed scenario focused on war. While I agree that fighting (in games) can be very fun, I think that limiting CIV III as a wargame is not making great use of its engine.

I support ideas as Cold War, Napoleon, or after Nuclear exchange Fallout-like, still I would like to see some scenario where war is not the main backbone.

Just to suggest some themes:

1) run to the moon (discover the needed tech on appropriate tech tree, with or without other countries help, and having enough production points for enough time).
                        It could be a variant of the Build the starship to Alpha Centauri, but starting right in modern era (after WWII).

2) italian renaissance (some little states deeply involved in trade, diplomatic move and limited fights, while arts and sciences grow to industrialization)

3) age of explorations (some limited and dedicated exporer units must survey - and survive to native encounter - every square of the globe)

4) save the earth (quickly solve a scenario where production is growth so high that pollution is almost out of control. Tune down production, improve eco-enhancement, clean up polluted area and save the world from global warming, trading and treating with less developed country to join your efforts). Added difficult: manage a (insert your opinion as adjective here) USA leader that don't care of world pollution as if he'll live on Mars ten years from today

5) world peacekeeping (stop every war using diplomacy, money or - as a last resource - your U.N. peacekeeping forces - in a defined turn limit, with the limit to free back every city you conquer in a few turns - you can't conquer the world just to force the peace)

May be my suggestion are a bit crazy and have some limits to be implemented in an interesting way, but I would like to suggest a different point of view about common (war) scenario approach.
                        "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                        - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Perfectly said, Adm. We talked about this subject last year in this forum and we agreed that with different ways of winning, that would expand the possibilities of different types of scenarios. As I said yesterday, the ability to create/play a variety of robust scenarios is the MOST important feature of Civ3 for me personally. This is going to become critical for some civers who will get burned out after a month or two from playing and replaying the main game.

BTW, I really hope some of you scenario designers will get cranking on creating custom units/civs/terrains/events/etc. as soon as the game is released and not bother with playing it.

Comment

I must add that any scenario can be used simply as a premade map, just automatically removing cities and units.

I'm not sure if special resources should be left where they are placed or recalculated random.

The former is more logical, but can be too much related to the boundled scenario, and a bit short on replayability...

Any opinion?
                            "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                            - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Some good ideas from Adm.Naismith for scenarios.

One that I would really like to see is The Greek City States (Kinda like Athens vs. Sparta but not necesarily as war based).
                              You could choose your city state and then have to dominate the peninsula in one of a number of ways: economically, diplomatically, culturally or militaily) to make it harder, maybe you ahve to do all four ways.
                              - Biddles

"Now that our life-support systems are utilising the new Windows 2027 OS, we don't have to worry about anythi......."
                              Mars Colonizer Mission

Comment

Working...
                              X