barbarians...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• barbarians...

i jsut started a game as china and had jsut killed off the last of the japanese... when i got the word that there was a barbarian uprising near my southern most town... so i sent an extra warrior to beef up my horsemen guarding the town... when by the eastern most city of my expanding empire was another uprising that i wasnt aware of... i managed to knock off a couple of the barbarian horsemen but not enough and they ransacked my city with 9 horsemen! about 20 gold per barbarian... then the uprising to my south went to a totally different town and ransacked that with another 5 horsemen taking about another 10 gold per unit... i was known as the richest nation in the world... after those two uprisings i was pretty much broke... has this happened to anyone else? or am i the only lucky one?

What version are you playing? Barbarian uprisings happen as soon as two civs have entered the next era. Every existing barb camp spawns eight or so horsemen and they go roaming. If you aren't prepared, that can happen. I've been there.
    Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Back in PTW days, I lost a wonder build in my capital due to a barb uprising (most of my units were at the battlefront on the other end of the empire). Of course, I had combat advantage vs. barbarians set to zero.

Comment

I remember when Civ3 first game out, someone from Firaxis (I forget who) was challenging us to try to figure out what event sparked the barbarian uprisings. He even gave us a bunch of hints, but as I recall, no one here could figure it out and so he eventually told us.
        Firaxis - please make an updated version of Colonization! That game was the best, even if it was a little un-PC.

Comment

The number of units in a barbarian uprising depends on the level of barbarian activity. I believe it's 8/16/24.
          Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
          The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by albiedamned
            I remember when Civ3 first game out, someone from Firaxis (I forget who) was challenging us to try to figure out what event sparked the barbarian uprisings. He even gave us a bunch of hints, but as I recall, no one here could figure it out and so he eventually told us.
            Har-de-har! That was Soren, IIRC
            Diderot was right!
            Our weapons are backed with UNCLEAR WORDS!
            Please don't go, the drones need you.

Comment

just vanilla civ3... i wasnt even close to enetering a new era... i believe i had just gotten mathematics or mapmaking or something.... before the uprisings there were about 5 barbarian camps on my island ... they kept popping up too... ive never had a problem with them until this agme....
              does the barbarian problem kinda go with the civ? like how china kept having problems with barbarians... because i have never really had a problem with barbarians as teh french or americans....

what were the events that sparked the uprisings?

Comment

KuriousK724, when any 2 civs in the game enter the next age, any remaining barb camps will spawn many barbs and you'll get an uprising warning.

Barb camps spawn in the "fog of war", any large areas on the map that doesn't have a city or consistant military presence (none A/D units don't count, such as workers and scouts) to take away that fog will spawn Barb camps, even in the modern age.

Comment

ill have to check my game again but im pretty sure that i am like 3 or 4 techs away from the medevil age....

if in the modern age will the barbarians produe mech inf or rifleman? or jsut the same old warrriors and horse men?

Comment

Nope, unlike in Civ2, where Barbs scaled up with the techs reached, in Civ3 you just see stacks of Barb Horsemen, no matter the difficulty level or which age is being reached.

The big question is whether to leave camps you are using for barb farming purposes during an Age change, or whether to kill them because of the risk of being overwhelmed.
                    Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Originally posted by KuriousK724
                      ill have to check my game again but im pretty sure that i am like 3 or 4 techs away from the medevil age....
                      Uprising is determined by when 2 of any civilization in the game, known or unknown, human or AI, enters the next age. Barbs don't wait for human before they throw their fit.

Edit: Just wanted to add that when you see a stack of Barb horsemen at your doorstep, spend your gold! Each barb that invades an undefended city takes away a percentage of the gold that you have (not sure of the actual %), and if you are out of gold, I believe they destroy the shields you've accumulated towards your current production. If there are no shields to sack, I believe each Barb takes away 1 pop.

But I could be wrong with the order that happens though, as I haven't had an uprising in a while, a good REX really helps to take away all that fog of war.
                      Last edited by PeaSoup; May 23, 2004, 12:56.

Comment

ok i see what you were saying... the other civs advanced ages so that they are the reason for the uprising... i understand this alot more clearly now... tahnk you everyone!

Comment

I believe there's an element of randomness in what the barbs do. I've had chains like

lost gold - lost gold - lost pop - lost gold - lost production

when they've sacked my cities.
                          Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                          The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Working...
                          X