No announcement yet.

What's with these 'minor civs'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm pretty sick and tired of this "minor-civs"-speculation! Where did this rumour come from anyway? I haven't read about it in any preview or at Firaxis, so what is all the fuss about? If there is any minor civs, these must certaintly be the barbarian huts!?
    We shall go on till the end,
    We shall fight in France,
    We shall fight on the seas and oceans,
    We shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air,
    We shall defend our island,
    Whatever the cost may be,
    We shall fight on the beaches,
    We shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
    We shall fight in the hills,
    We shall NEVER surrender.

(Winston Churchill)

Comment

King Richard: how do you like this winston Churchill quote:

Lady: Sir! You're Drunk!
      WC: Yes, and tomorrow I'll be sober, and you... you will still be ugly
      And God said "let there be light." And there was dark. And God said "Damn, I hate it when that happens." - Admiral

Comment

King: Way back Firaxis did say that there would be minor civs. Maybe you missed it.

Comment

Originally posted by dainbramaged13
          King Richard: how do you like this winston Churchill quote:

Lady: Sir! You're Drunk!
          WC: Yes, and tomorrow I'll be sober, and you... you will still be ugly
          I've heard it before. That's just one of many excellent quotes from a great (constantly pissed) man!

Joseph1944: I've missed that! But aren't these the barbarians?
          We shall go on till the end,
          We shall fight in France,
          We shall fight on the seas and oceans,
          We shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air,
          We shall defend our island,
          Whatever the cost may be,
          We shall fight on the beaches,
          We shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
          We shall fight in the hills,
          We shall NEVER surrender.

(Winston Churchill)

Comment

Well; all of us are waiting for Firaxis to tell us what is happening.

Comment

It didn't say that there would be barbarian cities they said barbarian encampments. Just to get the record straight.
              However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

Originally posted by TechWins
                It didn't say that there would be barbarian cities they said barbarian encampments. Just to get the record straight.
                Correct. It probably means they didn't grow, but always act more as a 1 pop city: attack it until undefended and you'll destroy it.

Just for history, I was one of the posters guessing about barbarians city (encampment) as a Minor Civ. Now I don't feel Firaxis is follow that line anymore.

Until Firaxis will state otherwise, I'm assuming Minor Civ feature is dead, as economic victory and plenty of different early suggestion.
                We'll see if we'll have enough fresh meat left to old Civ backbones.

Ok, probably my last paragraphs sounds silly in english: at least it do in italian too
                "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                - Admiral Naismith

Comment

One of the earliest previews/announcements mentioned that when a barbarian encampment is allowed to become fog-of-war again, it will most likely reappear. I like the idea, but don't recall if it was confirmed as true since.

Comment

yeah, it's probably dead or maybe they're trying to hide it from us as a surprise addtion. Maybe I"m just hoping.
                    However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

You are probably right that it is dead, but the idea has many supporters out there.
                      Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Originally posted by SerapisIV
                        One of the earliest previews/announcements mentioned that when a barbarian encampment is allowed to become fog-of-war again, it will most likely reappear. I like the idea, but don't recall if it was confirmed as true since.
                        I believe what was said was that when a barbarian encampment was destroyed a new one would appear elsewhere within the "fog-of-war".
                        I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

could firaxis PLEASE respond!?!?!?
                          And God said "let there be light." And there was dark. And God said "Damn, I hate it when that happens." - Admiral

Comment

I expect, as Dan Magaha said about colonies, the fine detail like this is still under review. I'd be pissed if killing one barbarian just creates another one equally close to me, or that an area I had discovered before but is currently 'fogged' can spring newly formed barbarian camps overnight.
                            To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                            H.Poincaré

Comment

I don't think it's automatically placed close to you, but just somewhere else on the map, until the world runs out of uncivilized locations.
                              I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                              I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Bump...Come of Firaxis Dan or some other Firaxis employee, give some kind of comment on what's going on with minor civs and/or barbarians and how they are in Civ3

Comment

Working...
                                X