This is paiktis22 signing off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is paiktis22 signing off

Unfortunately and no matter what I've tried the new forums load excrutiatincly slow on my pc and 56k modem.

It has become a chore to read the messages and post.

I leave untill I get a better conection or the widrawl syndrom becomes too dire

I give control and moderation of Civs Included. Just the facts madam #2 to Locutus if he will have it.

It's been great

Untill we meet again, this paiktis22 signing off.

You tried the Apolyton Light style format? I use a 33.6 modem connection at home too, I know it sucks, but I'd rather not skip out on the forums

Comment

I feel your pain man. Even on my cable modem initial thread loads are suprisingly slow. Quite disappointing if you ask me. But hell, I'm not gonna leave until I'm kicked out.
      Mother ****ing goddamn ass chewing, **** sucking son of a *****

Comment

The main reason for the Forums being slow are the fact that all pages are generated at the server before sent out to the one browsing. That means that nothing is cashed. In the old forums, without all these options, the posts were saved as html-pages.
        Now why are the generated pages slower to load then fixed pages?
        There is a main reason for this. Before the only thing the server did was editing the html-pages and generated the thread listing. Now the server generates all pages that are viewed. This increases the time before the page starts to load as it has to be generated by a program on the server first. As this server obviously isn't optimized for the big amount of page generation this new system has generated the server must be working for its full capacity to generate all the pages viewed. It can’t generate too many pages at a time, so many of the users are out on a queue before the page starts load.
        So, paikitis22, even if you have a faster connection the speed won’t be superb, there will still be a "wait while page is generated" time that is specific for the servers and the amount of pages that are viewed in every movement.
        Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Use the "Light" thingie. It is much better, most of the annoying pics are gone.
          "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Originally posted by Eli
            Use the "Light" thingie. It is much better, most of the annoying pics are gone.
            I actually prefer the "light" version, even though I use Cable. Cleaner look.

Comment

actually vgriph, page creation takes around 0.2 to 0.6 seconds so there is no delay from that part....

btw, this thread is 40k using the light style. not that much, right
              Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
              Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
              giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Well I have found this system fairly efficient and quick, even with the images on a 56k. I think sometimes it gives the impression of being slower because it displays the page as it is downloading. But it is merely a thing of perception. I don't think it is any slower...
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

The full mode is quite fast for me as well even though I have a 56k connection at home.

I don't mind it personally.
                  Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                  GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Paiktis22, try the light version before you live. It has less graphics and will load pages faster. I personally have a 33.6 modem connected to OTENet and I don't have serious speed problems while I am using the default version and not the light one .

Comment

Try killin' the avatars, too. They can be a real burden...
                      Lime roots and treachery!
                      "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                        actually vgriph, page creation takes around 0.2 to 0.6 seconds so there is no delay from that part....

btw, this thread is 40k using the light style. not that much, right
                        Everything loads mush faster now then I wrote this, but it depends on the number of simultaneous readers. Right now it's 63 on the boards, yesterday it was almost the double, and that affects speed.

If the server is far from Sweden that could explain the higher loadingtimes instead of the page creation. It may also be the bandwidth from the server, but I doubt that.
                        The only thing I know for sure is that the number currently on the boards affects the loading times. Once again I tell you: Its your system, and you know it better then I. Right now there are absolutely no loadingtimes with my 56k modem, but yesterday I experienced long waitingtimes and even timeouts with the 100M connection at work.

Comment

the server is in canada...

and it is obvious that your connection to your isp doesnt make a big difference when two times more people are sharing the same connection of the server to the internet....

oh, paiktis, greek office hours are great for apolyton posting...
                          Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                          Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                          giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                            and it is obvious that your connection to your isp doesnt make a big difference when two times more people are sharing the same connection of the server to the internet....
                            Actually I was there after office times, as I go to school usual working times and sometimes have to restart the Server for some changes in the configuration. Therefor I'm quite sure that I was the only one using the connection.

Comment

I'm very sorry to see you go, paiktis, esp. for something like this Others have already explained how to make things better on a slow connection and Markos is still making changing to the boards all the time as well. But I'll try to take care of your thread now you're gone, hopefully until you realize what a silly decision this was and decide to come back...

CU (I hope),

Locutus
                              Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Working...
                              X