Tech Tree Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech Tree Question

that Firaxian in the video said that "if i click here, on construction, it will queue up all the advances until it reaches that"

in civ 2, sometimes you COULDN'T get an advance you wanted.

what will the "queue" do if it cant get that advance?

i expext / hope it prompts you.
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

i hope they take that out! that always pissed me off when I was about to research monothesism and it didn't show up on possibly advances, and then it wouldn't show up again fort he next time, then someone is beating me to michealangelo's chapel. i think that took strategy out of the game, hopefully they eliminated that.

Comment

I sort of liked the fact that you couldn't necessarily get every advance as it came. It prevented people from falling in love with a particular means of tech advancement, and kept them innovating. Also, it made you think twice about putting off an advance until you really needed it to stop the AI from getting Michelangelo's Cathedral, since you might screw yourself.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

civ 3 is going to have, what I consider, a horrible feature.

in order to advance to a new age, you must get ALL the techs in your current one.

no more diving for gunpowder
        "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."

Comment

Diving for gunpowder is a cheesy tactic anyway.
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Well that might not necessarily be a bad thing thing because now instead of hauling a** for a specific unit you can concentrate on facilities that will facilitate fast research out put. This means that you'll have to plan ahead and not live in the moment.

Comment

bah, it all comes down to the fact that the first civ with gunpowder will have a major defensive advantage.

and if your playing online with a bud or two, and you all dive for diffrent things and trade, hell, you have guns, crusaders, and ironclads

Comment

You merciless madman!

Who do you think you are -- Bismarck??
                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX
                  in order to advance to a new age, you must get ALL the techs in your current one.
                  Not ALL: It is all major techs.
                  Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

bismarks the bomb.

but Napoleon was the shiznit.

Comment

Vgriph where did you read that it said all major techs and not all techs? I also read it the same as UberKrux did. If you could show some proof of where you read this would be nice.
                      However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

I found the place where I thought I read it. Anyway it wasn't exactly as I said: You have to invent almost all except some less important techs. I'm really sorry, but I was almost right, it wasn't all.

from the URL bellow
                        The tech tree is split into four sections: Ancient Times, Renaissance, Industrial and Modern. The new rules are that, in order to advance to the next section of the tech tree, you pretty much have to complete everything in the section before it, except for what we call the arts or intellectual pursuits.

For example, you don't have to develop horseback riding in order to advance to the next era, nor anarchy, republic or literature. But literature gives you the Great Library, so they're useful to have. The whole new concept with the arts is that they're things you don't need to progress, but if you have them your civilization is much stronger and more developed.
                        Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

How can you head for a certain technology when you're not supposed to know it exists?

Firaxis has to try and eliminate that problem, because it's not right to be able to head for something that you know of, but the AI doesn't know, when in reality, you too shouldn't know what a gun is in 3500BC. It's an unfortunate problem in Civ, which is why I kind of enjoyed the future parts of CTP, but unfortunetly they did a crappy job of the future, they just took it too far.

Comment

For example, you don't have to develop horseback riding in order to advance to the next era, nor anarchy, republic or literature.
                            you have to research anarchy?

thats a laugh.

Comment

cool all the punk rock lovers will be glad to research anarchy!!! Not sure if it would be on my lsit of must haves !!
                              GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Working...
                              X