Unofficial Poll 7: Acts of Nature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unofficial Poll 7: Acts of Nature

i know that this thread is already been addresed, but i want to check out the new poll feature so im doing it this way.
    Yes! I want random acts of Nature along with Random human catastrophes!
    74.60%
    Yes! But I dont want the acts to be random
    1.59%
    Yes! But no random human catastrophes
    9.52%
    No acts of nature
    14.29%

The poll is expired.

"Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

That could be interesting in an annoying kind of way.

Could certainly add something to the game.
    "Let us kill the English! Their concept of individual rights could undermine the power of our beloved tyrants!"

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc

Comment

O no, we're going to be flooded by polls from now on

Comment

I don't like the idea of random environmental disasters, because it focuses on micro elements of the game. Take a famine, for instance: Some years are good farming years, some are bad. The simpler Civ2 system averages these into a food bonus based on the average and general productivity of the land.

Civvers already suffer from bad terrain; for instance, having no river with which to irrigate your plains is the same as an extended drought until you build aqueducts and irrigation to counter this. Random acts don't really add anything to the game, they just turn game trends into instantaneous acts.

So what's the problem with this? Well, random acts that cannot be stopped are very frustrating. If I build an irrigation system, and then have a drought anyway, I will feel helpless as a player. So my take is to leave the environmental factors to the environment and terrain, and keep them long term factors instead of instantaneous penalties.
        Lime roots and treachery!
        "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Originally posted by cyclotron7
          If I build an irrigation system, and then have a drought anyway, I will feel helpless as a player. So my take is to leave the environmental factors to the environment and terrain, and keep them long term factors instead of instantaneous penalties.
          Is it not possible to have a drought despite having an irrigation system? I'm no farmer but it seems to me this is possible.

Anyway, I favor random acts of nature. I'm not sure what is meant by random human catastrophes, but I would probably favor those too. Maybe they can be an option, to make everyone happy? There are a lot of Civ I features I'd like to see make a comeback (in some form) and this is one of them.

Comment

Wow... it will take me some time to get used to this format...

However, rendom acts of nature were grat in Civ 1, and I think there shuld be an option to turn them off, but it is as in real life, there were, adn still are towns, adn regions devastated randomly by natural disasters, and it should be represented in Civ III. Plus tere could be regions where these occur more often.
            Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
            GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

As long as the random disasters can be turned off then I'm all for them. They'd make the game more interesting, but would add an additional element of randomness and thus unfairness in mp games. So give us an option to turn them off.

Comment

Why not make all of the options, options in the game?
                You should be able to pick each one of the ones in the poll if you wanted to
                No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

Looks like im the only one who voted for no acts of nature....
                  I WILL FORCE MY ATTITUDE ON EVERYONE MUAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA
                  "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

I wouldn't mind if CIV3 had RANDOM acts of nature and/or human catastrophes - AS LONG AS these are in actuality "random" and not random for the human(s), hardly ever for the AI Civilizations. Oh, and I believe this rule should be able to be toggled on or off in the beginning of the game.
                    "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                    "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

New Level of Strategy

Having Random effects would add a whole new level of strategy and depth to civ.
                      -->Visit CGN!
                      -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Having Random effects would add a whole new level of strategy and depth to civ.
                        No, it is obvious that by definition, having random events would add a whole new level of randomness to the game. If you like that, fine... but explain to me where strategy comes in???
                        Lime roots and treachery!
                        "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

The acts of nature should be random, but they don't necessarily have to be totally unavoidable. They should reflect the realities faced by settlers and colonists and the risks associated with certain terrains/climates, etc. For example, the risks of settling close to volcanoes goes without saying. Cyclones only affect coastal tiles in tropical lattitudes, rivers are affected by floods, only certain locations are affected by earthquakes, etc.

Sure, if you don't want them, turn it off at the start of each game, but let those who want it be able to have it!

All we ask of Firaxis is that they allow it to be turned off, and if left on it affects the AI as well as human players!!! This is a must!

Comment

Acts of Nature sound nice, but there should be the option to turn them on/off.
                            Blah

Comment

Wow! 82%+!!!

A pity it's only 30 or so votes, though, so keep those votes coming so Firaxis can add it to this wonderful game!

Comment

Working...
                              X