The Facts About Civ 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adm.Naismith
    Is "catching two birds with a stone" the proper sentence in english, about this proposal?
    Killing two birds with one stone

A feat of quite impressive throwing or slinging skill, I must say, unless the stone in question is several feet across and lobbed by a trebuchet
    To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
    H.Poincaré

Comment

I think it shall be something as: "Hit two flies with one slap."

I know this is a bad translation, from Swedish: "Slå två flugor i en smäll". I would really like to know what it is in English.
      Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

"Hit two flies with one slap."

"Slå två flugor i en smäll".
        You stand correct

In Dutch:

"Twee vliegen in een slag slaan"
        C. Gerhardt
        onorthodox methodes are the way towards victory

Comment

As far as I can tell, these isolated facts aren't worth much. How they interact remains to be seen.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Here are some ideas for wonders of the world, if there will be 12:

Ancient:

The Great Sphinx
            The Lighthouse Of Alexandria
            The Collousium Of Rome
            The Great Wall Of China

Rennaisance:

Leonardo Da Vinci's Workshop
            Copernicus' Telescope
            Gutenburge's Printing Press

Industrial:

The London Exchange
            The Great Canal
            Newtons College

Modern:

Earth Space Station
            Genome Project

Here are some ideas for mini wonders:

Internet
            The Sattelite
            Pencillin
            Cure For Cancer
            Temple Of Thebes
            Magellian's Journey
            Galilo's Ideas
            The Empire State Building

Also, i think if Firaxis are going to create civ-specific units, they could possibly create civ-specific improvments and wonders.
            Alex

Comment

Here is another confirmed wonder of the world:

The Pentagon

Hopefully more info will be avalible in the next Firaxis site update.
              Alex

Comment

Here is another confirmed wonder of the world:
                The Pentagon
                Dude this hasn't been confirmed so stop spreading rumors that it has been confirmed. Just because it's in the screenshots doesn't mean it's confirmed. It's kind of like your thread about the two granaries. At least I think that was you. Well anyways nothingh is confirmed until Firaxis has said that it will be in the game.
                However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

Gramphos, C. Gerhardt: It's also that way in Finnish. "Tappaa kaksi kärpästä yhdellä iskulla."
                  "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
                  "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

Originally posted by TechWins

Dude this hasn't been confirmed so stop spreading rumors that it has been confirmed. Just because it's in the screenshots doesn't mean it's confirmed. It's kind of like your thread about the two granaries. At least I think that was you. Well anyways nothingh is confirmed until Firaxis has said that it will be in the game.
                    Actually there was a very clear city view screenshot which showed the Pentagon, no mistaking it. So one way or another, the Pentagon is in the game!
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Why are there less Civ's in civilization 3 and also why are there no more players alloud. Are we forever going to limited to 7/8.
                      I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow. As surely as night follows day.

Comment

Apparently there are supposed to be 16 civs allowed to play simultaneously. And no one knows if the number of civs available is limited to 16. We will just have to wait and see...
                        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

16 Civs is pretty good, considering the fact that you can make your own civs (this has been confirmed), i don't know if it will be abel to handel 16 civs at once, but if it did it whould be awsome.

I would agree with you if the screenshot was a beta test, however it is labeled 'in game shots'. Firstly, that is unmistakebly the petangon, secondly, it's doubtful that they would throw out an idea and graphic that simply, and finally, i am the person that said the stuff about the two granaries, and i'm not wrong! . This is beyond a mier speculation, artwork is expensive and ideas were planed much before any development in coding the game began.
                          Alex

Comment

Originally posted by Grumbold

A feat of quite impressive throwing or slinging skill, I must say, unless the stone in question is several feet across and lobbed by a trebuchet
                            Sorry, I missed your reply (and the following by Stefu, Gramphos, C. Gerhardt...). Thank you, it was the "motto" I tried to remember.

In Italy we have some little different, about two pidgeon catched by a single green "bait".

You should agree it's more easy to trap two birds in a single trap then shoting down them with a single (large) stone

Sorry, I'm going Off Topic

Alex, I think you are correct about Pentagon wonder (maybe with a different name...). Ok, it's not fully confirmed by Firaxis, but what really is it today?

Not mentioning that any military part is not officially confirmed by its same nature...
                            Last edited by Adm.Naismith; June 21, 2001, 09:30.
                            "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                            - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Working...
                            X