Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If I eliminate a civ does that hurt rep?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I eliminate a civ does that hurt rep?

I started a completely random game (with the graphics mods - cool) and ended up on an island with just the French - galleys had to stop 4 turns in ocean squares before contacting any other landmass.

Anyway, I made a gpt deal with France to get all their tech, then I broke the deal and eliminated them. I read somewhere once that if you get rid of them before they make contact, nobody will know you were bad and your rep will be ok... is this the case in 1.22 C3C?
    If pigs could fly we'd all have to wear helmets.
    Please don't be envious of my little girlie brain.

Yes, it is, AFAIK.
    Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Yep it's still the case. In the strategy forum it's known as the Arrian Deception.

Comment

On the other hand if you eliminate a civ that HAS made contact with others, your reputation is screwed for most of the rest of the game....
        "Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender B. Rodriguez

Comment

Is that elimination in general?

What if a civ declares war on you and you proceed to wipe them off the map? Is this considered a negative?

Comment

Not unless you raze any of their cities, IIRC. You only get rep hits for breaking treaties, declaring war when you've got troops in their territory, or razing their cities.
            Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
            The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

I didn't know about this little gem. Nice.
              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
                Not unless you raze any of their cities, IIRC. You only get rep hits for breaking treaties, declaring war when you've got troops in their territory, or razing their cities.
                ummm....yea....like....

i may have done some or all of those things in my current game

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
                  I'm pretty sure that if you knock a Civ completely out of the game the AI looks at it as some sort of genocide.

So they will both hate and fear you

Comment

Originally posted by spy14

Which makes it much easier to demand and expect tribute.
                    "We may be in a hallucination here, but that's no excuse for being delusional!." K.S. Robinson, 'The Years Of Rice And Salt.'

Comment

Originally posted by spy14

I'm pretty sure that if you knock a Civ completely out of the game the AI looks at it as some sort of genocide.

I'm not positive, but I believe that a true reputation hit will only happen if you are in an military alliance involving a per turn deal (gpt, resources, etc.) with another nation and you annihilate the first nation. The alliance is considered broken along with the per-turn deal and all nations will look upon it as if you broke the deal. If the alliance you have does not involve a per-turn deal when you annihilate the first nation then it shouldn't give you a reputation hit.

Comment

Does the auto-razing of 1 pop cities count against your rep?

I thought that when a deal is broken by the death of a civ, the other civ in the deal gets the rep hit...at least it's that way with the human player.
                        I AM.CHRISTIAN

Comment

There is reputation, and then there is AI attitude.

There is a great AI attitude article over at CFC. Check it out.

Anyway, frankly the AI's attitude (gracious, polite, cautious, annoyed, furious) towards you means next to nothing, IMO. I've been sneak attacked via RoP by gracious allies, and I've maintained millenia of peace with furious enemies.

Reputation is all about trading. Unfortunately, you cannot directly see your reputation in CivIII like you could in CivII, but it's there in the sense that AI's remember if you've broken deals (except in the case of the aforementioned deception, when you wipe out the civ(s) that know about your backstabbing).

You can have a perfect reputation, and all the AI's can be furious with you. The thing is, a furious AI will still trade with you if your rep is good. A gracious AI will not trade with you (you paying via per-turn gold or resource in exchange for something up front) if your reputation is shot.

Many things negatively effect AI attitude, such as razing cities (to my knowledge, unfortunately, autorazing counts), violating borders, declaring war, and I think wiping out civs. You can boost AI attitude via trades, gifts and alliances. The exact breakdown is over at CFC.

But like I said, IMO, their attitude is just about meaningless. It's your reputation that matters.

-Arrian, the deceiver (I actually haven't done that in ages)
                          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Switch
                            Does the auto-razing of 1 pop cities count against your rep?

I thought that when a deal is broken by the death of a civ, the other civ in the deal gets the rep hit...at least it's that way with the human player.
                            Auto razing of one pop towns no longer happens in C3C IIRC.

As for the second point all I know for sure is that if you eliminate said Civ, you will take a hard rep hit for breaking deals. Which to me is a major bug - surely the war can end but you be allowed to meet your per-turn commitments.

Comment

Wait, wait... let me get this right: If you have a trade deal with a civ, and another civ wipes out that civ, you get a rep hit as if you broke the deal?
                              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Working...
                              X