Trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade

As i understand, Firaxis said that a trade route can only be established by building a road to that resource or city. Does this mean their will be no sea resources, and no means to trade accross islands?? Trading by ship was established far before people traded by roads, but even so their must be some means of trading through sea routes at some stage of civilization.

Also, as meantioned before resources should exhaust, i think that some reasources should run out faster than others - this will get rid of having phalanx units in the 20th century .
    Last edited by Alex 14; May 31, 2001, 03:08.
    Alex

Also, as meantioned before resources should exhaust, i think that some reasources should run out faster than others - this will get rid of having phalanx units in the 20th century .
    as a resource depletes, another one is created on the map, so bronze will never be gone completely.

Does this mean their will be no sea resources, and no means to trade accross islands??
    if you have a harbor in a city that is connected to your capital, you can build cities on far continents, and if they have a harbor, their resources are added to the trade network.

im not sure how colonies on an island would work... i think you need a city.
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

I f colonies are used to access land resources, how do you access resources from the sea? Do you think there is a new tile improvement or something to gain access to these? Or is there a new type of unit in the game that build some sort of a sea colony?
      DO, OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY - Yoda
      EAGLES MAY SOAR, BUT... WEASLES DON'T GET SUCKED INTO JET ENGINES - Unknown
      AMBITION IS A POOR EXSCUSE FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE TOO STUPID TO BE LAZY - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX
        as a resource depletes, another one is created on the map, so bronze will never be gone completely.
        To the best of my knowledge this is a speculative hypothesis suggested by an Apolytoner to explain how additional resources might be continue to be discovered as time goes on. All we know from official sources is that there is a mechanism to allow further supplies to be found and a reference to having to prospect to find them. Have I missed something?
        To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
        H.Poincaré

Comment

Unfortunately that sounds true, I've heard nothing about resource regeneration, only depletion, hopefully we'll never lose all the iron resources, humanity has been mining it for thousands of years now and I've never heard us being short on supply. I'm sure that Firaxis will implement what SMAC had, which was random appearances of resources as the years go on. It makes sense, hopefully what'll happen though instead of resources just popping up randomly is instead a entirely new resource region will pop up as the old one gets depleted. It would be a great game feature if say the Middle East runs out of oil, only to be replaced by Siberian/Alaskan oil fields. Suddenly rich Middle Eastern civs lose all political influence. It would make for a great game dynamic as resource monopolies shift all around the glode

Comment

if you have a harbor in a city that is connected to your capital, you can build cities on far continents, and if they have a harbor, their resources are added to the trade network.
            Great, but what if you want to trade with one of your cities accross a small ocean?
            Alex

Comment

I f colonies are used to access land resources, how do you access resources from the sea? Do you think there is a new tile improvement or something to gain access to these? Or is there a new type of unit in the game that build some sort of a sea colony?
              How about Fishing boats? And later on, Oil and natural gas rigs. Are there any other resources from the sea?

Comment

Originally posted by SerapisIV
                It would be a great game feature if say the Middle East runs out of oil, only to be replaced by Siberian/Alaskan oil fields. Suddenly rich Middle Eastern civs lose all political influence. It would make for a great game dynamic as resource monopolies shift all around the glode
                Hehe, I can already imagine a powerful Eskimo and Inchuk lobby in the Congress and GWB declaring war against Polar (and other) Bears (pesky creatures disrupting oil production).

Comment

Working...
                X