Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something is terribly wrong!!

OK,

I just got conquests, installed, started a new game, and now, a short while after I'm 100% sure that that my two rival (known) civs have map making, and I have map making, I can't trade maps!! Not territory, or world maps!! Is this an isolated bug, or did they take out map trading??

-Thanks

they delayed trading maps to navigation thats all

Comment

phewww...thanks I thought I got a defective conquests or something...

Comment

Also: Contact trading is now delayed until Printing Press.
        Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
        Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
        7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Yeah, that's a pitty.....
          It used to be one of the few things I was about to trade in the early game on high levels
          Formerly known as "CyberShy"
          Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

I don't like map trading being delayed. What was the reasoning behind that?

Mankind has had crude maps since, well... a long time ago .

How do you think the Mediterranean was so well navigated.

Comment

I like extending the “exploration period” and having a longer period of time that the world is largely unknown (particularly nice on the bigger maps) and communications are delayed. I hated having everything revealed so early and completely.

It’s not perfectly implemented though. The problem is the AI doesn’t explore seas half as aggressively as I do (and can’t use suicide curraghs /galleys) so I end up monopolizing contacts, geographic knowledge and trade for quite awhile.

It's a trade off.
              "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription is ... more cow bell!"

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                I don't like map trading being delayed. What was the reasoning behind that?

Mankind has had crude maps since, well... a long time ago .

How do you think the Mediterranean was so well navigated.
                I agree with you and was on the side that made a similar argument at the time they implemented it during the beta.

As for the reasoning, however, I do see some value in it. The reasoning is that contact trading so early in the game allowed, from a GAMEPLAY standpoint, a lot of rather weird ahistorical stuff. If you played on an Earth map and the Japanese were trading techs with the French because the Chinese had traded Japanese contact to India, India to Babylon, Babylon to Greece and Greece to France, you begin to understand how it warps the early game.

Another major part of the reasoning was to give the expansionist trait some real power. With contact and map trading delayed until the middle of the Middle Ages, the expansionist civs with their scouts have more of an advantage mapping the board and making contact with civs early in the game.
                Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Delayed map trading actually hurts the expansionist trait. Maps are basically useless to the AI, but they pay big bucks for them anyway. Expansionist map and contact trading used to be one of the easiest ways to catch up in tech on Deity in PTW.

Comment

It makes expansionist more valuable in MP anyway.
                    "Got the rock from Detroit, soul from Motown"
                    - Kid Rock "American Badass"

Comment

I have to say, I really like these new features! Its weird how you can discover the entire known world before you have monotheism...makes the game seem more authentic this way.

I also love the addition of marshes, oasis', sugar, tobacco & all these other great things. My current game with the sumerians is insanely fun.

Comment

Except for some bugs that were reintroduced in C3C (though no one knows why), I believe that most people will agree that Conquests really balances Civ3 and makes it 'whole', so to speak.

If it weren't for those bugs...and weakened AI/barbs...
                        I AM.CHRISTIAN

Comment

very, very passive barbs. Afraid to lead their twenty horseman out of their camp to attack your sole warrior guarding the town.
                          Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Originally posted by Shogun Gunner
                            very, very passive barbs. Afraid to lead their twenty horseman out of their camp to attack your sole warrior guarding the town.
                            Who says barbs can't try the builder strategy?
                            I AM.CHRISTIAN

Comment

Get units on the NW-SE axis of the barbs, and they'll move ...
                              Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                              The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Working...
                              X